• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

So I was thinking...

andyo70

Android Enthusiast
Dec 2, 2010
Glassboro, NJ
The Optimus M, S & T are all pretty much or are the same phone aside from the branded crap cell providers put on them. I know they all have the same processor in them.

Say I was to take a custom recovery or OC kernel for the T or S and flashed it to my phone. What would happen? I'm not talking about using a custom rom for the T or S. I know that totally wouldn't work because the apks would be specific to the those phones only but the kernel and recovery just changes hardware fuctions. Am I wrong there?

Discuss.

Oh wait my phone boots just fine with the recovery from the Optimus S. It's just that when I try to go into recovery I get the custom menu in which the only thing I can do is go down the menu by pushing the volume up button.

If you know Linux, you can play with the recovery threw the adb shell terminal...

I can also make a test rom you could flash on the phone with this recovery until I finish one of the recoverys for this phone. Just a thought?

Upvote 0
The thing is the only thing I can do with it is navigate down the menu with the volume up button. No other buttons or combos work to choose any of the functions in the menu. Had to flash stock recovery back. Plus there was some error message at the bottom of the optimus-s recovery. Can't recall what it said.

I also don't know if anything every actually gets released i'll be able to utilize it. While it seems i can flash recoveries, i recently tested a custom boot.img which i got bad block errors on. Attempting to restore stock boot did the same thing. Had to completely restore the phone with LGNPST. Perhaps something is wrong with whatever internal device the boot.img is flashed to in my particular phone.

Upvote 0
The thing is the only thing I can do with it is navigate down the menu with the volume up button. No other buttons or combos work to choose any of the functions in the menu. Had to flash stock recovery back. Plus there was some error message at the bottom of the optimus-s recovery. Can't recall what it said.

I also don't know if anything every actually gets released i'll be able to utilize it. While it seems i can flash recoveries, i recently tested a custom boot.img which i got bad block errors on. Attempting to restore stock boot did the same thing. Had to completely restore the phone with LGNPST. Perhaps something is wrong with whatever internal device the boot.img is flashed to in my particular phone.

I can write you a script to tell the Optimus S modded recovery to flash the update.zip modified by me from the phone.
Let me know if you want to try it...

Also the boot.img could be corrupted. Maybe try to pull a new boot.img and try it with that one...

Upvote 0
I can write you a script to tell the Optimus S modded recovery to flash the update.zip modified by me from the phone.
Let me know if you want to try it...

Also the boot.img could be corrupted. Maybe try to pull a new boot.img and try it with that one...

Yes and yes to the test rom or whatever you were talking about a few posts up. I would have gotten back sooner but all this screwing around with the phone had my head spinning.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones