So what do you do when you root?

Last Updated:

1. jlemus

jlemus Member This Topic's Starter

Hi everyone

I'm new to this forum and to android phones. I had a blackberry for 2 years prior to this and finally got my hands on an awesome phone.

So I would like it if someone could tell me what the advantages of rooting your phone would be? Is it just that you can make your screens customizable via using ROMs? ....I won't even front- what is a ROM?

Also, if I root, I heard this voids the warranty. But what if after I root I just you know, reset the phone, does this make the warranty valid again?

Thanks all.

Advertisement
  2. tool2269

tool2269 Member

one big advantage of rooting the evo.. 'free wifi tethering' and (once figured out) a way to put and open apps from the storage card

root voids warranty; but i think theres a way to flash back to stock. (not by just reseting the phone)

for the rest: http://tinyurl.com/33fajtd ;)

vss123 likes this.
  3. jlemus

jlemus Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks tool. Yeah that free wifi thing sounds like a great advantage. I also heard that you could prolong your battery life once you root.Is this true?

4. ekt8750

ekt8750 Well-Known Member

Rooting also gives you the ability to delete all of Sprint's bloatware apps off your phone.

5. docprego

docprego Well-Known Member

Won't it also allow installation of custom rom's? If that is the case then this is where rooting your phone will allow it to realize its potential. My previous phone was a Touch Pro 2 and the rom's available for that device transformed it into a different beast entirely (in a very good way).

6. bullonie

bullonie Active Member

EVO 4G General - xda-developers

7. RickInHouston

RickInHouston Well-Known Member

I'm trying to wrap my head around root. I have read a few posts top to bottom. Here's a couple of easy questions I hope will get answered:

Rooting allows for all access. Does it also wipe android and Sense from the phone? Is the phone unusable until a custom ROM is installed?

Since Froyo has been released, why can't it be flashed now to an EVO and work?