so what happens when verizon pushes 2.2 ota?

Last Updated:

1. Adamx

Adamx Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Like if you are rooted will you lose root if you choose to upgrade to the official 2.2 (assuming a better stable 2.2 rom is not available at the time)?

Or do you keep root even after updating? Sorry if this is a noob question.

Advertisement
  2. ZXMustang

ZXMustang Well-Known Member

You do not get the update at all OTA if you are rooted. You will need to "Unroot" back to stock or just load a custom ROM writtin from a 2.2 stock build that one of the devs have put out. But you will not get the OTA update if you are rooted.

3. Adamx

Adamx Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

tough choices, now with rumors that froyo will arrive sometime this month for the inc, I really must have full flash ASAP.

4. tudmf

tudmf Well-Known Member

Not true.

You will still receive OTA on stock root; however, if you do the upgrade you will LOSE ROOT and have to wait for another root method. Just wait for someone to take the OTA and create a ROM we can flash and maintain root. Probably will be out before OTA and will have OTA removed so you do not get nagged.

5. yojoe600

yojoe600 Well-Known Member

just wait till someone makes a custom stock 2.2 rom thats rooted.. and flash it

6. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

+1

You won't get an OTA nag if you are running a custom ROM. If you're on stock, you should get it. Choose no unless you want to lose root.

7. ZXMustang

Sorry, no. You will not get the update at all.

8. tudmf

tudmf Well-Known Member

Please provide source of your info.

Its odd how all the people who downgraded to gain root kept getting nagged with OTA and lost root when upgraded. Also with the current limited OTA (720P, hotspot) those who had root reacieved the OTA notification and lost root if upgraded. Please let me know if there is something I am unaware of.

Thanks

9. ZXMustang

First off, there is no OTA yet for froyo 2.2 so NObody has had any experience yet with it. Secondly, going from a 2.1 rooted droid on verizon, I KNOW that you will not get the OTA notification let alone the update. That said, these are running very similar software and one can gather that the the situation would be the same. I guess I dont have hard facts, but the incredible would be the first phone that I know of that would get an OTA operating system update being rooted. I can assure you that an OS update will not happen for those already rooted.

10. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

What's this all about then?

11. vonfeldt7

vonfeldt7 Well-Known Member

Not necessarily.. It depends on the rom. Just because you are rooted doesn't mean that you won't ever receive notifications for OTAs.. It just depends on the rom.

12. Jakaro

Jakaro Well-Known Member

When 2.2 does drop, will someone make it into a rooted rom thats not custom, i just want the update, but still have root, no mods.

13. tudmf

tudmf Well-Known Member

Yes