So on the Epic launch day, I chose the Evo...

Last Updated:

1. aaz110

aaz110 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

My iPhone 3G contract ran out a few days ago and I had been waiting for the Epic to come out so I could see it before deciding between it or the Evo. I had a chance to play with the Epic a little bit last night at Sam's club and it was really nice. I couldn't remember what the Evo looked like exactly either, as the last time I saw a working model (and not a store dummy) was back in the week it launched when I was visiting my girlfriend's parents in a town that actually has a Sprint store (mine does not)...however, in the back of my mind, I kept gravitating towards the Evo. This morning, I called a few places to see if they had any Epics available for people who didn't pre-order...both Radioshacks, Sam's Club, and a cell phone kiosk at our mall had them (both Wal-Marts and our Best Buy don't carry Sprint). So, I had my choice of Epics readily available to me...but I still was thinking about the Evo...so I called back one of the Radioshacks and asked them how long it would take if I wanted an Evo instead...they said Thursday (which I thought was great)...and then a few hours later they called back to say that they had rush ordered it for me to get it in with today's shipment...and so about half an hour ago I came home with my new Evo 4G...perfect timing too, as I'm going away this weekend and will be in a 4G area the whole time (no 4G in my town yet either).

As for the phone itself, I don't see any of the major QC issues yet. Power button feels good, didn't notice any light leakage yet (but I do have it plugged in right now...I'll have to check it again later), no dead pixels or anything on the screen....however, it is having trouble connecting to wi-fi. When I first turned it on, it connected to wi-fi right away and I was able to sync my contacts from my google account. However, now I can't get it to connect again...it just hangs on the looking for an IP address stage...and since I am porting my number, I don't have any kind of connection at all right now, so I can't really do anything on my phone that requires the internet. Is there a setting that I accidentally switched that's keeping it from connecting properly? In the exact same spot in my house, I can connect with full signal on both my computer and my old iPhone 3g (and just a little while ago, I connected with full signal with my Evo as well). Thank you for any responses. Sorry for the long, useless story at the beginning...I was just a bit excited as I've been itching to get this phone for a very long time.

Edit: Sorry Mods...I didn't realize I had put this in the review section. Feel free to move as you feel appropriate.

Advertisement
  2. BenChase7

BenChase7 VIP Member VIP Member

humm... try a reboot (off/on)?

3. aaz110

I was going to try that in a little bit. Right now I'm trying to calibrate the battery as was suggested in a few posts on here and XDA as well...so I can't turn off the phone for a little while longer yet. Also, how do I manually set the IP address on the phone...I was reading somewhere online that some Evos with 2.2 have trouble with DHCP....so I wonder if I set a static IP address, if that would take care of the problem.

4. BenChase7

Good call on the battery... I do/did the same. sorry, cant help ya with the IP address. But I do bounce back and fourth from WiFi (multiple routers) to 3G and never have had a problem. So, I would imagine when your phone finishes charging a reboot may do the trick.

5. aaz110

Thanks...it's good to know that this battery calibration will actually do something then. I'm hoping it won't be an issue once I reboot. Did you mean you bounce of multiple routers in different locations (and different SSIDs), or multiple routers in your own house? I wonder if that was my issue. I have two routers set up in my apartment...my main router and then another that acts as a repeater when I walk into a different area of my apartment that has a lower signal (it's definitely overkill, because I have a fairly small apartment...but I upgraded my old router and then figured that since I had both I might as well use them both). Maybe the Evo had trouble automatically switching from one router to the other? The problem is that I can't remember where I was when I tried the wi-fi out...I'm pretty sure the Evo is already taking a toll on my brain as I've just been sitting here, dumbfounded and in awe for the last hour.

Edit: So, I figured out how to manually set IP (just press the menu button while under Wireless Settings and then go to Advanced Settings)...I manually put in my IP address, and now it works again....Weird. I'll try putting it back on auto once it reboots, because that's not going to work for me when connecting to hotspots while not at home.

6. BenChase7

I only have one router In my house... I ment I bounce around on routers at different locations with no problems... work, home, local bar and friends.
    Multiple routers in a small location my be the problem... good luck!

Enjoy your EVO (and lower price bill w/ Sprint) ...its a sweet phone.