• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

So sick of this phone.

zealofsoul

Jul 6, 2010
I've had Eris since last Christmas, so I say it's been almost 9 months or so.

The biggest complain I have with this phone is how ridiculously slow the phone is.

I was getting really tired of all the lags that the phone had.

The major lags that made me very impatient were:

1. Phone dial lag
2. GPS lag (I had to wait 25 seconds for options to pop out after pressing "menu" button while the GPS was on.)
3. Whenever phone call comes in, it shows the digits first, and 7 seconds later, the names appeared.

None of these problems were solved even after getting the phone replaced twice.

I called the Verizon to see if I could get a replacement with another phone, however even after 5 attempts with various of speech techniques (even I've gotten upto a point where the rep offered me to switch to another phone) the answer was "No, you are stuck with that phone regardless whether you like it or not."

Eventually the universal rooting method came along and I've rooted my phone.

First, it was PlainJaneV2, overclocked with SetCPU. It might have made the speed process faster, however I never noticed any significant difference.

Second, I've tried Cyanogentazz's rom. Froyo was nice, however I found out Asian characters such as Korean, Japanese, and Chinese were not supported somehow.

Third, I flashed back to PlainJaneV2, however I'm experiencing extremely low battery life plus incredibly slow performance, and also unable to make phone calls.

I'm almost about to lose hope for this phone. I'm going to try KaosFroyo for the last time, and if the same problem persists, then I'm just gonna call Verizon, threaten them to switch the phone or lose the service.

If anyone can share a bit of information how to make my Eris smooth, please, please share what you have.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
edit on Aug 17

So, after looking through the suggestions made on this topic, I've installed KaosFroyo v29 (latest build, I think) and I could not be happier. The phone runs fast, I've noticed much and much less lag on the phone.

I also applied suggested settings Lagos posted below here, and my Eris finally works the way it should be. The battery lasts very long (so far I've used it heavily, meaning listening to music, talking on the phone, texting, using emails and etc). Its been 15 hours since unplugged and I still have 30% of battery remaining. This is such a great achievement compared to my stock firmware that I was so struggling with.

Homerun Battle 3D surprisingly runs faster than ever, Froyo Stock music player beats the hell out of MixZing, everything is super nice.

I will be trying xtr Rom if my KaosFroyo feels slow (which I don't know when it would be) but if xtr is even better than KaosFroyo, I wouldn't even know what to expect to get out of this little machine.

I'll just toss a few things out there that you might have already heard or have had suggested to you:

1. http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/80233-factory-data-reset-option.html (seems to have helped lots of folks; but I'm sure VZW had you do this, probably multiple times).

2. Lots of folks that had dialer lag found that it was because their call history was very large. Don't remember that exact sequence for clearing it (I'm using my Droid X at the moment), but that might help (plus, I've heard there are auto history clear apps). A forum search re. this should yield some good details for you.

3. You didn't specify what apps you are using / have installed. Since your app list and usage would probably remain the same between different OS versions and ROMs, perhaps you've got a rogue app that is killing your phone. You could try to remove them one by one and see which might be the culprit or you could use a tool such as System Panel or some other appropriate tool to zero-in on which app is your CPU hog. If you've a got such a rogue (or resource-hogging) app, that would explain why your problems persist across ROMs.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Install Kaos froyo and try this... After applying these tweaks, my eris has been extremely fast.

1. Ditch Adw and install Launcher Pro. 90% of the slowness comes from Adw!
2. Go to settings/display/animation and turn off all animations. They might look neat, but youll be surprised at how fast the phone is without them.
3. Under LauncherPro preferences, go to Advanced Settings and change the opening speed to 10 for both options.
4. Install setcpu and set it for 245,710 for normal use, and 245,480 for when the screen is off. Kaos rom is already overclocked to 710 so this is just for extra battery life.
5. reboot the phone after applying the tweaks and enjoy a very fast eris.

Seriously, after doing this my phone flies like it has never done before on any 2.1 based rom. Changing between apps is instant and everything is extremely responsive. I love this rom!

Upvote 0
Install Kaos froyo and try this... After applying these tweaks, my eris has been extremely fast.

1. Ditch Adw and install Launcher Pro. 90% of the slowness comes from Adw!
2. Go to settings/display/animation and turn off all animations. They might look neat, but youll be surprised at how fast the phone is without them.
3. Under LauncherPro preferences, go to Advanced Settings and change the opening speed to 10 for both options.
4. Install setcpu and set it for 245,710 for normal use, and 245,480 for when the screen is off. Kaos rom is already overclocked to 710 so this is just for extra battery life.
5. reboot the phone after applying the tweaks and enjoy a very fast eris.

Seriously, after doing this my phone flies like it has never done before on any 2.1 based rom. Changing between apps is instant and everything is extremely responsive. I love this rom!

Thank you all who replied to this thread!

after giving a KaosFroyo rom a try for about an hour, so far it looks great. I gotta try making phone calls and see how fast it has become.

Also I love how Asian texts are still intact on KaosFroyo rom. I have lots of songs in Asian texts and this greatly helped my decision to stick to KaosFroyo.

Thanks for all your suggestions. Looks like my Eris has more time to live on for after all =]

Upvote 0
If for some reason KaosFroyo does not do it for you I recommend, and many will back me on this, xtrROM 3.03 or 3.1 WHEN it comes out of beta. Flash to xtr, flash JIT off (when on it can make things unstable), Flash apps2d off or on if you prefer, flash in socialsync if you use facebook to link into contacts, flash in stock apps. Thats what I am running and OMG its fast. I was ready to just go fork out a few hundred for the moto (back in april) but then root came along for leakv3, and I found the light that is xtr.

While I still want a new phone with killer specs and high res video etc, I can now wait till xmas. My contract with vzw was up in August 09 so I can move to what ever when ever but for now I will keep this lil phone. I have many toys so im hard to shop for at xmas, a new phone will make a great gift from the family.

Upvote 0
KaosFroyo is up to v28 or 29 now...been getting alot of updates. If you want stability and decent battery life, my vote is for xtrROM. I've gone as much as a day and a half on xtrROM 3.x without having to charge and from what I've seen so far it looks like I'll do as well on the beta of xtrROM 4.x.

Kaosfroyo is very stable. I use it as everyday rom. The camera works on froyo builds now too.

Upvote 0
Lagos, I've gotta hand it to ya for posting those steps that drastically increased the speed of my Eris on Froyo. I am on nonsensikal and have also tried Kaos....my phone did OK for a couple of days, then it nearly came crawling to a halt. Changing to Launcher Pro and setting that advanced tweak put my phone back where it should be. I'm glad because I like the new offerings on Froyo.

Upvote 0
My wife is rooted and on Kaosfroyo, she absolutely HATED her phone... now she enjoys it after tweaking it out a little with kaos. I'm using CelebFroyo, and couldn't be happier. I've been trying kaos, and tazz (latest versions) and haven't really stuck with one just yet, but either of those three work GREAT tweaked as follows:

-Disable animations/transitions in spare parts
-Speed up menu in ADW (i like it better than LauncherPro)
--Screen Preference>Desktop SCroll Speed @ 300ish
>Desktop overshoot @ 20-30ish
--Drawer Settings > disable animated drawer
-now chagne the CyanogenMOD settings > Performance Settings, enable jit, enable compcache, disable Surface Dithering and change your VM heapsize 24

I dont install SetCPU and I get a full days of battery with moderate use.

also install (if you dont have it) Toggle 2G.
Set it to Auto Manager 2G/3G, change your 2G delay to 2-5mins (your choice) and it will turn off 3G data and slow it down to 2G saving you some juice.

you should be able to hit about 400+ points in quadrant and 4.00+ MFLOPS in linpack

I hated my Eris stock... sadly.

Upvote 0
2g toggle turns off the higher speed data when your phone screen is off.

Technically you decide the answer to that based on how you set our up. I have mine enable once not sleeping, but you can set it keep it off when you wake up your phone.then you have to manually turn 3g back on. 2g allows data but much slower than 3g.which means less battery strain.

I believe this is what juice defender also does.

Upvote 0
i am also sick of this phone. I love the phone don't get me wrong. BUT MAKING a dam call takes a couple of seconds.

First of all a cellphone is a PHONE first. HTC or whoever should of focused on the development making a call faster.

the dialer is pissing me off.

I WANT THE NEW IPHONE FOR VERIZON

Upvote 0
bump!
posted an additional comment on my original post up there, check it out.

Glad to see you made the jump to Froyo. If you're running kaosfroyo, I would recommend installing autokiller. It makes everything smoother, especially if you're using launcherpro. I set it to optimum, and my eris runs smooth, even when I'm bouncing between apps.

As always..... YMMV.

Upvote 0
i am also sick of this phone. I love the phone don't get me wrong. BUT MAKING a dam call takes a couple of seconds.

First of all a cellphone is a PHONE first. HTC or whoever should of focused on the development making a call faster.

the dialer is pissing me off.

I WANT THE NEW IPHONE FOR VERIZON

Root your phone and your problems will be fixed.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones