• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

So what have you enjoyed most about your EVO so far?

cabbie

Android Expert
Mar 23, 2010
For me, it starts with the massive screen.

*Web browsing is so much easier, I don't know how my vision didn't get shot staring at the tiny little Hero.

*Games. I bought Dungeon Hunter from Gameloft and just now killed an hour questing on it. Its a Diablo-style game and its very immersive and addicting. Would not be possible without the screen.

*Movies/Video. I've watched a decent amount of YouTube and SprintTV on it and the screen + kickstand has made it awesome. I also just ripped my first DVD and transferred it to the phone and it looks great.

*Other things that just work so much better include Navigation, Maps, Google Earth, and LogMeIn.

My second favorite feature is simply the bigger ROM. On my Hero, I would be able to have only 80 apps installed. I kept another 50 backed up to my SD card simply because the Hero couldn't handle the space. Since getting the EVO, I've installed all of those as well as adding apps without abandon and have only now reached the point where I'm getting the 'low storage' warning. FroYo will make this a relative non-issue with apps2sd, happily.

Once 4G finally gets built out to my part of Houston I'm sure it'll be my third favorite feature ;)

Share your positive story :D

For me, it starts with the massive screen.

*Web browsing is so much easier, I don't know how my vision didn't get shot staring at the tiny little Hero.

*Games. I bought Dungeon Hunter from Gameloft and just now killed an hour questing on it. Its a Diablo-style game and its very immersive and addicting. Would not be possible without the screen.

*Movies/Video. I've watched a decent amount of YouTube and SprintTV on it and the screen + kickstand has made it awesome. I also just ripped my first DVD and transferred it to the phone and it looks great.

*Other things that just work so much better include Navigation, Maps, Google Earth, and LogMeIn.

My second favorite feature is simply the bigger ROM. On my Hero, I would be able to have only 80 apps installed. I kept another 50 backed up to my SD card simply because the Hero couldn't handle the space. Since getting the EVO, I've installed all of those as well as adding apps without abandon and have only now reached the point where I'm getting the 'low storage' warning. FroYo will make this a relative non-issue with apps2sd, happily.

Once 4G finally gets built out to my part of Houston I'm sure it'll be my third favorite feature ;)

Share your positive story :D
130 plus apps? Well dam! Lls what chu download them for the fun of it

Upvote 0
I think Android itself. Having the options to change and customize so much. I came from a crappy, dumb "smart phone" that only really had mobile web. So apps and widgets and a whole new world :)
same here. i came from a touch pro with windows mobile. :(

the android's ease of use and without the freezing up and crashes is like a breath of fresh air! :)

also, i am an excessive internet browser and at work, i'm browsing 5 hours a day and the Evo and it's huge screen + Dolphin HD browser + Android OS = superior internet surfing experience! ;)

Upvote 0
Screen Size - It is amazing. I was helping my Father in law do something on his Droid and I thought, "That thing is tiny. How does he type on that?"

Android - Come over from WINMO on Moto Q. I love the fact that you can change and customize this thing to however you want it to be.

Oh and HomeRun Battle 3D, this game alone has caused me to waste countless hours on my phone. It is amazing.

Upvote 0
- Android. The best thing going right now IMO. IOS bores me to tears. Windows mobile is worthless to me as well.

- 4g. I never thought phone browsing would be worthwhile, but this combined with the second part have made it almost as good as browsing on a laptop.

- Browser. The auto-fit feature makes browsing so much easier. I absolutely hate scrolling back and forth to see a website. I used to prefer waiting for the laptop than doing that.

- Screen. Both size and proportion are great.

- Speed. Far faster than anything else I've had and plenty fast enough for me.

- Sense. Namely the scenes (but also the pinch to see all home screens and widgets). I love that I can have a whole different personality with the switch of scenes. Might be my favorite feature of the phone.

- Capacitive Buttons. Like they don't exist until you need them to.

- HDMI. Have not used yet, but I'm guaranteed to in the near future. Just need the HDMI cord.

- Video Chat. Practiced with my wife over skype. Was laggy, but that's because the home connection is worse than my 3g at 3 bars.

- Sexiness. The phone is sexy and sleek. Best looking phone out.

Upvote 0
have to say the screen is number one!! I came from the 2.2" HTC Touch resistive display, the Evo is literally two times the size!! I still have my old phone and everytime I see it I think it must be a wrist watch or something, cause it is so small!!

I am also loving the easy of getting apps on the phone, it was like trying to get away with murder on my HTC Touch (just a note, never killed a living thing bigger than a baseball...)

I would also add the Youtube app, but I still cannot get the YouTube app to work, It always locks up somewhere between 51 seconds and 1:35 into any video, I have to use a system panel to kill the task in order to use it again. and I've tried a hard reset, still does it. and yes I downloaded the new version from the market after I hard reset. I've tried on multiple wifi networks, and over 3G (no 4G here)

Upvote 0
1. Aldiko - I get to carry Project Gutenberg around, last night, read three Phillip K. Dick short stories - great fun, only possible because of the screen size.

2. RemoteDroid - new interface for my HTPC media center. Again, much easier to couch out with the larger form factor.

3. Tricorder - the bigger the screen, the more life-like Tricorder seems. Without a Tricorder, I could be dead, Jim!

4. Power control widgets - now I have control of my resources - I can be strict or lazy, it's not difficult.

5. Google Earth and Google Sky more fun with larger screen - especially Google sky, always fun to have in my pocket when setting up telescope.

6. Fring - for Skype-to-desktop-Skype videoconferencing - saves me a lot of work time and unchains me from my laptop and wifi zones.

Upvote 0
*Google. How it integrates with my gmail, calendar, etc...
*Browsing. Finally a phone I enjoy using for browsing
*Screen. Beautiful.
*WiFi. First for me...my Sprint signal at home is bad. So WiFi is very nice.
*Exchange. So much better than my old setup to get work email on my personal phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones