• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help So long Epic 4g. too many problems

ruban

Lurker
Jun 7, 2010
well im sad to let it go but its been almost 30 days and im not going to be stuck with a defective phone for 2 years. so ill just post my problems to see if any of you have had the same issues. for the most part ive been reading about people with the same issues but some of you are weird in that you will compromise for this phone. soon as the honeymoon stage is over, you'll probably hate life.

so background with defective phones isnt new to me. i owned the Helio Ocean and was an early adopter.phone worked fine and had its little kinks. eventually it would freeze too much and updates that were promised were taking way too long. long story short, i got shafted with a 2 year contract on a crappy phone.

fast forward to this year. i was ready to buy an evo. it came out and i went to stores to test it out and see what it was about. i was in love. BUT then i heard about the galaxy s line via blogs and i was intrigued. i got my hands on a captivate and the screen blew me away. so at this point ive been waiting for 3 months for the epic to be released.

finally august 30 rolls around and i bolt from work to get my hands on this puppy. bring it home. let it charge waiting for the port of my number. then the addiction began. i could not put the phone down as i was customizing it and my cousin [fellow evo owner] was telling me what to download and what to set up. finally got a bunch of stuff and i was set.

day 2:
take it off of the charger at around 730am and head to work. by 2pm battery was completely drained and i barely got a chance to use it during my lunch. odd. there had to be an explanation. i get home and my cousin shows me that i have everything running full blast. wifi, gps, brightness, 4g, sync, background data etc. well no wonder my battery died.

day 3:
had everything set up properly and gave it a go. battery had significantly better life. lasted through the work day. got home by 6 and battery was at around 30%. it was used pretty lightly as i dont use my phone at work. maybe a coup[le texts here and there and browser during my 45 min break. it was an improvement but still wasnt very good.

this same day i was using it at night while plugged into the wall charger. the phone felt warm to the touch but ididnt think anything of it. eventually it got really hot, shut down on me and i got a weird message saying the battery was too hot to charge. wtf? how does that happen? so i swapped it out at the store i bought it at and came back to see if i just had a defective device.

day: 6ish
so after a couple of days of optimization i cant really get much better battery life out of the phone. i cant use it to play mp3 in the car cause i feel the battery will drain even faster. so at this point i just use my old iphone as my mp3 player. no problem.

get home, and im playing with it again. battery gets low, plug it in, continue to use it. again the battery gets warm so ijust put it down. at this point i was realizing 2 things. the battery didnt last very long and the chariging was excruciatingly slow. so i wanted to test this to see if it was just in my head.

let the phone charge fully over night. saturday morning rolls around i wake up to the battery full led lit. so now it was time to test it. i unplugged the device. i left the settings as i had them [optimized] and just went on the web for a while till i can see the battery status indicate significant drain. so it was about 15% drained after about 30 minutes of heavy use. so i decided to put it back on the charger to see how long it would take to charge it full. so i plugged it in, showered, breakfast, came back about and hour and half later and it was only about 90% to full. so it wasnt in my head. this thing charged slow. painfully slow.

i called samsung directly about the problem since sprint only lets you swap out your device once within the 30 days, otherwise it would be through insurance and it would be a refurbished phone. i dont think its fair to pay full price for a refurbished phone seeing as i only had the phone less than a months time.

so fast forward to today, the departure. after almost a month, im parting ways with my device. i just dont want to be stuck with a defective phone for 2 years. theres a few of you that would rather buy extra batteries and all this mumbo jumbo. but why? what is the point? i dont want to be charging my phone all day and be worried about my use cause it will drain. i dont want to carry around spare batteries. its a wireless phone! if i wanted to be plugged to the wall id get myself a landline. then the other side says 'well dont use it so much' or 'fix your settings so that it uses less data' well why? i want a smart phone. whats the point of a smart phone if you have to close everything and be careful of your use? wouldnt that make it a dumbphone? it just doesnt make sense.

of course i have to bring the iphone into question. the battery life is amazing. it takes maybe an hour 1/2 to charge to full. it lasts the whole day. unfortunately im stuck without a data plan seeing as ATT has ridiculous rates. i just hope sprint and samsung could fix the issue. but untill then im stuck with the iphone. :[

cliff notes:
waited forever for the epic
got epic
battery drained too fast
charging took too long
battery overheated
swapped for new epic
same problems persisted
called samsung, not aware of problem
sprint doesnt let me swap out anymore new ones.
returning phone tomorrow.
back to iphone 3g :[

well im sad to let it go but its been almost 30 days and im not going to be stuck with a defective phone for 2 years. so ill just post my problems to see if any of you have had the same issues. for the most part ive been reading about people with the same issues but some of you are weird in that you will compromise for this phone. soon as the honeymoon stage is over, you'll probably hate life.

so background with defective phones isnt new to me. i owned the Helio Ocean and was an early adopter.phone worked fine and had its little kinks. eventually it would freeze too much and updates that were promised were taking way too long. long story short, i got shafted with a 2 year contract on a crappy phone.

