• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

So many versions, bought the wrong Nexus One.

Grundoko

Mar 21, 2011
Hey, I've been trying to get a Nexus One for a nice while (I wanted an Android Phone with a powerful processor and a rugged design, the Nexus One seemed the best route to go for the price). So I started lurking Ebay.

I knew that Bell (My carrier) used the frequencies 850 and 1900, so when I bought a quad-band phone that supported 850, 900, 1800, and 1900, I thought I'd be fine. But apparently not.

The phone I bought is for T-Mobile, but is unlocked (like all Nexus Ones), and operates on the same frequency, so why can't I use it on Bell?

I've read so many contradicting answers in so many places, Bell supposedly doesn't support GSM, but according to many websites, Bell started using GSM in September 2009, but their wikipedia page has absolutely no mention of the word GSM.

Then there's that Bell uses CDMA, or HSPA+, and so many other accronyms I can't keep track of.

Anyway, is there a way I can make this T-Mobile Nexus One work on Bell? If not, when I sell it and look for another one, what do I look for to make sure it will work on Bell Mobility?

You can use it on AT&T, but your data connection will be just Edge. I did it for several months when I bought a Nexus One while they were still only for T-Mobile. I later ported my number to AT&T got a new SIM and was all set.

Edge isn't bad, unless you're used to 3G. I was coming from a Palm Centro that only had Edge so I didn't really know what I was missing.

Just re-read your post. I don't happen to know anything about Bell. I translated Bell to AT&T in my head. Is there even a Non-GSM N1? Where are you located?

Upvote 0
@Mostly Harmless: Thanks, I was unaware that the version for AT&T was the same as the version for Bell. I thought there was a version from Bell/Telus/Rogers, one for AT&T, and another one for T-Mobile.

I've read that all Nexus One radios support all GSM frequencies, and are limited by the software. Is it possible to softmod the phone to work with the Bell frequencies if I root the phone, or install a custom firmware?

If not, I'll try selling it on Ebay, and see if I can find the AT&T version of the phone.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
@Mostly Harmless: Thanks, I was unaware that the version for AT&T was the same as the version for Bell. I thought there was a version from Bell/Telus/Rogers, one for AT&T, and another one for T-Mobile.

I've read that all Nexus One radios support all GSM frequencies, and are limited by the software. Is it possible to softmod the phone to work with the Bell frequencies if I root the phone, or install a custom firmware?

If not, I'll try selling it on Ebay, and see if I can find the AT&T version of the phone.

Thanks.

As far as I know there isn't any way to get one to work with the other, I think you will need an At&t version, if you don't mind me asking what did you pay for it?

Upvote 0
Just wanted to update and say I'm from Canada, and my carrier is Bell. I realized that since this is an American forum, people were probably thinking WTF is Bell?

It started to make sense. It's even more confusing because the monopoly telephone company in the US used to be Bell Telephone, which people just called "Ma Bell", which eventually turned into AT&T.

From a cellular history, there was AT&T Wireless, which turned into Cingular, which then turned back into AT&T Mobility.

Upvote 0
Really? I didn't know AT&T used to be Bell Telephone Company. Is it the same Bell Telephone Company which was started by Graham Bell? Actually, scratch that, I'll Google search it.

As for the topic on hand. I've done some more researching, and everything seems to point to the AT&T version of the phone working on Bell Mobility, but I'm trying to be very cautious after just buying the wrong phone. Has anyone actually gotten the The AT&T Nexus One to work on Bell?

Upvote 0
Really? I didn't know AT&T used to be Bell Telephone Company. Is it the same Bell Telephone Company which was started by Graham Bell? Actually, scratch that, I'll Google search it.

As for the topic on hand. I've done some more researching, and everything seems to point to the AT&T version of the phone working on Bell Mobility, but I'm trying to be very cautious after just buying the wrong phone. Has anyone actually gotten the The AT&T Nexus One to work on Bell?

I think it's probably a bit more complicated than that. But through mergers etc everything got consolidated. There were "Regional Bells", and honestly any Bell in Canada probably has some sort of origin that's linked. In the late 70's early 80's they broke up AT&T which eventually all got back together.

My 10 second research came up with this info about Bell and AT&T:

Origins| History| AT&T

Upvote 0

I thought our resident moderator Roze uses Bell up in Canada. She moved onto the Atrix but was running an N1.

Upvote 0
I thought our resident moderator Roze uses Bell up in Canada. She moved onto the Atrix but was running an N1.
I'm on Rogers :) But I'm using Bell Atrix, lol. Will answer Grundoko's question.

Hey, I've been trying to get a Nexus One for a nice while (I wanted an Android Phone with a powerful processor and a rugged design, the Nexus One seemed the best route to go for the price). So I started lurking Ebay.

I knew that Bell (My carrier) used the frequencies 850 and 1900, so when I bought a quad-band phone that supported 850, 900, 1800, and 1900, I thought I'd be fine. But apparently not.

The phone I bought is for T-Mobile, but is unlocked (like all Nexus Ones), and operates on the same frequency, so why can't I use it on Bell?
The Nexus One you got (dubbed TMo version) has quad GSM bands (850,900,1800,1900) BUT only Tri HSPA bands (900, 1700, 2100). GSM(edge)=2G and HSPA(UMTS)=3G. So as stated earlier, the phone you have will work on Edge (calls and limited data) but not on 3G. The phone is missing the 850 and 1900 MHz band that is needed to work with Bell/Telus/Rogers' 3G frequency. The Tmobile Nexus One will work on both Wind and Mobilicity's networks.

I've read so many contradicting answers in so many places, Bell supposedly doesn't support GSM, but according to many websites, Bell started using GSM in September 2009, but their wikipedia page has absolutely no mention of the word GSM.
I believe it has something to do with AT&T building the telephone infrastructures in Canada. Bell and Rogers were both affiliated with AT&T at one point or another.
This wiki talks about Bell and its association with AT&T.

The Bell System had two main companies in the telephone industry in Canada: Bell Canada as a regional operating company (affiliated with AT&T, with an ownership stake of approximately 39%

Anyway, is there a way I can make this T-Mobile Nexus One work on Bell? If not, when I sell it and look for another one, what do I look for to make sure it will work on Bell Mobility?
You can use it for calls and Edge (limited) data. If you want 3G data, you can not as it is missing that radio frequency. If you don't need 3G data, you are pretty fine using the Tmo N1 on Bell. Just change the API settings to Bell's. Tell me if you need the API and I'll ask a Bell member on here.

Upvote 0
Hey, I've been looking at all my available options for a while, and I've decided I'm going to sell the N1 on Ebay, and buy an HTC Desire Z (I decided not to go for the AT&T Nexus One after I saw some reviews, and found out about the multitouch issues). Thanks for the help you guys, I really appreciate it.

If anyone wants the Nexus, it's in mint condition, here's the listing. Google Nexus One T-Mobile Mint condition - eBay (item 270725487048 end time Mar-31-11 16:24:30 PDT)

Thanks again, especially to Roze who put it all into plain english for me :p

Upvote 0
Hey, I've been looking at all my available options for a while, and I've decided I'm going to sell the N1 on Ebay, and buy an HTC Desire Z (I decided not to go for the AT&T Nexus One after I saw some reviews, and found out about the multitouch issues). Thanks for the help you guys, I really appreciate it.

If anyone wants the Nexus, it's in mint condition, here's the listing.
Google Nexus One T-Mobile Mint condition - eBay (item 270725487048 end time Mar-31-11 16:24:30 PDT)

Thanks again, especially to Roze who put it all into plain english for me :p
If you're renewing your contract, BUY THE ATRIX!! It's $69 for a 3 yrs! :)

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones