So when the ICS update hits...General

1. Xphyle

Xphyle Well-Known Member

I have a question for those knowledgeable on such things. I rooted my Acer A500 a couple months back. Using latest Thor rom (non ICS). Put that on there by following a Youtube video.

When the new official ICS Rom hits, can I just download it and put it on my SD and install it via the recovery menu? I'm guessing I will lose root? Will it wipe the tablet and all my apps/files? How is this going to go down? Should I wait a few days later and install the official ROM minus the bloatware that will inevitably be released on xda? Thoughts?

Thanks,

X

Advertisement
  2. D-U-R-X

D-U-R-X turbo drinker Moderator

Hey Xphyle

It's not a good idea to try and get an OTA update over the top of a custom ROM. If I were you, I'd return the tablet to stock, so you can take the OTA.

If you want a rooted version of the stock ROM, they are usually released on XDA a couple of days after the official release (I am maintaining the Root Guide sticky and will try to get a link put on there when it is released).
    Xphyle likes this.
  3. Xphyle

Xphyle Well-Known Member

Thanks DURX. I'll check back here on the 27th or shortly thereafter. Please update when you can.

Best,

X
  4. D-U-R-X

D-U-R-X turbo drinker Moderator

No worries... as and when I see the rooted stock, I'll post a link :)