• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root So where are we at now?

ccsoccer03

Aug 23, 2010
So I realize that 2.2 has come of age. Stock alone is not comparable to the stock 2.1 in every area. My question is, how much further can we take 2.2 from where it is now? I know the development community took a brick and made a cheetah. I obviously know that OC'ing will be one option coming soon. But what else? I know that not being able to move apps that arent written to go on the sd card dont work well but it still was an advantage in my experience? What about turbo? Is there any use for a similar thing in froyo? Or is that fixed and better in the 2.2 build we have? I'm just so excited. I test stuff as soon as it hits the board. Right now I have Byron Bare flashed and I'm loving it. However, the idea that I can overclock it and flash to say... A new punisher/velocity with 2.2 added makes me drool. This post isnt directed at just the development community. I'm simply asking anyone who has more knowledge than me about the capabilities and possibilities 2.2 on other phones and of what has become a really decent phone IMO. Thank you for you replies in advance!

So I realize that 2.2 has come of age. Stock alone is not comparable to the stock 2.1 in every area. My question is, how much further can we take 2.2 from where it is now? I know the development community took a brick and made a cheetah. I obviously know that OC'ing will be one option coming soon. But what else? I know that not being able to move apps that arent written to go on the sd card dont work well but it still was an advantage in my experience? What about turbo? Is there any use for a similar thing in froyo? Or is that fixed and better in the 2.2 build we have? I'm just so excited. I test stuff as soon as it hits the board. Right now I have Byron Bare flashed and I'm loving it. However, the idea that I can overclock it and flash to say... A new punisher/velocity with 2.2 added makes me drool. This post isnt directed at just the development community. I'm simply asking anyone who has more knowledge than me about the capabilities and possibilities 2.2 on other phones and of what has become a really decent phone IMO. Thank you for you replies in advance!

One of the dev's (GNM/drell) has posted in another thread that velocity and a custom kernel are on the way. Obviously lg's software is, well to say the least, crap, so these two things will definitely open up the "possibilities" more. As for the turbo thing, I'm not a dev, so please correct me if im wrong, but the 2.1 turbo jit compiler was backported from the compiler in 2.2. The compiler in 2.2 stock is much faster then 2.1 is or was.

I personally don't get all the hate on froyo since it's "official" release. I thought that stock 2.2 ran much better then eclair 2.1 did. Just my 2 cents though-to each's own as games and apps i run work fine on 2.2. A froyo velocity and custom kernel from our wonderful devs will only make it that much better though!!!

You do need to remember that the lg ally is considered a low-end android phone, so you can't expect too much, however i think you will be pleased once lg's crap software is gone and replaced by our dev's much more optimized and efficient ones.

I dug up GNM's post about the upcoming work's
I have partnered with Trident for velocity and it will be released soon in velocity. That kernel hits nearly 1400 in quadrant. Kernel also will feature usb gadget drivers instead of lg's usb function drivers and have support for ap wifi tether mode and wired tether (I had to build custom versions of wired and wireless-tether also). Sit tight its worth the wait.

Reactions: ccsoccer03
Upvote 0
I know that not being able to move apps that arent written to go on the sd card dont work well but it still was an advantage in my experience?

If you're rooted with 2.2.1, you can move MOST downloaded apps over to the SD card using the "move2sd enabler" app. (You have to set it to enable ALL apps). If you also download "Apps 2 SD Free" (which is move2sd aware), it can notify you as you download apps which ones can be moved. But sometimes it's a little TOO optimistic, telling you that widgets and other apps that use the notification bar can be moved. (They can, but they won't work right).

As a rule, as long as you don't try to put widgets (such as Pure Calendar Widget) or real-time notification apps (such as Weather Channel or Remember the Milk) on the SD card, the advice from "Apps 2 SD Free" should be good to follow.

Reactions: ccsoccer03
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones