so ive had my droid for about 2 weeks now, and i need help with some issues

Last Updated:

1. atom631

atom631 Active Member This Topic's Starter

before i ask away, i just wanted to let everyone know ive tried using the search tool in this message board and i find that it just plain doesnt work. i tried to search for the term "mms" and it doesnt come up with a single thread containing mms in the entire board? really?

with that, ive had my droid now for a few weeks and i am completely addicted to it. however, there are a few issues that im having that are starting to bother me and i havent been able to find a good solution to the issues.

1.) MMS - i find the stock messaging to either not be working or completely lacking the ability to play MMS messages properly. i get sent the typical joke MMS daily from co-workers and they either dont play sound, or the video doesnt play or a combination of both. the videos or animated GIFs (whatever they are) will load and give me play controls, but the picture will never move from the first screen...and no audio at all. its kinda frustratiing to be showing off my droid and then get a MMS and it not work. doesnt make any sense to me. i just switched from a sprint - bb curve and i had to go to a stupid website to look at MMS messages...but at least they worked!

ive tried saveMMS and it doesnt do anything other than allowing me to save my MMS messages. I also know people will recommend handscent, and ive tried it and im honestly not down with the aim/iphone style. i also found that while it did play the MMS properly, it would be really small. id rather stick to the stock messaging service if there is a fix for this or a setting that im not seeing.

2.) contact issue - i added a contact on my droid to my corporate account which is synced. it does not show up at all in my contact list. however, if i search my contacts... it will find the person. i also went on computer and check my outlook and the contact now appears there, so the sync is working properly..but my droid doesnt see it. i checked display settings in the contacts and its set to show my corporate contacts and i checked sync settings in the main settings menu and that is set to sync properly (which obviously worked b/c it appeared in my outlook on my PC).

another issue is sometimes when i have to call up a contact for something through another application it will show the same contact like 3 or 4 times over. ive tried to change the display settings and either only show my corporate contacts or only show my gmail contacts...but it doesnt seem to fix the problem. i think its looking at my SD card contacts that were imported from my BB curve. it still doesnt make sense as to why its showing the same person so many times...

with these problems... i wanted to wipe my phone of all contacts. how do i remove them from my SD card? will un-syncing my corporate and gmail accounts remove the contacts from the phone as well? if not, how do i get it to not recognize any contacts at all so i can start fresh?

3.) camera/video recorder - the camera on the droid is very difficult to use in low light conditions. while the flash works good for pictures, i cannot see anything through the screen. so i cant even tell what im aiming at. i manage to do it, but you would think it would be able to adjust brightness on the screen to help.

also... when taking a video... i find that unless its absolute bright daylight, it doesnt work. i just tried to take a video of my daughter laughing in my den and i have 2 lights on, and my 52" LCD TV , and the screen on my droid is completely black as if there isnt a single light on in the room. the room is without a doubt, adequately lit. my curve or any of my other (much older) phones would've had no problem taking a video with the lighting the way it was. i also noticed that the view finder will dim or brighten on its own without the lighting changing in the room. sometimes if i just move the camera the right way, it will brighten up considerably where i can see, although still not bright enough to film..and certainly not equivalent to what the actual lighting is like in the room. this makes me believe that there is either a setting or the software for the video is just plain crap.....or could my camera be bad?

4.) keyboard lag i visit a lot of message boards and it seems that just after a few lines, the keyboard starts to lag big time. i dont normally write novel posts like this one, but it seems to happen after maybe 2-3 sentences that i will be typing and the screen is like 3-4 words behind me. it does pick up every input and will catch up and let me continue, but its really annoying. ive tried different browsers and that doesnt seem to be issue. any ideas?

anyway... i appreciate all help. i love my droid but these little issues are really putting a damper on my overall impression phone.

Advertisement
  2. bilbravo

bilbravo Well-Known Member

1) the answer is: handcent for messaging. i really like it and have no issues with MMS. perhaps there are others on the market, but i've never seen the issue you're talking about with the stock system either.

3) try FxCamera. I'm not sure it will fix all of your issues, but I like it for normal pictures plus it has some neat effects available for some interesting pictures.

3. mineolasmitty

mineolasmitty Active Member

I believe you have a problem with your phone. Especially with the camera. I just tried mine with only a small table lamp and the 46 inch TV and it came out pretty good. Not too shabby for low light level. Just take it in and demand a new one. You have 30 days to get it done.

4. atom631

im not sure if im happy or pissed that it might be a camera issue. i guess its not that big of a deal since all my contacts are synced and the market will remember all my d/l's.

also...forget the MMS question. im just going to use handcent. i still cant believe that the stock messaging app cant properly display animated/audible messages...but handcent seems to take care of that issue. i figured out how to change the display back to android instead of the iphone bubble setup that i dislike.

but i do have another question that i forgot to ask..... is there a way to display more than just a persons name in my contact list? i have 2 instances of people having the same exact name, but working for different companies. it would be nice to see the company name listed as well (like my curve did). in fact, from what i can tell, you cant even see the company name even if you select the image for the contact (where a little bar pops up with contact options). it seems you actually have to go into "edit contact" to see more information. that seems silly to me. am i missing something here?

5. atom631

here is a link to video i just took. i really think this is more of a software issue... i really think the droid camera/video software is crap.

in this video i start by pointing the camera at the light. it picks up the light ok and doesnt look too bad. then i pan down really quick away from the light and you can clearly see that it auto-dims the picture!!! WTF! right when i pan down, the image is still somewhat bright, obviously its not going to be as bright as when im pointing at the light source, but then it clearly dims the image to the point where it is not even viewable...but clearly it was able to do it before the auto-dim.

video-2010-04-04-02-02-35.flv video by atom631 - Photobucket

6. atom631

Bump.........

No one can answer some of my other questions at least?