• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

So what do folks think?

If you've got this model - what do you think?

Is it a good value for the money?

Does the phone work well?

Have you come across any bugs?

Is tech support from T-Mobile or LG any good on this model?

Share your experiences!

My mom got one for $1 on upgrade at Walmart. She really likes it, the screen is very bright and it seems to get pretty decent battery life.

It's not as fast in benchmarks as my LG Spectrum, but it does well enough. The interface is smooth and I like the thinness and squared off design.

My mom thinks the camera is great, and at least the pictures that I've seen on her screen turned out well.

Two small complaints:

1. It doesn't come with a memory card so you'll need to buy one eventually.
2. I don't like the T-mobile icon constantly stuck in the notification bar. Sure it is handy to pull it down and check your minutes but I just don't like things in my notification bar that you can't dismiss.

Lg overall is not well known for providing timely updates, I'm not really sure if the L9 will ever get Jellybean, but it would be nice.

Upvote 0
My mom got one for $1 on upgrade at Walmart. She really likes it, the screen is very bright and it seems to get pretty decent battery life.

It's not as fast in benchmarks as my LG Spectrum, but it does well enough. The interface is smooth and I like the thinness and squared off design.

My mom thinks the camera is great, and at least the pictures that I've seen on her screen turned out well.

Two small complaints:

2. I don't like the T-mobile icon constantly stuck in the notification bar. Sure it is handy to pull it down and check your minutes but I just don't like things in my notification bar that you can't dismiss.

Lg overall is not well known for providing timely updates, I'm not really sure if the L9 will ever get Jellybean, but it would be nice.
It works rather well and fast regardless the slow CPU.
Like other 4.x devices I have, I changed font to Windows 7 type.

Upvote 0

Two small complaints:

You can turn that notification off. When I first got my phone last night, that was the first thing I did. I think I just clicked on the notification and it sent me to a screen that one of the options was to change notification settings. Done.:)

Upvote 0
This phone has been absolutely great so far! Picking it up for $1 at Walmart is what really makes this phone a steal. It's very snappy and smooth with a great screen and has a ton of RAM.

I think all of the current owners are just waiting for easier solutions to root on the 10e versions currently selling. If you get one that is 10a through 10c or d your in luck, because that can already be rooted if you do some digging around. Didn't work for me though.

Scratch that- the root method explained on this forum worked for me! See here:

http://androidforums.com/optimus-l9...ted-root-t-mobile-lg-l9-p769.html#post5316339

Really the only downfall is the darn bloatware! But, this is not uncommon in most phones I suppose.

~K:smokingsomb:

Upvote 0
Well, looks like I am the one who is disappointed at it. Compare to my 2 year Droid X2, the only real improvement is the weight.

However, the camera is simply a mess, can't take any reasonable, not even to talk about decent, pictures under low light. At the same, even my cheap HTC one v can take a shot. On L9, you see dark screen, that's it.

Complain #2, the touch screen seems quite unresponsive. I had to touch twice sometimes three times while I never I had to do this with other phones even with screen protectors.

Complain #3, no auto display light adjustment, r u kidding me LG?

Overall, I'd say for $200, I'd rather go with a droid x2 or equivalent in good condition. But, everybody knows that GSM phones are more expensive than CDMA ones on the used market, for example, droid x2 goes for $100 at this time.

Upvote 0
I think for the price it's a great phone. I got it for $200 as a prepaid phone and am using it on my value line at t-mobile. I didn't want to deal with the possibility of buying a used lemon. It doesn't have a ton of internal storage but once I figured it out it's been easy to move stuff to an external sd card. The camera is not great but I wonder if something is wrong with the previous poster's camera (have you turned on the flash?) because it isn't horrible. Photos come out somewhat grainy under low light conditions but they aren't black. I'm having to get used to the back button being on the left and the settings button being on the right but I'm sure I'll adapt. The screen looks great for what I've read isn't supposed to be a great screen. Call quality has been good. I like that I was able to "disable" most of the bloatware without having to root. Hulu+ works nicely but I haven't been able to play anything with Netflix. Battery life is somewhat better than my last two phones. I'm a heavy user and haven't had to charge it during the day although it has gotten low. I personally like that it displays my minutes at the top since I'm on a 500 minute plan. GrooVe IP also works well except for incoming calls it seems to get confused (but it did that on my previous phone as well). Smart Tools is also fully functional and I wasn't expecting it to be.
Edit: I forgot to mention the LG swype-like keyboard. It was much less accurate than swype beta for me, so I installed swype beta. To change the input method install the one you like, open up a text and swipe down the notifications.

Upvote 0
Nexus 4 user (obviously) but we just got this phone in a few days ago and it actually looks pretty sweet for $199.99 (PROTIP: Always buy off contract)

Anyway before we had this I had to recommend Samsung Galaxy SII that still ran garbage Gingerbread but it's nice to see this phone caters to those looking for a big screen at a small price.

Upvote 0
Nexus 4 user (obviously) but we just got this phone in a few days ago and it actually looks pretty sweet for $199.99 (PROTIP: Always buy off contract)

Anyway before we had this I had to recommend Samsung Galaxy SII that still ran garbage Gingerbread but it's nice to see this phone caters to those looking for a big screen at a small price.

The SII on T-Mobile has been officially upgradable to Ice Cream for awhile and is about to get Jelly Bean real soon.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones