• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

So is that it? Can I get the Droid now?

crucifixion

Dec 17, 2009
As most on here, I've been waiting for CES to see if another Android phone better than the Droid was coming soon to Verizon. Its Thu Jan 7 and while I know CES is still going on, am I right to assume that there will be no announcement of a new phone? Or do I have to wait until CES is completely over? Because I want to get the Droid now and get to play with it over the weekend to get myself used to it...

Good Q. I'm in the same boat.

I think the best advise I've heard here is that Verizon is not stupid, they probably won't announce anything until that return deadline for holiday purchases.

What I'd like to know is even if "it" came out tomorrow, can I use my upgrade to get it, or do I have to pay full price. If that's the case, might as well jump in now.

Upvote 0
Yeah, but this is Verizon...Spring 2010 could mean thats when Verizon gets their hands on it...then they do their typical "testing" and it will be November 2010 before its released.

Now, if there was a fast hard date on it, say like how Verizon said the new Palm Pre will be there Jan 25th, then I would wait....but with Verizon, the Nexus one could be here alot longer from now

Upvote 0
As far as the Nexus One to VZW, I was looking at a few other threads and thinking about what another poster said

I just don't see Verizon waiting that long to release an Android phone with similar specs to the Droid but without a hard keyboard. Especially because I don't think it will cannibalize the Droid at all -- there are enough hard-keyboard fans to keep it trucking....

AND

If come "Spring" there are whispers of a Verizon iPhone, THAT will hurt sales of the Nexus One... Makes no sense to announce the Nexus One is coming to Verizon in 3 months... Unless (like I have said in another thread), it is a dummy "target date" to make sure a flood of Droids bought over the holidays (by people who didn't want a hard keyboard) don't get returned, then a real date will come out late Jan.

And then when you consider Verizon had their 60 day return policy for the holiday period...

Holiday Returns: All purchases made between November 15 and December 14, 2009 may be returned or exchanged through January 13, 2010. All other provisions of Verizon Wireless' Return and Exchange policy continue to apply.
Then I'm starting to think that after January 13th, Verizon/Google will announce that the Nexus One will be available on Verizon in late January? Perhaps at the same time they release the new Pre, Jan 25th?
Nah, that wouldn't make sense then. Probably the plan is to release the Pre Jan 25th, and then 30 days later (at least) then release the Nexus One.
This is the reason I want to get the Driod now so I'm not chasing month after month for a phone that hasn't had an official release date. I'm on a Storm 1 thats on its last legs and its really messing with my productivity having to reboot it 3x a day and going through is 5 min 17 second boot time so I need a phone now. But I could probably stretch myself out a month, but not longer than that.
So I guess I'll wait till Jan 13th, and if no Nexus One, then I'll get the Droid and see if within my 30 day return policy I hear an announcement of the Nexus One's official release date on VZW

Upvote 0
Then I'm starting to think that after January 13th, Verizon/Google will announce that the Nexus One will be available on Verizon in late January?

I'd love to believe this and I think it would be feasible (much like Vodafone saying a few short weeks despite the Spring 2010 label) considering Google said the obstacle is ironing out the service support logistics with the Google web-based store, but there's still no FCC approval on a CDMA version. I mean, I find it annoying that Google went on record as saying that this was the hold up. Truth be told, it's looking like the hardware isn't ready which has less to do with Verizon coordinating service plan sales with Google. With little to do on their end and little to support, Verizon could turn this around quickly...if the phone was ready to go. Thanks, HTC and Google. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
verizon already announced they are releasing 20 android phones in 2010, so pick wisely. i have the droid, 2 already crapped out on me but i love this phone, unless they make a droid with a pico projector (not a *** attatchment but actually in the phone) i will stick with this and smile everytime i hold it... which it never leaves my hands

Upvote 0
Thanks, I'll look into it tomorrow. I suppose I can suffer through using my curve a bit longer.

I'm curious as to if I'm going to have much trouble getting the phone being that I'm on my families plan and intend to use my Free Upgrade I receive every 2 years. I used it on my Droid no problem, but that was all done through the store.

Hopefully Verizon's implementation into Google's Phone checkout is elaborate enough to make this fairly easy.

Upvote 0
i dont know why wait... just when spring rolls around there's going to be something bigger/badder just on the horizon, then do u wait another 2-4 weeks and see if it does come out? then another one and another right around the corner. plus verizon sucks with release dates and timing ;p

i just opted for the droid now since its out and i need a phone. i hate exchanging and waiting for something thats months away (which is a long time in terms of what can be done in phone technology right now) ... i could go back to my blackberry but i just decided MY best bet was to do the better droid and go for the 1-year contract (i usually always do 2), which means in 10 months i get a new phone (1-year contract = 10 months for upgrade). its about 60 dollars more (so like 6 dollars a month more?) and when winter rolls around u can make an ever better decision on what happened with android this year. it was the best thing i could do considering how unpredictable everything is right now.

Upvote 0
I just don't see Verizon being able to top the Droid specs wise anytime this year (maybe next holiday season). So being that I've only had the droid for a month and a half, id rather just wait and get the newest model for the same price.

I really cant see verizon taking a long time on getting this going. In the press conference it seemed like it was just matter of implementing the service into google's site. With what somebody mentioned about them possibly waiting until after the holiday return period was over and Droid getting the 2.1 "very soon", I wouldnt be suprised if us Verizon nerds had one of these bad boys sometime in february (total speculation here).

Upvote 0
i dont know why wait... just when spring rolls around there's going to be something bigger/badder just on the horizon, then do u wait another 2-4 weeks and see if it does come out? then another one and another right around the corner. plus verizon sucks with release dates and timing ;p

i just opted for the droid now since its out and i need a phone. i hate exchanging and waiting for something thats months away (which is a long time in terms of what can be done in phone technology right now) ... i could go back to my blackberry but i just decided MY best bet was to do the better droid and go for the 1-year contract (i usually always do 2), which means in 10 months i get a new phone (1-year contract = 10 months for upgrade). its about 60 dollars more (so like 6 dollars a month more?) and when winter rolls around u can make an ever better decision on what happened with android this year. it was the best thing i could do considering how unpredictable everything is right now.

[Removed by mod] I don't want to see a single post griping about your Droid 3 months into that 10 months when there are 4-5 good alternatives available from Verizon. ;)

Upvote 0
I just don't see Verizon being able to top the Droid specs wise anytime this year (maybe next holiday season). So being that I've only had the droid for a month and a half, id rather just wait and get the newest model for the same price.

How about the N1? 1GHz isn't too shabby but due to different architectures hard to say it's really better than the Droid. But 3.7" OLED, wireless N, and 512MB RAM? I'd say that tops the Droid's specs.

Upvote 0
I just saw an article about the next 1.5 gig 2 core snapdragon processor coming next winter. just in time to upgrade from MY 1 gig!!

I realize there are many people that don't want to wait and claim the droid is a very capable phone (and they are right, i loved the droid). But for me, a light weight, nice rounded form factor, HTC product, 3.7 amoled device will be the ONLY thing that quenches my thirst for technology.

Upvote 0
So CES came and went and nothing new...so just going to wait till the 13th as I planned in my post in this thread and if no announcement, then I'll order the Droid

Yeah, if you're a Verizon fan/customer, CES was a huge DUD. The next mythical "something might happen" date is Friday (or Thursday) since Wed is the last day to return phones from the holiday period. Don't go holding your breath, though. There's MWC in February which might be a better bet.

Bah, what a snooze-fest this has been the last few weeks, save for the vague info from Google. Without a single rumor, leak, or hint from anyone, there's nothing from Verizon around the corner anytime soon. How depressing.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones