So if the OTA doesn't require wipe, why would a rom that's based off it?

1. Adamx

Adamx Well-Known Member

I feel really dumb just asking this, but I don't want to wipe anything and I don't want a separate radio install. I'd like to get root, do s-off, and do one rom flash or whatever that updates me to 2.2 and let's me get on with my life.

Someone linked to a rom that said it was based on the real ota 2.2, but that doesn't make sense to me if you have to update your radio first and wipe your phone, when the ota doesn't require that.

Should I just try to flash without backing up stuff and wiping and hope for the best? I think I have a phobia of some sort here involving stuff with more than 3 or 4 steps.

Advertisement
  2. ACD168

ACD168 Well-Known Member

I don't really understand you question(s). but I will do my best here.

you should always wipe. just do it. not worth it.

use titanium for a backup, or put the .apk on ur cpu and install through adb I actually like starting my phone fresh and re-doing everything.

if you want 2.2, do the RUU. keep s-off.
  3. wjdunn3

wjdunn3 Member

Maybe I got lucky but.... I updated to 2.15 radio first (still on stock Android 2.1 rooted) without any data wipe. I had no problems.

Today I applied Virtuous 2.3 froyo 2.2 with only a data cache wipe (coming from rooted stock Android 2.1 with 2.15 radio). I did not wipe the system data. No problems. All my apps were still in place and I did not have to restore anything from my Titanium backup. I have checked all the apps and all are working perfectly.

Your mileage may vary. If you are bone stock Android with only root, CM recovery and unrevoked3 then you should be fine.
  4. MisterMixelpix

MisterMixelpix Well-Known Member

The question is pretty logical.

A non-rooted phone can just hit the OTA and go from 2.1 to 2.2 without losing anything. But if I want to change ROMs, I have to.
  5. lafester

lafester Well-Known Member

well yes the the ruu does wipe the phone and the ota does not.
    what you are missing is that the ota SHOULD wipe your phone but does not because rooted users are very restricted in what they can backup and restore. if you use a custom rom you never HAVE to wipe but its always a good idea.

you will find that if you do wait for the ota you will end up wiping anyway because the the phone will not run very well with all of the old settings. apps will fc on you and the phone will be a little more sluggish then on 2.1.

the nice thing about rooting is the backup programs will now be able to save most of your apps and settings and be able to restore them with little effort on your part. you no longer need to worry about wiping your phone because you can get most of it back with a couple clicks.
  6. blarfmarfle

blarfmarfle Member

I'm one of those users who just did unrevoked3, which includes Clockworkmod and root. The only app I've installed is SetCPU. If the 2.2 OTA update comes down in the next few days, do I need to do anything special or just wait for it? What's all this about wiping if I'm not using a custom ROM or kernel?
  7. lafester

lafester Well-Known Member

yes you will probably need to unroot in order to receive ota.
    best thing to do is run s-off (unrevoked forever) so that you can flash stock recovery and then clockwork recover after you receive ota.

only reason to root if you want ota is to get s-off so that rooting after ota is easy if needed/wanted.
  8. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Well-Known Member

I don't know the answer to your question, but perhaps this is relevant. Most OS updates for computers allow upgrade installations without wiping, but most experts will always recommend a format and install for best results. True for Mac OS, Windows, etc. Average users, meanwhile, will always want to install without a wipe because it's easier, hence the OTA not requiring a wipe. Wipe!