So "one click lag fix" screwed meSupport

Last Updated:

1. ZDroid1

ZDroid1 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I tried to undo all the changes this app does to my phone, and it all worked until I tried to unroot. It says that unrooting was successful and to reboot/reinstall update.zip, but when I do that I get a message saying assert failed, status 7, installation aborted, and I'm still rooted. I don't know if there's something wrong with the update.zip file.

I did some googling and it seems the only solution is to use some "odin" app, which would wipe out my phone, which I really don't want to do.

Any ideas?

Advertisement
  2. braj

braj Well-Known Member

I'm in the same boat, I can't unroot either. Damn foolishness really, what was I thinking?

3. ZDroid1

After an agonizing search, I discovered that this is a known issue on the Captivate and will be fixed in the next version.

I might wait til then or try to unroot manually.

4. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

Unfortunately all the "rooting" and "lag fix" advice comes without proper warnings about the risks and potential consequences. These aren't perfect fixes, but imperfect hacks that have been known to cause serious problems for many people. Of course, the fans fail to mention as much and will tell everyone and their grandma to root and run a lag fix "just because", as if everyone is doing it.

I'm sorry you've become one of the unlucky ones. Hopefully you can add your voice and bring some sanity and moderation to the threads here with some first-hand experience and warning.

5. ZDroid1

I'm getting FC on freaking text messages now. This was a BAD idea. I was so enthusiastic about it too, because of the speed gain.

6. maerlim

maerlim Well-Known Member

I don't really understand. If you were enthusiastic about the speed gain from the lag fix, why did you try to undo it and undo root? Also, undoing root is as simple as deleting the superuser.apk and su commands. This shouldn't affect your boot-up.

On a related note, there are apps in the market to backup your contacts, your SMS messages, and sync your apps for easy re-install. I'm able to flash the stock captivate image and get back to a working, customized device in approximately 30 minutes.

Edit: Oh, I see, there are some update.zip's floating around that are poorly written. Gotcha. That's why I just do it manually. :)

7. DT

DT Well-Known Member

Grab the Odin-one-click package, reset to a fresh OEM ROM, start from there (if you've got a backup, then you're all set).

I wouldn't move forward with a semi-crapped-out OS!

8. pricej636

pricej636 Member

This is why people will tell you to READ and STUDY and LEARN before you just go flashing stuff. Learn about what you are doing before you do it. Doing anything blindly is asking for trouble. There are plenty of warnings on the root pages saying that bad things CAN happen. Weigh the risks to the benefits and decide what you are willing to do.

For that matter, you can run into problems flashing a stock ROM or a factory upgrade. I for one don't have a single issue on my rooted, lag fixed, uncrippled captivate other than things that are already documented issues with the phone.

9. ZDroid1

I'm not blaming anyone or claiming to be a victim. It was my choice to do it and I was just talking about my results.

I chose to stop the experiment and undo the changes. So far, it seems I have succeeded:
    http://androidforums.com/samsung-captivate/170237-heres-how-you-unroot-your-captivate.html

Fingers crossed.

It was my fault because having a functioning phone at all times is extremely important to me. I shouldn't have, and will not take any more risks. I will stick to enjoying this tech toy only as intended by the manufacturer.

10. getDange

getDange Well-Known Member

^^^ that is quite rational. Do not mess with it unless you absolutely can't contain the urge and are willing to take risks that are high even if you are an advance user.
    I have not made any changes to mine, and I still enjoy the phone even though the gps and lag issues are making the experience worse.

11. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

Sort of akin to someone upping the compression and removing some of the safety equipment in the single vehicle they own which they depend on to get to work daily.

12. mttfrog13

mttfrog13 Well-Known Member

screwed me over too so i had to do the complete rom recovery from odin. Its not worth rooting ur phone just to void ur warranty trying to fix an issue that shouldn't of been there in the first place.

13. ChaoticKinesis

ChaoticKinesis Well-Known Member

There really is no reason to unroot unless for the sake of a warranty claim/exchange. It's not as if a rooted phone functions worse in any respect than an unrooted one. If it's for warranty, losing data becomes a moot point so just flash back with Odin.

14. ZDroid1

When you have super user permissions, a malicious app can access more and so more damage.

15. ADPowah

ADPowah Member

This title seems a little attention-grabbery considering what happened and that you rooted your phone without using Odin. It seems like a better title would have been "I (temporarily) screwed myself trying to implement the one click lag fix".