• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

So if I get the Nexus One...

MariposaNegra17

Jan 31, 2010
As of now I have an LG Dare on Verizon and I am eligible for and upgrade in July of this year. I really REALLY want to get the Nexus One and have a few questions:

Currently I pay $79.00 for my plan and $5.00 for insurance...If I got the Nexus One, the only difference would be the $30.00 data charge right?

Will I be able to upgrade to this phone, or would I have to pay the full retail price? (How much would I even get towards an upgrade from Verizon anyway?)

Let's say that when the Nexus One is released for Verizon, I will have the option to buy it for $530.00 or $180.00...what would the difference be? The more expensive one is unsubsidized and the other is subsidized with a two year contract...right? What does all of that mean? >.<

Thank you!:)

This isn't the answer to your specific questions but it is the best answer you will get: Wait six months until you're actually going to make a move. In six months time, who knows if the Nexus One is still going to be the most desirable phone to you.

I will proceed to answer your other questions for completion's sake.

1. How should we know? We don't know your plan.
2. How should we know? We do not know the details of Verizon's CDMA version of the N1 nor do we know what kind of subsidized plan Verizon will have with the N1. Regardless, it is likely you will be able to pay the full price and not get into a contract. See below.
3. Unsubsidized is purchasing the phone itself and not being tied to a contract. Subsidized is when you can get the upgrade discount ($200 off a phone or something similar) but you are tied to a contract.

You do not need to upgrade to purchase a new phone. You can purchase a new phone whenever you want. Getting Verizon to put the new phone on their network, however, is another matter. A CDMA phone, that is. GSM phones do not have this headache.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones