1. mudrock1000

mudrock1000 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Or is it just t-mobiles fault?

I've always wondered about this.

Advertisement
  2. Rusty

Rusty Well-Known Member

As in an MMS? If so, it's both really.

T-Mobile's fault for having a size limit, Google's fault for not having the messaging client resize them.

3. mudrock1000

Thank you SOOO much! :D

Do you know what the size limit is?

4. kaotix

kaotix Well-Known Member

There's a modified MMS apk available that allows you to change the user-agent for sending/receiving images as another device such as an iPhone which is fully supported by almost every network.

And to answer your question, it's the network. The default MMS apk resizes large images already it's just that the network doesn't know what a 'Nexus One' is and treats it as a 1990s camera phone with a screen size as big as one of the icons on the home screen :D

5. mudrock1000

So i could send my videos? Please tell me of this apk! I could really use it.

6. mudrock1000

I could really use that APK man. So Shameless bump.

7. Re4son

Re4son Well-Known Member

Noooooo im pretty tmobiles network has a limit of 300kbs for ANY device that sends out an MMS. Doesnt matter if youre on a NExus one or N900 or the shitty little flip phones, limit is 300kbs. Thats how i understand it for TMobile US and i THINK for the rest as well.

And no the default MMS apk does NOT resize images. At least my Nexus one doesnt.

To resize your images you can either install Handcent or Chompsms from the market. They resize the images BUT they are VERY AGGRESSIVE on the compression. it'll take 1mb pictures and make them 6kbs :(

OR

YOu can go here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=648396&highlight=MMS
    You might have to be rooted to install that though. Read around that thread and try to find out.

8. kaotix

kaotix Well-Known Member

The link to the MMS APK is here xda-developers - View Single Post - Modifying stock Mms.apk to change user-agent

I also modified the stock MMS apk myself to statically change the user-agent to the iPhone. But the one attached in that thread will do the job just fine.

I haven't used an N1 on tmo so I can't say what their restrictions are. Maybe call them and check with them direct.
    Also, from day 1 of having my device it has always showed 'Image too large, compressing...' or something to that effect when adding a large image to an MMS. I would presume this is the image being resized to fit an MMS.
    Regardless though, it's usually compressed by the network anyway.

9. SnotF

SnotF Well-Known Member

you could just email the vid... there's no size restriction there...

10. kaotix

kaotix Well-Known Member

@SnotF: usually a 10MB attachment limit or similar on e-mail attchments :p
    But then you couldn't send a 10MB+ video via MMS anyways.

11. CyberDroid

CyberDroid Well-Known Member

Yeah ... I too had problems sending mms pics with N1 on TMo ... kinda figured it was network/service related. Never had an issue on Verizon. But we shall soon see with the Incredible or N1 for Verizon.

12. SnotF

SnotF Well-Known Member

I was told by tmo that they have no size restrictions on email. That's why I was recommending that; anyone you're sending a video to is likely in a PC or smartphone anyways.... so no loss of video quality, no messing around finding an apparently that'll work or an apk. :p just a thought! I have a video camera for that stuff, its kind of a non issue here.