So what can now be used for Video calling?

Last Updated:

1. charlottenian

charlottenian Active Member This Topic's Starter

I am looking for what can be done for video calling from my Evo to my home desktop as I travel a lot and when Fring was working with skype it allowed me to see my son and him to see me. Any suggestions as Fring video calls with MSN and Yahoo messenger don't seem to work

Advertisement
  2. Rob_A

Rob_A Well-Known Member

nothing yet as far as I know. I used to use Fring to PC and I'm constantly on the lookout for an app to do phone to PC chat.

Skype needs to decide what they want to do, another 3rd party needs to step up or Google needs to come up with something.

3. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns! VIP Member

Skype is on the way. They currently are stuck in an exclusivity agreement with Verizon. Some time this year is what I heard. They plan to offer it to all Android phones eventually. I have no clue the exact date when the exclusivity contract ends.

Fring is pretty good. I successfully video chatted with my wife's iPhone 3G. I don't get to see her on my screen cause she doens't have the front camera, but she can see me. The smoothness was decent.

Qik is the video chat app that comes with the Evo. They are currently being swamped with all the Evo users trying to video chat, and as a result, their servers are way overloaded. Once they get their infrastructure upgraded, they'd be worth trying. Qik allows you to stream video real time to their web site, so ppl all over can go there and watch. They currently don't support android-to-iphone video chat.

4. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

Kindly explain that exclusivity agreement in light of the fact that the iP4 on AT&T has it and any Symbian phone can have it.

5. Rob_A

Rob_A Well-Known Member

Yes, but no Phone to PC chat.

Even the live streaming has a 5-10 second delay at optimal speed.:(

6. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns! VIP Member

7. eieio

eieio Well-Known Member

8. EarlyMon

Subscription based and according to their web site, view-only for Android?

Is the view-only completely true?

And by subscription?

No, thanks.

9. EarlyMon

Yeah. No.

The only thing that Verizon had was exclusive access to the Skype client.

The Skype protocol is openly available to developers and is obtained by getting the Skype SDK.

Fring has been acting as a Skype client for quite some time.

It wasn't until the iP4 launched that suddenly Skype blocked Fring, and then 2 turnarounds in as many weeks on what their business and profit models would be - all the while hiding behind the claim that Fring was "damaging their image."

At no point did they - or Verizon - initiate any action whatsoever based on any violation of agreements.

It's been all about the Benjamins and the entire "Verizon exclusivity" has been a load of marketing hogwash.

Where's your official AIM client? Yahoo client? MSN client?

Most people use other clients to access the server protocols and everyone's fine with it so long as business models don't get violated.

Skype's last claim is that they've decided to not go after money for carrier time and just make money on Skype minutes. The original model that built their business, the one we used throughout the month of June on our Evos. What a concept.

http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g/118517-fring-now-supports-skype-video-between-evo-iphone-4-a.html

If you want the references to Skype's business model stuff they're in here:

http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g/129967-skype-begins-get-clue.html

Maybe as long as we can't get a Skype client, it's a distinction without a difference to some - but - this whole Verizon exclusive thing is just Skype hiding behind Mom's skirts.

Their shortsightedness and bickering with a client maker has only served to screw with their own users and let's say my company is composed of few of them. In fact, I can safely say that there are at least a thousand or more buyers of Skype minutes that we've directly influenced and no telling how those networks branched out.

I'm looking forward to the Adobe Air possibilities.

I'm looking forward to any of these jerks getting a clue.

PS - Your link is from May. Skype changed their minds more times than I can count since that article's come out.

10. EasyEEE

EasyEEE Well-Known Member

Bambuser is one way Android to PC. Broadcast live to the web. Free as far as I an tell. Tried it once driving down the road on 3g. Son watched at home on web.

Not quite the answer you were looking for.

11. eieio

eieio Well-Known Member

No subscription. Download it free from the market. Go to the website and down load the desktop client.

12. EasyEEE

EasyEEE Well-Known Member

Movicha

Specific version for EVO on their web site.

Not getting great feedback.

13. charlottenian

charlottenian Active Member This Topic's Starter

thanks everyone for the updates, seems we will have to wait until fring/skype solve their differences or if someone else jumps in and dominates the market