• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root So what's the status on Backflip rooting/roms?

TheoJava

Lurker
Oct 20, 2010
I have some relatively general questions about rooting.

* I have the official 2.1 update installed and running on my Backflip. Can I still root my phone, or would I have to downgrade back to 1.5 to do that?

* If I rooted my phone, could I remove Motoblur && the bloatware, and be able to install apps from outside sources; without having to install a custom rom?

* Would it be worthwhile to install a rom on the Backflip anyway? Last time I looked into this, it seemed like the support for Backflip was a little lacking.

* How risky is rooting and installing a rom, on Backflip? If something went wrong, would I be able restore my phone to its original state?

* Last I read, it looked like there was only one custom rom that worked for Backflip. Are there any more now? If so, which would you recommend?

1) yes you can still root
2)yes, but not recomended unless you know what you are doing
3)yes, there are tons of good roms(tons means about 20, but still)
4)after you root, there is almost no risk if you know what you are doing, make a backup frequently and dont be stupid, like flash a rom for another country
5)there are about 20, i prefer GINtech Deblur rom, here is the link for all the roms, and everything else backflip: Motorola Backflip

Upvote 0
I have some relatively general questions about rooting.

* I have the official 2.1 update installed and running on my Backflip. Can I still root my phone, or would I have to downgrade back to 1.5 to do that?

Yes, use z4root, I used version 1.10

* If I rooted my phone, could I remove Motoblur && the bloatware, and be able to install apps from outside sources; without having to install a custom rom?

I suggest that you buy Titanium Backup and use the 'freeze' feature. You can enable outside sources without a custom ROM if you want to edit system files. I recommend Root Explorer if you decide to do that.

* Would it be worthwhile to install a rom on the Backflip anyway? Last time I looked into this, it seemed like the support for Backflip was a little lacking.

There are a lot of ROMs for the BF, I had jrodd's preclair rom on mine for a while and it worked well. You will see a lot of performance improvement by just rooting and removing or freezing the apps you don't use. Be careful with Blur apps, they are closely tied to system functions.

* How risky is rooting and installing a rom, on Backflip? If something went wrong, would I be able restore my phone to its original state?

Yes you can restore the phone to its original state. Do some reading and make sure you understand what you are doing.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones