• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

So who has a devious mind?

Cardinal

Lurker
Feb 1, 2010
Ok guys I need some ideas for stolen phone related fun.

My old phone had trackdriod and sim checker installed. Two great apps for this situation.

My phone was pick pocketed when I was in the philippines over xmas. Attempts to call it and turn on tracking while I was there didn't work so I assume it was turned off. I went back to aus, got a new phone and moved on with my life.

Today my old phone has woken back up and is emailing me updates. It's been on a bit of a journey too. It's now living in Cambodia. I have a constant stream of gps updates that pinpoint the house it is residing in. I have it's new phone number too. The question is, what do I do with this information?

Going over there is out, no cash/time and Cambodians are notoriously stab happy. Out of spite I have told it to text an international number every minute to rack up an impressive bill for the thief/purchaser of stolen goods. While better than nothing this is rather unsatisfying.

So who has some good ideas on ways I can have fun with this?

One thing to take into account: you may be harassing someone who's totally innocent. Given how long it took before it was switched back on, it's more than likely that it was sold on, with the possibility that the person receiving it has no idea of its source. So I wouldn't be doing anything that could potentially ruin their life

Upvote 0
One thing to take into account: you may be harassing someone who's totally innocent. Given how long it took before it was switched back on, it's more than likely that it was sold on, with the possibility that the person receiving it has no idea of its source. So I wouldn't be doing anything that could potentially ruin their life

You might stop them buying a stolen phone in future though..

Upvote 0
How would that change anything? You buy a phone. You later find out it's stolen. Who here is going to find the originally owner and return it?? I think what most people would do is try to get their money back from the dude who sold it (if on ebay) or just do a data wipe and use the phone. I agree with the previous poster. The person who has it in Cambodia has nothing to do with the phone being stolen other than buying (knowingly or unknowingly). For the poster who originally lost the phone, I feel for your loss but it sounds like it didn't financially ruin you to get another phone so let it be. Karma is a way of sorting out the people who deserve what they deserve. If you really want closure, then txt and call the user using your stolen phone and see what they say. :D

and how would you know anything you buy from ebay and the likes aren't stolen goods?

i'd rather have the phone inform its current user that they've bought a stolen phone and should let the authorities know who they bought it from

Upvote 0
I agree, we have no way of knowing whether the ultimate Cambodian user had any knowledge of, or participated in the theft, but why do you want to give the holder of stolen goods the benefit of the doubt? If he's innocent, he'll sort it out. If not, he'll have gotten what he deserves.
Pete

How would that change anything? You buy a phone. You later find out it's stolen. Who here is going to find the originally owner and return it?? I think what most people would do is try to get their money back from the dude who sold it (if on ebay) or just do a data wipe and use the phone. I agree with the previous poster. The person who has it in Cambodia has nothing to do with the phone being stolen other than buying (knowingly or unknowingly). For the poster who originally lost the phone, I feel for your loss but it sounds like it didn't financially ruin you to get another phone so let it be. Karma is a way of sorting out the people who deserve what they deserve. If you really want closure, then txt and call the user using your stolen phone and see what they say. :D

Upvote 0
Is the Khmer Rouge still around? Send an email stating their distaste for Pol Pot. 30 years ago that would have resulted in at least a burned hut.

lmao.gif

Upvote 0
I will be in Cambodia next week as my Vietnam Visa runs out and its cheaper to get a 3 month biz visa there. Not to mention the nightlife...
I agree that the person who bought it does not know its stolen. Too far away from the PI BUT I would call him and tell him its a stolen phone. Its a business and a very illigal one when they are transporting to another country. The shop he bought it from might be part of this chain.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones