• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

So I want Android - Model/Carrier Recommendations?

Ok, thought I would add my views for what they are worth, as this thread has drifted slightly off-topic.

My recommendation would the following:
- not go with the iPhone (it's a good phone lets be honest, but I don't like the Apple lock-down on everything). Keyboard is still exceptional & probably, still not yet beat. Expensive.
- Buy the Nexus unlocked & get a SIM only deal (if this exists in the USA?). The hardware is pretty robust & while there maybe still some issues (I think the latest update solved a good few of them - e.g. touchscreen going a bit mad at times requiring a reboot). This will be the cheapest way by far (and applies to any other phone - e.g. Hero). I had a Hero before & while it is a great phone, it force-closed a bit & takes ages for updates to come through, as it is a customised flavour of Android.
- The Droid is the choice if you want a physical keyboard. Not my cup of tea and I read a few reviews that weren't so keen on the keyboard.

Google will make sure that updates come to the Nexus quicker & first before anybody else, as it is in their interests (marketing, kudos, etc) to do so.

Can't talk about any other phones as I haven't tried them.

Be wary of unnecessary fanboyism on all sides.......just be aware that there are lots of Nexus users out there who don't have a lot of the issues that are being reported (and tend to be silent / not use forums).

Would I switch from my N1 - nope.......and I think it will stand the test of time better than some of the other Android phones.....

Upvote 0
You'd also wait forever with that approach. There's always something newer coming along.

While that is true, there are a few great phones just round the corner. The legend is an upgraded version of the Hero / Eris, the new iPhone will hit in June and there are many big screen Android options in the first half of the year (Incredible, Supersonic).

If you have enough time, I would wait it out and check your options other wise you may find yourself a little disappointed in 3 months time.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones