so the US got sprint for the hero. What are the chances of rogers getting the hero?

Last Updated:

1. clandest

clandest Active Member This Topic's Starter

So, I do not want to switch to sprint. I am happy with ATT. And from what i've read the sprint hero will not be compatible with att unlocked, but if there was a rogers hero att and rogers is compatible for 3g.

So what is the likelyhood rogers will get the hero?

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. quantumrand

quantumrand Well-Known Member

Well, Sprint's Hero is not a GSM phone, so the exact model definitely wont be hitting Roger's. There is, however, an 850/1900 HSDPA GSM model alluded to by the FCC, so there definitely is a model available that would be compatible with Roger's wireless.

There's just one problem though. Roger's already has the HTC Magic, which is pretty much a direct competitor to the Hero, so I could see HTC being reluctant to release a phone that could hurt the sales of another one of their phones.

In short, I seriously doubt it, as unfortunate as it is...AT&T blows.

3. clandest

I was thinking, is the magic that much diff than the hero? I saw youtube vids that you can rom the magic so that it has the hero OS. So I was wondering if I should just get that, or switch to sprint once my contract is up.. I want an android phone badly. I am tired of this iphone BS.

4. BandedHawk

BandedHawk Member

The Magic and the Dream - both released in June on Rogers are a bit underpowered compared to the Hero - think of it as first generation versus second generation. However, given that it is Rogers, they probably won't release the Hero until sometime next year if they do get it. :) Always so far behind with technology ...

5. clandest

the Magic and Hero have the same Hardware besides battery and 3.5 headphone jack.

6. BandedHawk

BandedHawk Member

Oops. Yeah. My bad - I keep thinking the specs for the Dream are the specs for the Magic. The camera's also a little lower resolution - although 3.2 Mp is still a fair resolution.

HTC has said the sense UI will be made available for the Magic as an update.

7. clandest

yea i just remembered that also but forgot to edit.

So yea if I was to get a magic and use the hero OS. I pretty much have a hero correct?

8. BandedHawk

BandedHawk Member

I think so. However, I think there are still a few little glitches so far with the cooked ROMs for the Magic/Sapphire - which people have been playing with at xda-developers. I have a sneaking suspicion that there are some small differences between the two bits of hardware. You'd need to check with the guys there in the Sapphire sub-forum to work out what is the current state of play.

9. SamIam

SamIam Active Member

Yeah, I know...that's what I want to know. The Magic is only $99 compared to $179 for the Hero. The camera resolution won't mean much if it's also the same lens on both phones. Buuut...Sprint's new $70 plan is very tempting.