• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

So what phone are you going to get when you can dump your Eris brick?

Well, besides dumb phones, it appears to me that LG has been attempting to capture, via cheaper devices, would-be Blackberry users for the past couple of years.

And now, Android seems like a natural, almost windfall of an addition to their lineup. I'm guessing that Verizon loves the idea of having that platform for lower pricing of Android products.

Which brings us back to the Eris, its pricing and EOL.. hello LG Ally.

Upvote 0
I don't see why Android just doesn't become the default OS for most companies. Sure your standard flip phone can probably get by with a 100mhz embedded arm processor but you have to have a custom RTOS made for the phone that runs in a tiny amount of memory. As long as you keep your innards fairly standard it shouldn't be that hard to make an android phone. You could just pick and choose parts from other android phones and put them together.

Upvote 0
I don't see why Android just doesn't become the default OS for most companies. Sure your standard flip phone can probably get by with a 100mhz embedded arm processor but you have to have a custom RTOS made for the phone that runs in a tiny amount of memory. As long as you keep your innards fairly standard it shouldn't be that hard to make an android phone. You could just pick and choose parts from other android phones and put them together.
Not everyone wants an Android phone let alone a smartphone. There still is a competitive market in the dumbphone world, because they are still in demand. Though, as dumbphones start becoming more like smartphones, featurewise, they will eventually just bridge that gap and they may all become one and the same.

Upvote 0
if it would me i would save my upgrade until at least september when we know more about gingerbread (which WILL be a game changer). it is coming Q1 and there are min. specs already out. i would wait as long as possible to get a new phone and it would deff be vanilla so i would get the pfficial update with little to no wait time.

the only thing is there aren't many htc phones that dont have sense so i would prob have to go for a moto phone i guess. not entirely a bad thing i just like htc better.

but none of that matters bc i dont have an update until december anyway so i will probably just wait and get a phone that is sold with gingerbread preinstalled.

Upvote 0
Well seeing as I just bought my Eris two weeks ago I won't be getting a new phone for 2 years so I'll have to see what is out then LOL. I know it has been only 2 weeks, but I have had zero problems with my Eris. It is running 1.5 out of the box...maybe someday they will push the upgrade to 2.1 to my phone we shall see...

Upvote 0
Well seeing as I just bought my Eris two weeks ago I won't be getting a new phone for 2 years so I'll have to see what is out then LOL. I know it has been only 2 weeks, but I have had zero problems with my Eris. It is running 1.5 out of the box...maybe someday they will push the upgrade to 2.1 to my phone we shall see...
Well if 2.1 properly works on your phone, you'll realize that the time back in 1.5 were the dark days of the Eris.

Okay, not really. But I think that 2.1 is better in almost every way. It has better memory management, and it is faster.

Upvote 0
You're right; if I had a device that became anything less than what if was at the point of purchase, I'd take measures to have it replaced. Failing that I'd go to another device altogether.

Keep in mind, though, that those of us fortunate enough to have a good Eris are quite likely in the vast majority.

Users with phone problems go to forums for help, and when they encounter a great forum such as this one, they remain and become part of a community. I'd venture an estimate of about 70% to 30% good to bad devices among the Eris using population at large and quite the opposite in the forums.

While I often agree with your logic as it is generally sound, I have to disagree with this. Everyone I know with an Eris has issues and is ready to ditch it for something else. The only people I see reporting no problems what so ever are here on this forum.

As much as we wanted 2.1, I think it hosed up more than 50% of the eris handsets out there. I think Verizon is working very hard to hide this fact. I state this as many who are now getting replacements are getting phones that are worse off then what they started with. I think that replacements are only being factory reset, maybe flashed to 2.1 or re-flashed and then put right back into the replacement chain.

My co-worker has a moto droid and went on a rant to me about his droid. Besides the crappy keyboard, his only complaint was 3 home screens. Which I fixed for him by installing LauncherPro and now he loves his phone other than the keyboard.

I have to side with the OP and 2.1 ruined my phone. The only problem I had on 1.5 was dialer lag and some over all slowness. Which I now know could have been fixed by not using sense. oh and the worst 5mp camera ever. Out of hundreds of pics I have taken, I have gotten maybe a dozen clear images that were not blurry.

Reactions: gm991
Upvote 0

You may already have the update. Menu > Settings > About Phone > System Updates.

I know someone who bought a refurbished replacement when he broke his first Eris. It had 1.5 out of the box but the update was waiting for him when he checked the settings.

Upvote 0
I have to disagree with you.

Everyone I know with an Eris has issues and is ready to ditch it for something else. The only people I see reporting no problems what so ever are here on this forum.

Personal, anecdotal experience is what drives us to our conclusions about these issues; yours is 180 degrees different than mine, it appears.

Adding your report to what I've seen here and in my personal and professional life does chip away a bit at my overall positive impression of the Eris, especially of the 1.5 to 2.1 change (although I've seen angst over 1.5 morph into gratitude for the OTA that finally came along).

I have to stick with my (roughly) 70/30 percent good/bad view on the subject.. for now.

The 30% bad, in my opinion, is an expression of poor quality control at the manufacturing and assembly plants, along with a sort of "magnifying glass" effect on some devices running well on 1.5 but which could not handle 2.1.. being good but "on the edge," so to speak. 2.1 pushed them over.

Upvote 0
Laggy devices, unless defective, which I suspect in the Eris as I see how common it is, are sometimes just overloaded with resource draining apps, browser and phone history, old messages and emails and full app caches.
how do I clean some of this stuff out?

browser and phone history, old messages and emails and full app caches.
Apps caches I know, what about browser and phone history,and old messages

Upvote 0
The 30% bad, in my opinion, is an expression of poor quality control at the manufacturing and assembly plants.[/QUOTE]

you may be right about the other stuff, but I have a hard time believing that if someone (me) had NO problems on 1.5 and then the only thing that changes is the software (2.1) what does that have to do with how the phone was built at the plant, it worked great when I got it, the software screwed it up.....right??

Upvote 0
how do I clean some of this stuff out?

browser and phone history, old messages and emails and full app caches.
Apps caches I know, what about browser and phone history,and old messages

You can delete old messages by simply using the delete command in the stock messaging application.

Phone history is another readily available menu item.. you'll see "call history" in the main menu of the stock phone application, too.

Reactions: gm991
Upvote 0
You can delete old messages by simply using the delete command in the stock messaging application.

Phone history is another readily available menu item.. you'll see "call history" in the main menu of the stock phone application, too.

do those two things really effect the phone speed or would you say the browser and app cache is more the problem?

Upvote 0
gm991 said: "you may be right about the other stuff, but I have a hard time believing that if someone (me) had NO problems on 1.5 and then the only thing that changes is the software (2.1) what does that have to do with how the phone was built at the plant, it worked great when I got it, the software screwed it up.....right??"

I've seen updates come in and mess up good devices often. It seems easy to isolate the update as the problem, until we ask why that same update enhanced other devices and did as it was supposed to do. Then we are challenged to do some critical thinking on the issue.

It is an old problem in updating electronics: when there is a plurality of devices to all be updated by the same software, the effects of that update are quite predictably going to be along a range of "perfect to pretty good to fair to poor to fatal."

The reasons that happens are a category all their own in software design.

Upvote 0
Ha! I just got mine a week ago. The only problem I had was the battery was running down very quickly. I thought it was because I was connected to 3G all the time. No, it turns out I had to get Advanced Task Killer installed.(which a Verizon tech. did for me this morning) It's been over 2 hours and my battery is fine, connected with sync enabled. I didn't realize how many apps were running! I'll stick with this phone for a while. I love it.

Upvote 0
Ha! I just got mine a week ago. The only problem I had was the battery was running down very quickly. I thought it was because I was connected to 3G all the time. No, it turns out I had to get Advanced Task Killer installed.(which a Verizon tech. did for me this morning) It's been over 2 hours and my battery is fine, connected with sync enabled. I didn't realize how many apps were running! I'll stick with this phone for a while. I love it.

FYI
Best phone management app out there is "System Panel"
try it, had ATK and trashed it for this..

Upvote 0
gm991,

I read a fair bit of this thread, but not all of it.

What I sticks out most (in my mind) is that you complain vociferously about your phone, and also refuse to root it. That is close to saying "I'd rather complain than do anything about it." Granted, if you think your phone isn't working in a "factory" state, there are reasons to complain - but if something is wrong with "factory", then the only option which is available to you is "non-factory" - and you are refusing to take steps in that direction.

It is incredibly difficult to have any objective information about what % of people have troubles with their phone, for a variety of reasons:

- on forums, the people who show up are either enthusiasts or people with problems; so the sampling isn't random; there's a whole group of people in the middle who neither experience any problems or are bothered enough by them to report them. The really diligent enthusiasts tend to not have any troubles because they (a) have a better understanding of the way their phone works, and (b) self-modify their behaviors in order to stay out of trouble.

- for smartphones in particular, because they are capable of a lot of behaviors, lack of familiarity or knowledge about the device often convinces the end user that "something is wrong" with the device, when in fact the user simply does not understand how the device works. (A classic example is a user who showed up here complaining how "horrible" it was that when he deleted his call logs completely, "a list of contacts showed up in the call log sorted in alphabetical order!" - heh, one man's feature is another's bug)

- for Android phones in particular, it is quite easy for the user to bugger their phone with a mish-mash of apps loaded from the marketplace, as Google filters essentially no apps Users coming from a closed phone / dumbphone experience often expect "the phone should just work flawlessly no matter what I do". That is clearly a misplaced expectation. Those folks should have chosen the (Fascist) iPhone app marketplace instead.

- Variation in user behavior. An example might be - I don't use the Exchange client functionality; for all I know, it is a hideous POS; but because I never use it, it can't be a problem for me. So even if every Eris user alive shared exactly one phone, every one of them would have a different opinion about the phone, according to their individual experience and predilictions.

- Its a fact of life (which has nothing to do with phones), that people love to complain. About everything. I don't know why; perhaps it gives them a sense of superiority or a sense of control.

Note that I am not saying any of these things about you, as I don't know you; but point out why subjective and non-random data can produce an appearance which is different from the "average" experience.

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones - my phone has worked "flawlessly" for me on 1.5, flawlessly on OTA 2.1, and quite well as a rooted phone (many of the ROMs have outright flaws). But as they say, "the harder I worked, the luckier I got".

I will say that there are two things that HTC/VZW should have changed right out of the box, and this would have changed a lot of people's impressions about the phone:

1) The Android process trimmer was configured to kick in too late. The phone does act like a complete dog when it sits at 25-30 Mb free memory. And all you have to do to get there is run the browser and a couple of apps, and presto - slow phone. Pretty much, if you don't take steps (such as using a task manager to keep an eye on things), the phone will run slowly

2) Haptic feedback should have been turned off by default. The difference in texting/text entry speed without haptic feedback is remarkeable.

Finally, a couple points about logic. The phones are designed to behave identically to one another from a hardware point of view. The software that gets loaded on them is initially bit-for-bit identical. That means that at the moment in time when a FR is performed, barring any hardware defect - all phones are identical.

So, you have to ask yourself - how is it that one person can report "my phone is flawless", and another reports "my phone is a POS" - when they start out life as identical units? Clearly it is impossible that "something is (fundamentally) wrong with 2.1" - otherwise, it would be impossible for any user to have a "flawless" experience.

The reason that both views are possible (in the absence of hardware problems) is due to variability in user behavior - apps, the way the phone is used most frequently, the breadth of use, the amount of data left hanging around in caches, etc, etc, etc. The only way to control those sorts of things so that all users have the same experience is to revert to a dumb/closed phone model of use.

If you haven't done it already, I would encourage you to FR your 2.1 phone and see if you have a different experience. (Actually, I think you should root your phone - it is a pleasure to use at 710 Mhz, even if you don't change the software from OTA-2.1, aka Plain Jane or Ivanmmj "Offical 1.0")

eu1

Upvote 0
Which I now know could have been fixed by not using sense. oh and the worst 5mp camera ever. Out of hundreds of pics I have taken, I have gotten maybe a dozen clear images that were not blurry.
I think you need to lay off the caffeine. :p

Although the Eris doesn't have particularly great camera for low light situations (you have to hold it VERY still), it does a fairly respectable job for pictures outdoors or with bright lighting.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones