So should I....or wait?General

Last Updated:

1. davros

davros Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I remembered today that my dad has an eris... Still on 1.5 ..should I trade him my leak updated eris so I can root it, or continue to wait for the leak to be rooted?

Thoughts? Opinions?

I can wait ......if need be.

Advertisement
  2. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

Ask him what he wants to do. If he thinks he needs 2.1 now then just upgrade his, if not then i'm sure he won't mind waiting for the ota update. Let him play with yours and see if he really likes it. Let him know the bugs you've encountered and see if he thinks its worth it.

3. davros

He doesn't care either way lol he actually hates his eris.. To complicated for a guy in his 60's.... As he put it lol. Tho he did like google nav. And the quickness

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

4. LiverpoolsNo9

LiverpoolsNo9 Well-Known Member

So the bottom line here is, you want his eris so you can root.

If he doesnt care either way, I say go for it.

5. davros

Gonna see what he says. I forgot to ask him today. He was busy playing horseshoes.

6. T2noob

T2noob Well-Known Member

Yea I would say go for it. He sounds like my dad....he says its to much technology for him lol and he stuck with his old cell phone that he's had since like 2001....lol

7. Rubik76

Rubik76 Well-Known Member

And what's important to you, exactly?

8. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

Best question.

9. alprazolam

alprazolam Well-Known Member

Have you checked out the Root sub-forum to look at various ROMs and things that they are able to do? You may not see anything that really blows your mind and may just wait for 2.1 rooted phones. I haven't looked in there in a long time.

10. davros

rooting and the ability to change things i don't like and take away things i won't ever use and add things i will love and use all the time.

ya i have been lurking around in the rooting section...... the vanilla dialer is way better than the stock htc one.... playing with our droid that has this said dialer makes me hate the htc dialer......theres a few roms that i like, and i'm sure more will come. ... like i said i can wait for the root of 2.1 to be found, i just remembered there was a way for me to get rooted now, with trading my phone out with my dads, but theres also the question of if he's dropped it etc. i know i have never dropped my phone and have been extra careful in taking care of it. for the reason of we didn't get insurance on my phone, only on the wifes droid, she is notorious for dropping and destroying phones.

I enjoy my phone to the fullest. I just want to get more and be able to do more with it. :rolleyes:

i wonder if the 2.1 rooting will be any different or better than the 1.5 root there is available now. . . . . .

11. Frisco

If rooting is the most important thing to you, maybe expressing that to the other person who's phone you want to trade would be the best thing to do. Perhaps you'll be sure to go over the version you're giving to him for a while so that he can see the differences and get the most out of the phone.

12. davros

oh i had planed to. my dad randomly shows up at my house with his eris in hand saying "wtf" lol he told me the other day at lunch with me and his granddaughter that..... i should have stuck with my Motorola flip phone and gotten an itouch... but for some reason he is also buying an ipad... hes very set in his ways, lol he liked my 2.1 eris that day.

i think what you are saying... i might be wrong.... is for me to root his phone so he can enjoy the possibilities of the rooted phone? ok that being said. he wouldn't know or care that his phone could now change roms, wirelessly tether, etc etc. it's funny actually as i think about my dad and his eris he will randomly start to yell at it. i told him the touch seen is like a fine woman, touch it gently and softly and she will respond. lol ya well he still hits at it with his big old man figures opening random apps and calling random people. its classic to watch. i asked him the other day if he wanted 2.1 .. or rather a newer better os on his phone, as fast as i said that his phone slid across the table at me. i love my dad but lol he said he hated windows cuz he couldn't get it to work... so he has macs. same sh*t different color, lol

:rolleyes:

13. Frisco

No, I was just saying that the phone you provide to him could be gone over by the two of you together just to familiarize him with it.

I wouldn't give a rooted device to anybody, let alone to somebody with queries to you about the 1.5's operation. ;)

14. davros

Lol ya that's also what I figured