1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

So who has a devious mind?

Last Updated:

1. Cardinal

Cardinal New Member This Topic's Starter

Ok guys I need some ideas for stolen phone related fun.

My old phone had trackdriod and sim checker installed. Two great apps for this situation.

My phone was pick pocketed when I was in the philippines over xmas. Attempts to call it and turn on tracking while I was there didn't work so I assume it was turned off. I went back to aus, got a new phone and moved on with my life.

Today my old phone has woken back up and is emailing me updates. It's been on a bit of a journey too. It's now living in Cambodia. I have a constant stream of gps updates that pinpoint the house it is residing in. I have it's new phone number too. The question is, what do I do with this information?

Going over there is out, no cash/time and Cambodians are notoriously stab happy. Out of spite I have told it to text an international number every minute to rack up an impressive bill for the thief/purchaser of stolen goods. While better than nothing this is rather unsatisfying.

So who has some good ideas on ways I can have fun with this?

Advertisement
  2. jpsykes

jpsykes Member

loving your response

3. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery VIP Member

you can have it do alarm wake up calls at random time at night...and disable the shutdown function XD

4. flu13

flu13 Well-Known Member

Post the phone number all over the internet, sign up for free deals with it, anything that will get telemarketers calling it.

5. Swizz

Swizz Well-Known Member

Is the Khmer Rouge still around? Send an email stating their distaste for Pol Pot. 30 years ago that would have resulted in at least a burned hut.

6. Cardinal

Cardinal New Member This Topic's Starter

Does anyone know the phone number of any Cambodians with anger management issues? I figure if I change the sms alerts to their number their rage should build to quite a level before they realise the person pestering them is transmitting the co-ordinates of where to find them.

7. delta71

delta71 Member

I like the spam idea. What about a Cambodian chat room to find a local ally.

8. NewYorkLaw

NewYorkLaw Well-Known Member

How about having it make frequent calls to 911. I assume the Cambodian police would eventually track it and show up.
    Pete

9. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande? VIP Member

Gotta find out what number they use there. I think Europe is 999, not sure about Cambodia. But +1 to your idea :)

10. 28064212

28064212 Well-Known Member

One thing to take into account: you may be harassing someone who's totally innocent. Given how long it took before it was switched back on, it's more than likely that it was sold on, with the possibility that the person receiving it has no idea of its source. So I wouldn't be doing anything that could potentially ruin their life

11. RedMist

RedMist Well-Known Member

You might stop them buying a stolen phone in future though..

12. 28064212

28064212 Well-Known Member

That's assuming they know it's stolen. It's Cambodia, in many places the black market is the only market

13. mrqs

mrqs Well-Known Member

and how would you know anything you buy from ebay and the likes aren't stolen goods?

i'd rather have the phone inform its current user that they've bought a stolen phone and should let the authorities know who they bought it from

14. n1tro

n1tro Active Member

How would that change anything? You buy a phone. You later find out it's stolen. Who here is going to find the originally owner and return it?? I think what most people would do is try to get their money back from the dude who sold it (if on ebay) or just do a data wipe and use the phone. I agree with the previous poster. The person who has it in Cambodia has nothing to do with the phone being stolen other than buying (knowingly or unknowingly). For the poster who originally lost the phone, I feel for your loss but it sounds like it didn't financially ruin you to get another phone so let it be. Karma is a way of sorting out the people who deserve what they deserve. If you really want closure, then txt and call the user using your stolen phone and see what they say. :D

15. NewYorkLaw

NewYorkLaw Well-Known Member

I agree, we have no way of knowing whether the ultimate Cambodian user had any knowledge of, or participated in the theft, but why do you want to give the holder of stolen goods the benefit of the doubt? If he's innocent, he'll sort it out. If not, he'll have gotten what he deserves.
    Pete

16. IMMensaMind

IMMensaMind Member

[​IMG]

17. mrqs

mrqs Well-Known Member

guilty until proven innocent, eh?

karma is a naive load of bs; it's not a fair world we live in

18. JrzDroid

JrzDroid Well-Known Member

Post the number here so forum members can cause mayhem

19. inssane

inssane Well-Known Member

I have https://www.mobiledefense.com/
    and you can send an alert to the phone, it literally is one of those annoying car alarm sirens and by default it is LOUD!!
    Handed my friend the phone and tested it from my notebook, I am lucky he didn't drop it!
    Nick

20. raviandsonia

raviandsonia Member

Just move on dude. You'll go through all the hassles and the guy will just get another phone number. Save your time for more useful endeavors such as revenge on the GOP for blowing Health care for all.

21. IMMensaMind

IMMensaMind Member

We don't really need your political opinions. Kthxbai. :rolleyes:

22. Crude

Crude Well-Known Member

Fail

23. Arthur Hucksake

Arthur Hucksake Well-Known Member

Sitcky the thread and each month someone should get a prize for the most spiteful act they can think of.

This is awesome, let us know what devious acts you manage to pull off.

Who cares if they have no idea it's stolen, tough luck.

Send in Rambo!

24. Aurelius

Aurelius Member

I would leave it. Seems a bit malicious to try and get someone into trouble - for all you know, the current owner could be a child.

25. tiredhiker

tiredhiker Well-Known Member

I will be in Cambodia next week as my Vietnam Visa runs out and its cheaper to get a 3 month biz visa there. Not to mention the nightlife...
    I agree that the person who bought it does not know its stolen. Too far away from the PI BUT I would call him and tell him its a stolen phone. Its a business and a very illigal one when they are transporting to another country. The shop he bought it from might be part of this chain.