• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

So what phone are you going to get when you can dump your Eris brick?

Sorry, I certainly phrased that wrong (meant no offense). I do think we're more likely to see folks report their problems (i.e., that their phones don't work like they wish that they would) here than folks that haven't had a lot of problems. I've only seen a few threads of people espousing how trouble-free their phones are. I've had the occasional force closes, weird things happen, but unless they are consistent / persistent issues, I don't consider them anything more than a glitch. (also, using Microsoft products for all of this time tends to inure one to anything less than a blue screen of death :D).

P.S. I re-phrased my original post :)

mine has been very trouble free. dialing lag though. im trading mine up cuz it was my plan from the start. i got the eris while waiting for the dinc. my daughter just got hers. another daughter is gonna get one. imo, (for young kids especially) the eris is just fine. my kids arent gonna do near the stuff i will be doing. so i hate to see these posts cuz it makes me feel like i cheated my kids or something.

Upvote 0
Thinking about this sweet @ss device myself. Just wish there was some kind of keyboard for it though.:D
communication.jpg

Upvote 0
Great, informative, downright scholarly post, erisuser1.

+100

keep it clean. and it will run fine. i will root my daughters when it comes along(1.49 root). also, i found myself with lots of conflicting apps. apps that do the same things. rooting(even just su to overclock) and keeping it tidy(just like your pc) will keep it going for a long time. i hope im not cheating my kids:(

Upvote 0
I would LOVE to get the Droid X if it wasn't SO big. That thing is basically a tablet that is supposed to somehow fit in your pocket. I'm not that big of a guy, and that phone would barely fit in my pocket.
I'm rooted and am still not that happy with my phone. With that said, my phone is usable as rooted, but was almost unusable on 2.1 v3, which is by all accounts the OTA.
In the meantime, I have until September 2011 (I think) before I'm eligible for the new every 2. I think I'll hold off on getting a new phone until some of the 4G phones start showing up (assuming that's before September 2011). I was very close to switching to Sprint for the EVO, but I'm glad I didn't.
When I do get a new phone, I probably will not get another HTC. It seems that they can make a good phone, but that many of their phones have factory defects. And it seems they have some pretty poor management. There's no excuse for not having enough screens for a top-tier phone. There must have been some indication that Samsung might run short.
I'm hoping a Samsung Galaxy S (or whatever it would be called) makes it way over to Verizon soon.

Upvote 0
gm991,

I read a fair bit of this thread, but not all of it.

What I sticks out most (in my mind) is that you complain vociferously about your phone, and also refuse to root it. That is close to saying "I'd rather complain than do anything about it." Granted, if you think your phone isn't working in a "factory" state, there are reasons to complain - but if something is wrong with "factory", then the only option which is available to you is "non-factory" - and you are refusing to take steps in that direction.

It is incredibly difficult to have any objective information about what % of people have troubles with their phone, for a variety of reasons:

- on forums, the people who show up are either enthusiasts or people with problems; so the sampling isn't random; there's a whole group of people in the middle who neither experience any problems or are bothered enough by them to report them. The really diligent enthusiasts tend to not have any troubles because they (a) have a better understanding of the way their phone works, and (b) self-modify their behaviors in order to stay out of trouble.

- for smartphones in particular, because they are capable of a lot of behaviors, lack of familiarity or knowledge about the device often convinces the end user that "something is wrong" with the device, when in fact the user simply does not understand how the device works. (A classic example is a user who showed up here complaining how "horrible" it was that when he deleted his call logs completely, "a list of contacts showed up in the call log sorted in alphabetical order!" - heh, one man's feature is another's bug)

- for Android phones in particular, it is quite easy for the user to bugger their phone with a mish-mash of apps loaded from the marketplace, as Google filters essentially no apps Users coming from a closed phone / dumbphone experience often expect "the phone should just work flawlessly no matter what I do". That is clearly a misplaced expectation. Those folks should have chosen the (Fascist) iPhone app marketplace instead.

- Variation in user behavior. An example might be - I don't use the Exchange client functionality; for all I know, it is a hideous POS; but because I never use it, it can't be a problem for me. So even if every Eris user alive shared exactly one phone, every one of them would have a different opinion about the phone, according to their individual experience and predilictions.

- Its a fact of life (which has nothing to do with phones), that people love to complain. About everything. I don't know why; perhaps it gives them a sense of superiority or a sense of control.

Note that I am not saying any of these things about you, as I don't know you; but point out why subjective and non-random data can produce an appearance which is different from the "average" experience.

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones - my phone has worked "flawlessly" for me on 1.5, flawlessly on OTA 2.1, and quite well as a rooted phone (many of the ROMs have outright flaws). But as they say, "the harder I worked, the luckier I got".

I will say that there are two things that HTC/VZW should have changed right out of the box, and this would have changed a lot of people's impressions about the phone:

1) The Android process trimmer was configured to kick in too late. The phone does act like a complete dog when it sits at 25-30 Mb free memory. And all you have to do to get there is run the browser and a couple of apps, and presto - slow phone. Pretty much, if you don't take steps (such as using a task manager to keep an eye on things), the phone will run slowly

2) Haptic feedback should have been turned off by default. The difference in texting/text entry speed without haptic feedback is remarkeable.

Finally, a couple points about logic. The phones are designed to behave identically to one another from a hardware point of view. The software that gets loaded on them is initially bit-for-bit identical. That means that at the moment in time when a FR is performed, barring any hardware defect - all phones are identical.

So, you have to ask yourself - how is it that one person can report "my phone is flawless", and another reports "my phone is a POS" - when they start out life as identical units? Clearly it is impossible that "something is (fundamentally) wrong with 2.1" - otherwise, it would be impossible for any user to have a "flawless" experience.

The reason that both views are possible (in the absence of hardware problems) is due to variability in user behavior - apps, the way the phone is used most frequently, the breadth of use, the amount of data left hanging around in caches, etc, etc, etc. The only way to control those sorts of things so that all users have the same experience is to revert to a dumb/closed phone model of use.

If you haven't done it already, I would encourage you to FR your 2.1 phone and see if you have a different experience. (Actually, I think you should root your phone - it is a pleasure to use at 710 Mhz, even if you don't change the software from OTA-2.1, aka Plain Jane or Ivanmmj "Offical 1.0")

eu1

A little tear came to my eye when I read this. Very nice work, indeed.

Upvote 0
I would've gotten the droid, but vanilla android is ugly as hell. Sense for me was the only thing that made android tolerable. I'll probably get the droid x and experiment a little with motoblur and whatever they got goin on under the hood, then another htc device will come out this fall and i'll jump back to htc. It's a neverending cycle. Sigh

Upvote 0
:eek: yep...stepped-out for a few hours after posting earlier this morning to visit my mom with my daugther in tow...mom's newfoundland (170lbs) ate my daughter's Env Touch...(really). Had to go to VZW and order a refurb (no insurance then...have insurance now! :D) and re-activated her old flip phone. My daughter is mortified that she'll have to live with her old flip phone for a few days until the refurb arrives... :( (apparently she texts a lot...).

Anyway, the folks at VZW, both at the store and on-line customer service (had issues re-activating her old phone) were extremely helpfulp and courteous. I also got to play with a Droid X while waiting in the VZW store--very nice :)

Then, I returned here and saw eu1's awesome post...gonna print it out and frame it! Thanks, eu1, very nicely said.

Upvote 0
I would've gotten the droid, but vanilla android is ugly as hell. Sense for me was the only thing that made android tolerable. I'll probably get the droid x and experiment a little with motoblur and whatever they got goin on under the hood, then another htc device will come out this fall and i'll jump back to htc. It's a neverending cycle. Sigh

If you haven't tried LauncherPro or ADW Launcher, give them a shot. They have a Sense "feel" without all of the Sense BS. The only thing lacking are the Sense widgets, which I've learned to do without. I think beautiful widgets offer similar widgets, but at a price.

Upvote 0
I think you need to lay off the caffeine. :p

Although the Eris doesn't have particularly great camera for low light situations (you have to hold it VERY still), it does a fairly respectable job for pictures outdoors or with bright lighting.

LOL... probably right. However. It was a sunny beautiful southern California day. I was standing at the top of the hill where I work taking a picture of a mountain... I could not get a clear clean shot for anything. Honestly I got way better pics out of my old EnV (green woot). That phone took killer photos indoor or out.

Upvote 0
gm991,

What I sticks out most (in my mind) is that you complain vociferously about your phone, and also refuse to root it. That is close to saying "I'd rather complain than do anything about it." Granted, if you think your phone isn't working in a "factory" state, there are reasons to complain - but if something is wrong with "factory", then the only option which is available to you is "non-factory" - and you are refusing to take steps in that direction.

It is incredibly difficult to have any objective information about what % of people have troubles with their phone, for a variety of reasons:

- on forums, the people who show up are either enthusiasts or people with problems; so the sampling isn't random; there's a whole group of people in the middle who neither experience any problems or are bothered enough by them to report them. The really diligent enthusiasts tend to not have any troubles because they (a) have a better understanding of the way their phone works, and (b) self-modify their behaviors in order to stay out of trouble.

- for smartphones in particular, because they are capable of a lot of behaviors, lack of familiarity or knowledge about the device often convinces the end user that "something is wrong" with the device, when in fact the user simply does not understand how the device works. (A classic example is a user who showed up here complaining how "horrible" it was that when he deleted his call logs completely, "a list of contacts showed up in the call log sorted in alphabetical order!" - heh, one man's feature is another's bug)

- for Android phones in particular, it is quite easy for the user to bugger their phone with a mish-mash of apps loaded from the marketplace, as Google filters essentially no apps Users coming from a closed phone / dumbphone experience often expect "the phone should just work flawlessly no matter what I do". That is clearly a misplaced expectation. Those folks should have chosen the (Fascist) iPhone app marketplace instead.

- Variation in user behavior. An example might be - I don't use the Exchange client functionality; for all I know, it is a hideous POS; but because I never use it, it can't be a problem for me. So even if every Eris user alive shared exactly one phone, every one of them would have a different opinion about the phone, according to their individual experience and predilictions.

- Its a fact of life (which has nothing to do with phones), that people love to complain. About everything. I don't know why; perhaps it gives them a sense of superiority or a sense of control.

Note that I am not saying any of these things about you, as I don't know you; but point out why subjective and non-random data can produce an appearance which is different from the "average" experience.

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones - my phone has worked "flawlessly" for me on 1.5, flawlessly on OTA 2.1, and quite well as a rooted phone (many of the ROMs have outright flaws). But as they say, "the harder I worked, the luckier I got".

I will say that there are two things that HTC/VZW should have changed right out of the box, and this would have changed a lot of people's impressions about the phone:

1) The Android process trimmer was configured to kick in too late. The phone does act like a complete dog when it sits at 25-30 Mb free memory. And all you have to do to get there is run the browser and a couple of apps, and presto - slow phone. Pretty much, if you don't take steps (such as using a task manager to keep an eye on things), the phone will run slowly

2) Haptic feedback should have been turned off by default. The difference in texting/text entry speed without haptic feedback is remarkeable.

Finally, a couple points about logic. The phones are designed to behave identically to one another from a hardware point of view. The software that gets loaded on them is initially bit-for-bit identical. That means that at the moment in time when a FR is performed, barring any hardware defect - all phones are identical.

So, you have to ask yourself - how is it that one person can report "my phone is flawless", and another reports "my phone is a POS" - when they start out life as identical units? Clearly it is impossible that "something is (fundamentally) wrong with 2.1" - otherwise, it would be impossible for any user to have a "flawless" experience.

The reason that both views are possible (in the absence of hardware problems) is due to variability in user behavior - apps, the way the phone is used most frequently, the breadth of use, the amount of data left hanging around in caches, etc, etc, etc. The only way to control those sorts of things so that all users have the same experience is to revert to a dumb/closed phone model of use.

If you haven't done it already, I would encourage you to FR your 2.1 phone and see if you have a different experience. (Actually, I think you should root your phone - it is a pleasure to use at 710 Mhz, even if you don't change the software from OTA-2.1, aka Plain Jane or Ivanmmj "Offical 1.0")

eu1

I see your point on alot of this and thanks for taking the time to write all that, but that being said , for the record I never complained about my phone on 1.5, and I have said a bunch of times that the Eris on 1.5 was a great phone and I had no problems with it, and was not one of those chomping at the bit for 2.1. This is my first smart phone and I was very happy with it before.
As far as trying to fix it, Have done a hard re-set twice,I have read a ton of stuff on differnet settings, which has helped, I use "system panel" app to manage my phone (great app by the way if you have not tried it) It has a ton of useful info and can kill tasks. Chomp sms has fixed the biggest problem I had.
As far as rooting a phone, I don't want or have the time to do stuff like that, its just not my thing. I just want it to do what its suppose to do is all. I understand that nothing is perfect and everything will have glitchs here and there. I'm just bummed the phone has taken a perfomance step back kind of with the 2.1 for me. I guess the biggest thing is only having 25-4-mb free memory most of the time, So I guess I will start using mu system panel more to manage/close apps to free up MB
thanks

Upvote 0
LOL... probably right. However. It was a sunny beautiful southern California day. I was standing at the top of the hill where I work taking a picture of a mountain... I could not get a clear clean shot for anything. Honestly I got way better pics out of my old EnV (green woot). That phone took killer photos indoor or out.
Download Camera 360... it has tons of features including Image Stabilization. Works great for clear shots! Unfortunately and unexpectedly the dev stripped the free version of many of the features. The paid one is somewhat pricey too... luckily I have the old version still...

Upvote 0
I see your point on alot of this and thanks for taking the time to write all that, but that being said , for the record I never complained about my phone on 1.5, and I have said a bunch of times that the Eris on 1.5 was a great phone and I had no problems with it, and was not one of those chomping at the bit for 2.1. This is my first smart phone and I was very happy with it before.
As far as trying to fix it, Have done a hard re-set twice,I have read a ton of stuff on differnet settings, which has helped, I use "system panel" app to manage my phone (great app by the way if you have not tried it) It has a ton of useful info and can kill tasks. Chomp sms has fixed the biggest problem I had.
As far as rooting a phone, I don't want or have the time to do stuff like that, its just not my thing. I just want it to do what its suppose to do is all. I understand that nothing is perfect and everything will have glitchs here and there. I'm just bummed the phone has taken a perfomance step back kind of with the 2.1 for me. I guess the biggest thing is only having 25-4-mb free memory most of the time, So I guess I will start using mu system panel more to manage/close apps to free up MB
thanks

If you never complained about your phone on 1.5, then downgrade it back to 1.5.

Upvote 0
im swapping to the incredible when i get the money. Droid X hits on my bday-the 15th, once it hits incredible prices will drop.
going to have to sell the eris- :( - but oh well. incredible will be nice. still has the same form factor of the eris which is why i prefer the incredible over the droid.

the droid x is just too damn expensive lol

Upvote 0
gm991,

eu1

anybody who has EVER had a problem with the Eris should read this post. Hell this should be the first post anyone who ever bought an eris should read period. I vote this gets moved to the Everything you need to know about your Eris thread as an amendment to the first post! Seriously man, epic postage! :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones