So much data usage!Support

Last Updated:

1. bloodyfinger

bloodyfinger Member

Under my data usage it says that Android OS has used 400mb in two weeks?! WTF? What could be causing this? If my apps are updating automatically over the air, is it counted as data for the OS? That's the only thing I can think of.

2. ironass

ironass Well-Known Member

3G Watchdog from the Play Store should be able to offer you a more detailed breakdown of your data usage and what is using it.
  3. jaliy

jaliy Well-Known Member

It's YouTube
  4. tombo68

tombo68 New Member

hi everyone

great site so i am hoping someone can help, lately my s2 has been eating my data allowance like crazy.

i have sky sports as a freebie which allows me to watch the football without using any of my data allowance. last week i noticed my usage had gone from 8mb upto 320 mb after watching 1 game.

Orange have said the problem is not their end so looking into the phone it seems the android os is using it all. eventually i done a factory reset, blocked all background data usage and closed any running apps.

today on using the wifi it has swallowed 867kb (better than it was) but can anyone answer what is the android os and how can i stop it eating anymore data.

looking forward to your answers

5. ironass

Hardly! YouTube usage is shown separately as YouTube in Data usage and not part of Android OS which is what bloodyfinger is trying to determine!

6. AntimonyER

AntimonyER AF Addict VIP Member

Hey tombo, I have moved your thread into the Galaxy S2 Intl forum, as your question is device specific. Thanks for understanding. :)
    tombo68 likes this.
  7. ironass

See post #2, here.
  8. Atma

Atma Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forums Tombo. :ciao:

I merged your thread with one already on this subject.
  9. jaliy

jaliy Well-Known Member

nope, youtube data usage is shown as android os
    the actualy youtube app usage is not much

do a simple test before u say anything.
    look at ur android os usage now. then go watch a couple youtube videos. then look at ur os usage
  10. Shotgun84

Shotgun84 Well-Known Member

Android os went up a little after watching a a vid with the YouTube app but the YouTube app data went up a lot more so if that was the problem op would also have a high YouTube data stat.
  11. jaliy

jaliy Well-Known Member

r u using 4.0.4?
  12. Shotgun84

Yep. Different phones and different firmware should produce similar results anyway. The YouTube app will use a lot of data while playing videos so even though Android os will go up so will YouTube data so if YouTube isn't high on op's data usage list it isn't the problem.
  13. jaliy

jaliy Well-Known Member

slug will beg to differ on that comment
    i just watched a 1 min random video using the youtube app
    my android os data usage: 9.13mb, youtube app usage: 51.09kb
    now tell me if that's not youtube data usage showing on android os
  14. Shotgun84

Before 1 min 30 seconds video on YouTube app

After 1 min 30 seconds video on YouTube app

If you press quote on my post you'll see the time stamps the screenshots were taken.
    ironass likes this.
  15. jaliy

jaliy Well-Known Member

r u rooted?
    and screenshot ur firmware version too
  16. Shotgun84

Yes but that won't make a difference. Rooting won't change the amount of data an app uses.
  17. jaliy

jaliy Well-Known Member

rooting will change the way phone behaves
    u might not even use the same youtube app i'm using
    i think u should ask the OP if he's rooted or not. i'm not rooted
  18. Shotgun84

Did you use the YouTube app from the play store? Yes. Same app.
  19. jaliy

jaliy Well-Known Member

if u can't come up with a solution as to why android os is taking up data, then my theory of youtube data showing as os data still stand

youtube app has updated about 20 times
    r u using the same version as me?
  20. Shotgun84

Really? I was just trying not to send someone on a wild goose chase. I never one said you were wrong, I'm just stating the facts.
  21. jaliy

jaliy Well-Known Member

the fact is, that you have a rooted device. anyone who has a problem in this subforum, is by default assumed to be unrooted like me. so let's find out more about the op's phone then go further
  22. Shotgun84

Well not really. People can root but have a completely unroot related problem. Kind of like this one.
  23. Russell Ng

Russell Ng Well-Known Member

You all might be right....

If you are using 3G Watchdog, the way it describes the Android OS (service) usage is data use that it couldn't account for. What that means is if globally you have used 100MB of data, and lets say in actual fact, YouTube used 50MB. But somehow the 3G Watchdog couldn't put that amount of data down into YouTube or only could detect 10MB used by YouTube. Instead of reporting data usage of 40MB less, it will put that 40MB in the OS service usage. Anyway, overall is still what its suppose to be.

However, a note of caution, data calculation apps sometimes gives very different results from each other. Also, apps might calculate the usage slightly different. It does not matter that much except the total isn't toofar off from actual.
    Xyro and Shotgun84 like this.
  24. jaliy

jaliy Well-Known Member

Also i might add that I'm using the default data usage counter from ics
    I think that's what op is referring to
  25. togger161

togger161 Well-Known Member

(Slowly opens can of worms. . . . .)

Just looked at mine. I played a Youtube video today at work to show some colleagues the Nick Clegg I'm Sorry video. I used the official YouTube app. I'm on SGS2, T-Mobile Android 4.0.4, NOT rooted. I have just looked at my data usage for the month and Youtube shows a total of 510KB for the month so far (from 12th) There is NO WAY that a 2 minute 25sec video would be only 510KB, so I guess the data is being attributed to somewhere else.