So which way should or did you go for google voice?General

Last Updated:

1. Thedarksunlight

Thedarksunlight Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So I got a invite using my edu email account. Basically now I have to decide if I want to use google voice with my current phone number everyone knows or make a whole new one which gives you extra features like free sms.

Which way did you guys go, and also lets say I choose to keep it with my current number, could you in the future decide to make a google number or are you stuck with that decision you made when signing up?

Advertisement
  2. hrbib21

hrbib21 Well-Known Member

I have unlimited text so I just use my own number. I use GV solely because of the VM texts/emails.

3. digitaljeannie

digitaljeannie Well-Known Member

I have a google voice number and I use that instead of my actual cell number.
    I also have the app set up to route all calls through google voice.

4. ithejdi

ithejdi Well-Known Member

+1 Me too

5. T-Keith

T-Keith Well-Known Member

I basically just use it for the voicemail. It's nice to just read a message or click and listen instead of calling in and clicking 5 buttons. If they could do mms I might switch numbers.

6. McFluffnStuff

McFluffnStuff Active Member

I chose to get a Google Voice number. The way i saw it, the positives outweighed the negatives. The only downside was telling people my new number (which wasnt that much of a hassle) and that i dont get mms anymore. But i just tell people to send it to me in an email if they have to.

7. copestag

copestag Well-Known Member

IMO theres really no point in not getting the number....... you dont have to use the number...... every other function works the same with or without the number....

in other words..... I have a number...... but dont use it.......... I do get to use all the exact same features as those without the number....... and if I choose to use the number it wont effect any of those features...... it will just allow me to give out a different number...... never know when I might need to go rogue LOL

8. Shnuddy

Shnuddy Well-Known Member

Same here, although the transcription leaves a lot to be desired. It's just very easy, you can pick and choose which messages you want to listen to.

9. mimmic

mimmic Well-Known Member

I've disabled txt msgs on my verizon account so i don't have to pay for them and use GV for that. Most people calling me just use my google voice number as it's the one most of them have. Plus you can add the google number to your friends and family and never worry about minutes.