• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

So what REALLY makes web surfing fast...

stanlalee

Jul 20, 2010
Hardware or network or something else.

A few days ago working night shift I had a chance to play with a friends sprint EVO side by side with my Droid eris as she had never used her Bump app and wanted to try it out. both phones on andriod 2.1. Like most areas there is no 4g coverage in our area so both phones on 3g (we were at work with no wi-fi access. well its there but we cant access it).

So out of curiousity to see how much faster the evo would pull up websites (basically expecting to see how bad my eris sucked compared to one of the best andriod phones with superior hardware) to my suprise my eris pulled up 9 out of 10 sites a little FASTER to my disbelief! I repeated this at least 10 different times with 10 different sites including some with flash. Each time I killed all running apps and pushed the links at the exact same time with phones side by side. once or twice the EVO pulled up a site just as fast. what the heck is going on here?

In fact the whole general phone experience was IDENTICLE except for the obvious (bigger everything, kick stand-feature I wanted MOST as I sit mine on make shift stands all the time wishing for one, HDMI, flash if you use the camera which I didn't play with, front face camera, a few exclusive apps...all stuff besides the size/kick stand and perhaps the front face camera at some point I'd use infrequently to never. for example my canon SD780is pocket camera is half the size of the evo, shoots HD video, is worlds more capable and cant think of one reason carrying it and my small phone would be less ideal than carrying the large evo around. same with HDMI- anywhere I am able to pull out a phone to watch videos on a big screen is a place where I dont need to use a phone as a video player. thats why I bought a smart phone to use IT where I CANT watch a full size monitor).

Basically left me feeling an HTC phone on a particular andriod operating system is an HTC phone on an andriod operating system and all these reviews I've read about this one being excellent and that one being so so are extremely exaggerated in every day use. even functions operating a few milliseconds faster or webpages pulling up a few seconds faster wouldn't change that. even she commented "s*& so this is basically the same phone just smaller" so we both felt the experience wasn't much different.

My understanding is that there's a lot that goes into the final product of "internet speeds:"
1) The phone's software,
2) The network you are on. Not all 3g is created equal. That coupled with the amount of user congestion on each network,
3) The browser. Some are faster than others.

People who test browsers and phones, ideally, should be doing so in fairly controlled circumstances to get the most accurate true information.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones