so what happens when

Last Updated:

1. hockeyfreakb4

hockeyfreakb4 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

i receive an OTA update tomorrow and i am rooted with tons of mods done but still stock rom? will i not be notified or what? if i install it will anything go wrong or will my root access just be removed?

Advertisement
  2. riffdex

riffdex Well-Known Member

i dont believe it will update without asking you but i am not 100% sure on that. Side effects of going from your modded root to 2.1 are unforeseen. it could be completely fine, or there could be some problems. i definitely wouldnt count on it to go down without any problems at all. id say you block ota updates to be safe.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

3. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

Tons of mods? What kind of mods? With the stock ROM? What recovery are you using?

4. Knitewulf

Knitewulf Well-Known Member

5. orkinman1075

orkinman1075 New Member

I've also been wondering about this. I'm rooted and overclocked but that's about it, just using the stock ROM as well. I think I'm planning on updating to 2.1, even if it does unroot, so I'd like to know at least what to expect when the update is finally pushed out.

6. doomedromance

doomedromance Well-Known Member

If you do the update you will lose root access. If your mods are like themes, graphic, icon changes, you'll probably lose that too, the update will probably update all those framework files and replace what you've modified.

If you want the OTA, then install bugless beast or Simply stunning. they'll perform better than the stock OTA anyway. The ROMs now are the same OTA that VZW is about to roll out.

7. radikal

radikal Well-Known Member

If you are running most custom roms, you are already using the update they are sending out, but its modified, you will likely be sad with how slow it is