So my wife's phone somehow used 720 MB of data in one day

Last Updated:

1. GripnRip

GripnRip Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

For about a week now my wife has been complaining that the battery life on her EVO has shot down from lasting all day to just a few hours. We logged into our sprint account online today as we received a phone call regarding our billing. While we had the account open we looked at the usage for both Phones. Our billing cycle started 6/22 and as of around noon today on her phone it showed over 720,000KB of data usage. My phone on the other hand used only 24,000KB with streaming video for around 2 hours. We have almost all the same apps installed on our phone. Mint, Weather Channel, Bar Scanner, and a few others. Is there any way to tell what the hell her phone was doing? She said she barely touched it at work yesterday and last night all she did was play crosswords on it.

Advertisement
  2. ScorpDX

ScorpDX Well-Known Member

Are you positive your looking at the right ones? 24,000kb (24mb) for 2 hours of video would be extremely low. 720,000kb (720mb) for 2 hours of video would be a lot closer.

3. mynamewastaken

mynamewastaken Well-Known Member

You can see the data usage of each app, although it's a little hidden:

Settings -> About phone -> Battery -> Battery use -> <app>

As long as the app is still running, of course.

4. curleyfrei

curleyfrei Active Member

Damn. I thought I was gonna see some kinda funny, "my wife's an idiot" story. :p

5. dr g

dr g Well-Known Member

Norril likes this.
  6. GripnRip

See that's what i thought too. I was streaming Youtube HQ for about 2 hours last night. However when the Sprint website seems to show data seperate under each phone number and under hers was where i saw 724,000 KB. I assumed it had to be wrong also. But if it's not that could explain why all of a sudden she's getting 6 hours battery life tops, without doing much at all on the phone.

7. tardmobile

tardmobile Well-Known Member

typing *#*#4636#*#* into the dialer will get you to where you can check which app has used exactly how much data from battery history and sort by data

edit: i'm too lazy to look around right now. what is "0" on that list?

8. cabbie

cabbie Well-Known Member

i went into the testing mode and checked network usage. What is "0" that I am seeing? The bar is all blue with a slide pink bar at the end of it

9. WordIsBorn

WordIsBorn Well-Known Member

Go to the settings - battery - usage. If you see android.process.acore on the list; select it. It will show you how much data that process has consumed since the last time it was plugged in, or turned off/on. If you are showing Data consumption under android.process.acore, you will need to remove your Facebook for HTC sense account in the sync menu, and re-add. There is some bug with the calendar that is causing it to constantly sync to facebook for HTC sense, and consuming hugh amount of data.

10. mviars

mviars Member

Word up!!!! The Facebook issue is what was killing my battery. Deleted the account and then re-added as said above and all went back to normal. I still use friend stream for a quick look at whats happing on facebook but I did uncheck the update contacts as I just dont think it is all that important for as much data as it probably uses to update it and im sure the more contact/friends you have the more it has to update.

11. andrew12090

andrew12090 Member

I had this happen last week, I went and turned off updating for facebook so it only accesses the network when I open the app. My phone went through 1.5 gigs of data in 3 days before I figured out what it was

12. Fonseca

Fonseca Well-Known Member

Just be glad you don't have AT&T while you figure this out. :)

13. GripnRip

So we've done a lot in the last day or so to try to fix her battery life issue wondering if it was related to this. We deleted her facebook account and readded it. When checking data usage on *#*#4636#*#* it seemed to say that the thing that had used the most data was the internet. We've reformatted her memory card twice, but did it in the phone as we don't have an adapter to fit it in a full size SD card. and we unmounted and removed the card. When the card wasn't in the phone we seemed to see battery life improve a lot. As soon as we put it back in even after doing all the other steps it seemed to get bad again. Does the SD reformat issue have to be done outside of the phone to get it to work properly? should we try doing a factory restore? Still don't know what used up all the data, but judging by what y'all are saying it probably was facebook.

14. Rigmaster

Rigmaster Well-Known Member

Wow. Makes me glad I actually don't use Facebook or any other continuously running social network. Don't feel any less connected to things that don't matter because if they do, people can still text, call, or email me and I can get it without it being a push of everything to me.

15. J03

J03 Well-Known Member

Anyone?

16. GripnRip

I haven't figured that out either. Everytime i click on it to try to look at the usage it crashed so not sure what that means. a

Also I'm seeing two others that i don't recognize "1013" and "UID 10006." Anyone know these?