So why should i root my droid maxx??

1. Groovey252

Groovey252 Member

Just got my Droid MAXX, I upgraded from a Droid X that I was bored with. I have been reading and watching videos about rooting my phone. I'm sure I can do it but here are some things I do not understand:

1. If I root my phone, does that mean I just unlocked it so I can change Admin settings?

2. When I root my phone, does it still keep the same stock OS (Look the same) as before I root? I want ICS but is it worth the trouble to root now an get some leaked version or do not root and wait for the update?

3. Can I still dl all the same apps from Google Play as before?

4. ROMS - are these just custom apps for a rooted phone or are the custom app settings? Not quite sure.

Basically, I want the most out of my phone, ICS, Tethering, access to new apps. But I can't do it if I don't know fully what I'm getting myself into. Pretty good with computers, not a programmer or anything. I just don't want to brick my phone. Give me some insight! :confused::) Thanks

Advertisement
    :
  2. saywhatt

saywhatt Well-Known Member

welcome to android forums! :D

1. rooting gives a privilege to do some tweaks on whatever you want your phone to perform or look and stuffs like that
    2. yep, it'll still look like your stock OS, unless of course you install some theme with your rooted phone (if ever you'll root it)
    3. yes you can still download ANYTHING :p
    4. custom roms are for rooted phones :)

hit thanks if this helped you out bro :D
    supervee and Nick1850 like this.
  3. srq2625

srq2625 Well-Known Member

Just my take on the matter - YMMV

1. No, not just tinkering with Admin settings. For me, one of the biggest advantages to rooting is I now have the ability to take advantage of apps like Titanium Backup Pro to freeze apps I don't like that are delivered with the phone. These are apps that Verizon or Motorola decided I needed, that run all the time, that consume memory and battery resources, and that one can non delete without being rooted. BTW - Freezing an app keeps it from being started, it's still there, you can un-freeze it at any time.

2. Yes. I'm running stock ROM, just rooted with a lot of crap frozen.

3. Yes - you can download and install anything you like. That's a two edged sword, so one should exercise due diligence.

4. Custom ROMs - Replacing your stock ROM with a custom ROM is kinda
    like taking your MS Windows PC and replacing Windows with Linux. You get the same or similar functionality, usually runs a bit differently, usually runs smaller, faster, better, and usually has features not available with the stock ROM. But, like every other choice on makes, there can be down-sides. Again, since one is in complete control, one must do their due diligence.
    Nick1850 likes this.
  4. JokaLo

JokaLo Well-Known Member

Rooting brings the creative side out more, another thing I don't think has been said, is with root your able to overclock, which increases the speed of your device (read up on it) if OC'd too high to will get reboots and problems, and leaving your phone in a car oc'd has fried a few device's I know of. "No frills CPU" is the best app for this, is had a safety precaution built in, if your phone had a problem and shut off, it wont apply the overclock upon next boot up. Good luck, and I say its indeed worth it.
  5. Ssith

Ssith Well-Known Member

why root?

Ads, or rather, the elimination of ads. there needs to be no further reason.
  6. Its Bubba

Its Bubba New Member

Hello everyone...Coming over from the Droid X Forum...getting my Maxx this Friday
    Not to familar with this forum or moving around but I haven't found a Clean process on how to Root my Razr Maxx...

Can someone Link me up with the specific process...

Thanks

Its Bubba:eek:
  7. ShanDroyd

ShanDroyd Well-Known Member

:confused:so how do most of you feel about rooting with the following conditions::confused:

-RAZR-MAXX running ICS fully stock
    -switched to the everything shared plans form VZW ( now have free VZW hotspot included)
    -I like most of the stock ICS layout, so do not see a need for a custom ROM
    -I foresee an OTA update for ICS in the near future based on all the bugs I have seen reported in the forums

;)the only real use of root that I currently see for myself would be to remove bloatware.:rolleyes:
  8. digdug1

digdug1 Well-Known Member

Most bloatware can be disabled in ics. Im rooted but am running stock. 211. Ive tried a few roms but i prefer this. I rooted so i can run the new leaks sooner than they are released ota.
  9. sherri

sherri Well-Known Member

I rooted (still stock) to freeze apps, remove apps I will NEVER use (NFL football???), remove ads, and backup apps/data.

On my old phone, I used a custom ROM because it added features (blinking led with screen ON....my personal pet peeve...), but I haven't found a ROM that does this on ICS.
  10. Ssith

Ssith Well-Known Member

1) i run stock as well, works fine
    2) plan's got little to do with rooting, other than rooting allowing a broader spectrum of apps that have potential to use data when you're not looking
    3) see 1 - stock w/ root works fine. i use it mainly for the ability to ad-block
    4) there's an app called OTA Rootkeeper, that will temp unroot you to install OTAs, though i'd suggest getting titanium backup to backup your stuff just in case, and freeze unwanted apps.