fast forward to this year. i was ready to buy an evo. it came out and i went to stores to test it out and see what it was about. i was in love. BUT then i heard about the galaxy s line via blogs and i was intrigued. i got my hands on a captivate and the screen blew me away. so at this point ive been waiting for 3 months for the epic to be released.

finally august 30 rolls around and i bolt from work to get my hands on this puppy. bring it home. let it charge waiting for the port of my number. then the addiction began. i could not put the phone down as i was customizing it and my cousin [fellow evo owner] was telling me what to download and what to set up. finally got a bunch of stuff and i was set.

day 2:
take it off of the charger at around 730am and head to work. by 2pm battery was completely drained and i barely got a chance to use it during my lunch. odd. there had to be an explanation. i get home and my cousin shows me that i have everything running full blast. wifi, gps, brightness, 4g, sync, background data etc. well no wonder my battery died.

day 3:
had everything set up properly and gave it a go. battery had significantly better life. lasted through the work day. got home by 6 and battery was at around 30%. it was used pretty lightly as i dont use my phone at work. maybe a coup[le texts here and there and browser during my 45 min break. it was an improvement but still wasnt very good.

this same day i was using it at night while plugged into the wall charger. the phone felt warm to the touch but ididnt think anything of it. eventually it got really hot, shut down on me and i got a weird message saying the battery was too hot to charge. wtf? how does that happen? so i swapped it out at the store i bought it at and came back to see if i just had a defective device.

day: 6ish
so after a couple of days of optimization i cant really get much better battery life out of the phone. i cant use it to play mp3 in the car cause i feel the battery will drain even faster. so at this point i just use my old iphone as my mp3 player. no problem.

get home, and im playing with it again. battery gets low, plug it in, continue to use it. again the battery gets warm so ijust put it down. at this point i was realizing 2 things. the battery didnt last very long and the chariging was excruciatingly slow. so i wanted to test this to see if it was just in my head.

let the phone charge fully over night. saturday morning rolls around i wake up to the battery full led lit. so now it was time to test it. i unplugged the device. i left the settings as i had them [optimized] and just went on the web for a while till i can see the battery status indicate significant drain. so it was about 15% drained after about 30 minutes of heavy use. so i decided to put it back on the charger to see how long it would take to charge it full. so i plugged it in, showered, breakfast, came back about and hour and half later and it was only about 90% to full. so it wasnt in my head. this thing charged slow. painfully slow.

i called samsung directly about the problem since sprint only lets you swap out your device once within the 30 days, otherwise it would be through insurance and it would be a refurbished phone. i dont think its fair to pay full price for a refurbished phone seeing as i only had the phone less than a months time.

so fast forward to today, the departure. after almost a month, im parting ways with my device. i just dont want to be stuck with a defective phone for 2 years. theres a few of you that would rather buy extra batteries and all this mumbo jumbo. but why? what is the point? i dont want to be charging my phone all day and be worried about my use cause it will drain. i dont want to carry around spare batteries. its a wireless phone! if i wanted to be plugged to the wall id get myself a landline. then the other side says 'well dont use it so much' or 'fix your settings so that it uses less data' well why? i want a smart phone. whats the point of a smart phone if you have to close everything and be careful of your use? wouldnt that make it a dumbphone? it just doesnt make sense.

of course i have to bring the iphone into question. the battery life is amazing. it takes maybe an hour 1/2 to charge to full. it lasts the whole day. unfortunately im stuck without a data plan seeing as ATT has ridiculous rates. i just hope sprint and samsung could fix the issue. but untill then im stuck with the iphone. :[

cliff notes:
waited forever for the epic
got epic
battery drained too fast
charging took too long
battery overheated
swapped for new epic
same problems persisted
called samsung, not aware of problem
sprint doesnt let me swap out anymore new ones.
returning phone tomorrow.
back to iphone 3g :[

That's unfortunate that you're returning it for battery issues. There is a wealth of information in these forums about how to improve battery life, and I can tell you if applied, you would've gotten satisfactory battery life from your Epic.

Upvote 0
Good point. Can't swap batteries on an iPhone. And when it comes time to replace the iPhone battery, you have to be ready to bend over. :eek:

see im not a huge iphone fan but the battery life is 'good' by my standards. blackberrys have 'great' on my scale. i didnt really want to settle for 'ok' battery life. i remember my blackberry pearl i had to charge every other day or so mostly cause i didnt like it being half dead. i guess carrying around extra batteries is a personal preference.

i tried everything. i reset my prl. airplane mode glitch. juice saver. task killers. screen brightness. no heptic feedback. no sync / background.

i COULD have swapped out for another sprint device but the only other phone is the evo. and from what i understand its not doing too great on battery life either. i dunno. we'll see what sprint has in store in the coming months and ill be back. this phone was just a speedbump.

love the wealth of info on this forum though. ill keep lurkin.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones