So what exactly is the issue with gps?

Last Updated:

1. artvandalay22222

artvandalay22222 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Ok, well it seems to work ok for me. The only issue I had was it occasionally seemed to think I was on another road that was running parallel and close to the one I was on.

Oh and the other issue I had....

When I got to work, I turned gps off and noticed the phone felt REALLY hot. I through it on a table to let it cool off. I thought it was just hot from using the gps but after half an hour or so the phone was still really hot, AND my battery was nearly dead. I immediatly turned it off and back on and it cooled off quickly.

Not really sure what that was all about but I dont think I will be using gps much after that

Advertisement
  2. dsjr2006

dsjr2006 Well-Known Member

That's because the GPS in these phones isn't working properly. I think you must have missed the million posts already about this issue.

3. jmreed97

jmreed97 Well-Known Member

:confused: Seriously?

I think you know what the issue is with the GPS. Imagine getting navigation directions when the phone thinks you are on a street you aren't on.

4. artvandalay22222

artvandalay22222 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

ok. I was just wondering. It did work for the most part.

5. blazeplacid

blazeplacid Well-Known Member

On my phone the maps app will follow me where I go and even if I turn the phone around

Turn by turn Google navigation is the issue.

6. ruppert

ruppert Active Member

Here is a comparison I made of tracks recorded by the gps in the iPhone 3g, HTC Aria, and the Captivate. I think it pretty clearly shows my problem with the gps.

7. mistat0m

mistat0m Member

for some reason, after not being able to lock on at all, my GPS has been very reliable over the past couple of days without modifying my phone at all. I'm in nyc.

8. kak

kak Member

I've tried a multitude of settings and the thing doesn't work at all. The closest lock I have seen is within 60m, but tracking doesn't work at all. Hopefully there is a fix soon.

9. JEF81

JEF81 Active Member

go to settings>Location and security> check Use wireless networks. GPS will work like a charm.

10. jmreed97

jmreed97 Well-Known Member

Old news Mr. Samsung troll... Most people have tried that with no change... a 1300 meter location lock is not accurate enough for mytracks, navigation or any other GPS program where being off by a mile matters.

11. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

No. Approximate position estimation from cell tower and wifi APs is not "GPS". GPS uses satellites, and the GPS reception/system on the Captivate has issues.

Approximate augmented positioning data from other less-precise sources does not fix the Captivate's GPS.