So Im mid root and have some questions

Last Updated:

1. cremona

cremona Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I rooted my evo successfully wiyth unrevoked. I just purchased rom manager and instlled the clockworkmod recovery thing. Then hit backup rom because I think this is the way to backup my current state before adding a custom rom and kernel. What is the next step? I like the look of baked snack...also how do i apply kernels?

Advertisement
  2. wrapkgb

wrapkgb Well-Known Member

Well you did your nadroid back up so the next this to do is flash a rom and kernal! And you will flash a kernal the same as you would flash a rom. Check out the thread rooting for dummies+ extras... its a few threads down from this one. There are step by step instructions on rom/kernal flashing and plus a ton of usful info!

EDIT: and always remember.. nandroid, wipe data, wipe cache, and wipe dalvik! Always before you flash anything! Words to live by

cremona likes this.
  3. cremona

could u please explain to me those steps you mentioned to always do before flashing? also when u say wipe, will i use my backup to get everything back after flashing?

4. wrapkgb

When you wipe data its the same as doing a factory reset so yes you will lose everything but my back up will get all your stuff back. So what you will do is while you are in recovery you will select wipe and then it will give you options of what you want to wipe. First select wipe data. Second you will select wipe cache. Third you will select wipe dalvik. If you are using clockwork recovery dalvik will be under the advanced portion of the wipe section. Some people suggest wiping twice. But like I said before, always ne sure you make a nandroid before flashing a new rom so invase something happens you cann always go back.

cremona likes this.
  5. cremona

did the way i described my backup make sense. the phone rebooted and it seemed like it was backing up files for say...5 minutes?

6. cremona

Also how do i get the latest wimax upate and htc radio? This baked snack rom thread has links for them but i dont know how to install.

7. wrapkgb

You will flash a radio the same as a rom or kernal. So it will go something like this... rom, kernal, radio/wimax update, reboot. Radios are just updates so once you have the most current radio you dont need to update it again. And about your my back up I dont use my back up ao im not really sure how to answer it! I just back my contacts up with my gmail and my apps with app brain.

cremona likes this.
  8. cremona

the link for the newest htc radio update isnt working, do u know where to get this?

9. wrapkgb

Go over to the xda forums and search in the devolpment section for radio updates. There is a thread with all the current radios, wimax, prl and nv. Sorry I don't have the direct link!

cremona likes this.
  10. cremona

how do you install themes on top of roms? the baked snack thread says its running a version of thi guys theme....

11. wrapkgb

Im not real sure... I don't really mess with themes. My only advice is to do some reading over at xda. Im sure they some guides that will get you where you want to be .

cremona likes this.
  12. cremona

i figured it out...looks pretty awesome....another quicky

if i want to change my kernal...does this require a swipe an reinstall of the rom then kernal, or can i install the kernal over?

13. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

Nandroid backup. Wipe your cache and battery stats and dalvick (twice for good measure)and then flash the kernel. No need to full wile and reflahs the rom.

14. cremona

are certain kernels only supported on certain roms? i would like to try a kernel that has better performance...im only posting a 1400 in quadrant with bakedsnacks fastest kernel

15. cremona

does this apply for roms as well?