So that Incredible upgraders don't get a big head.General

Last Updated:

1. alprazolam

alprazolam Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

"Really now? KIRFing a phone and a UI is one thing, but claiming to have a 26-core CPU (!) capable of 8-gigaflop (!) floating point operation -- or the "equivalent of four iPads combined," apparently -- is one helluva stretch for a smartphone. This is apparently how awesome the QderoPateo Ouidoo will be."

QderoPateo Ouidoo to pack 26-core chip, looks like Palm Pre and Windows Phone 7 love child -- Engadget

And so if you wait till the end of the year, even if your upgrade lacks 26 cores, what's in between? Will you Incredible owners be whining about what a POS your "slow" phone is? ;)

Advertisement
  2. Boulder257

Boulder257 Well-Known Member

Isn't this the way of technology though? This is why I get frustrated when people complain or expect something for free. That's the way it is...we create it by clammoring for the "next big thing" then getting dissapointed when it isn't what we built our unrealistic expectations up to.

Honestly, it's just a phone and more so, it's really just a toy.

3. andrewzpsu

andrewzpsu Well-Known Member

Where can I get that augmented reality software... or even something like it. It looks so damn cool.

4. grvthang

grvthang Well-Known Member

...and I'll guarantee that it will have issues functioning as a CELL PHONE, just as all other smart phones do. We allow all the companies to get away with it. As long as they keep distracting us with new bells and whistles ("live wallpapers! wow!!"), and we keep buying 'em, they won't address making sure that the devices function as reliable, user-friendly cell phones first.

5. alprazolam

Yeah...I could probably do without the smartphone features and it is fun to play with. It does help me in my day-to-day life though. I think you are right on with expectations. In technology terms, the next big thing is only a few months away...if that.

I'm doing a wiki to see what that is all about. I've never heard of it till this article.

I think that you can pretty much sum up a smartphone to be the jack of all trades and the master of none.

6. smacky

smacky Banned

You know the Incredible doesn't ship with a microSD card?

7. alprazolam

Okay...looks like Wikitude is an app for Android that uses Augmented Reality. I couldn't wrap my head around what this was until I realized that a head up display or the computer generated lines on a football field are examples of AR. Interesting stuff.

8. alprazolam

9. smacky

smacky Banned

10. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

Actually it kinda does. What i mean by that is when i placed my preorder on saturday it stated its a limited time offer that it will include a 2gb sd memory card. So some of us will be getting them with a 2gb memory stick, and some of us won't be. Those who preordered before the offer was put up won't get them, but those of us who preordered with it being on our invoice will get them. It really doesn't matter to me, i bought a 16gb class 6 card for my eris before i returned it and will use it in the incredible. I also have an extra 4gb card laying around that i had in my old phone that i never got around to using, so now i'll have 2 extras. I'll just keep them as backups as more and more devices move to microsd.

11. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

Not a big deal imo, most people have one laying around anyhow and those that don't they are so cheap that grabbing one won't be much of a hassle.

12. aleis

aleis Well-Known Member

too late!
    my head is already HUGE!
    INCREDIBLE!!!! :D

13. alprazolam

I would be on the phone with Verizon pitching a bitch fit because this is something that they, clearly, tacked on to the phone after backlash from reviewers. It's not fair to shortchange those who ordered early.

14. lgldrgdlr

lgldrgdlr Well-Known Member

Also, search the market for Reality browser or layar. . . it's the same thing. It's pretty fricken cool.

15. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

Well thats your call, personally i wouldn't care wether it came with one or not, but thats me. Its not something that takes away from the phone, i certainly wouldn't go cancelling a preorder over it. And right now i'm sure their site is being bombarded with preorders from those who were waiting for the nexus one and just got the news this morning its not coming.

16. thenestor

thenestor Well-Known Member

Another tasty tidbit regarding the Incredible vs. the Eris: You can't switch to the vanilla Android "Home" instead of Sense UI:

Can you turn off the Sense UI on the Droid Incredible? Mmmmmm ... Not just yet | Android Central

17. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

Not a big deal i like the senseui, in fact when i rooted my eris i chose a rom with senseui in tact because i didn't like the idea of being without it ;)

18. Evestor

Evestor New Member

Thanks for the info. That is one ugly phone in my opinion. Ugh.

19. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

Really? Its not any bigger than the droid and is more rounded and reminds me more of the eris without the physical buttons on the front. I like the looks of it. Oh well.

20. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

On a side note it seems rooting the incredible might be nearing completion. Theres a thread stickied in the incredible forum stating its almost ready. Theres just a couple small hurdles to bypass but they are working on it. I'm assuming once they are shipped to the rest of the developers who are waiting for their units the game will be over. I'm almost expecting root access on day 1, and certainly within the first week of its official release.

21. alprazolam

We sort of got sidetracked...as a discussion forum always will. Were you talking about the original phone that I posted or the Incredible?

22. smacky

smacky Banned

23. Boulder257

Boulder257 Well-Known Member

24. smacky

smacky Banned

Yeah, it's on Google's website. It's final. No N1 for VZW.

Vodafone does get it, however.

25. Dorito

Dorito Banned

YAWN....this company is all talk and no show. This is the exact same situation when 3D video cards were becoming popular and a small company called BitBoys layed down all kinds of outragous claims yet they never were able to produce a prototype.

*YAWN*