• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Social website called Ello

Agree, Kids run from parents. I'm not a big Mark Zuckerberg fan. Every time you turn around Facebook/Mark changes the settings or adds a new setting and the defaults are not set to private or friends, it's always set to public. Now Facebook has auto play on short videos or GIF's and it eats up data. Just wait, there will soon be full adds playing in your feeds with no way to opt out. I understand that's how they make money, but doesn't he have enough money already. I don't need adds tailored to me by Facebook reading my cookie data and history. So I'm hoping newer social media sites will be less intrusive or not at all even if I have to have a small payment of some kind to prevent them. I like the idea of someone running a site and actually care about what people want and don't just cram it down your throat. I know I don't have to be a member on Facebook, no one is forcing me, but if enough people have enough of what they dislike and move on, then maybe we will be looking at the next MySpace. Besides, people need options and competition keeps people honest and we all benefit. So if anyone is on Ello and can send out an invitation, Please, I’d like to have one. Thanks

Upvote 0
I joined a few groups before the "real name" nonsense. I'm not changing it now.
I joined as a lot of small companies started doing help fora on Twitter and FB.
I've kept the memberships, just in case, but have everything marked private. TForce by TMobile uses Twitter and Facebook.

I feel the same about Fora. No real names or info needed. If you spam or break rules, you get kicked off.

I belong to a lot of fora of all kinds - from security to quilting. Most fora are more help type questions and give and take. Like this forum, they have a section to brag in.

Look at the social sites, and all seems to be jumbled together.

Upvote 0
Wait, how does FB enforce the 'real name' requirement?

It deletes your account should they believe it's not real. Has happened to plenty of people already. Many who use alternative names (like drag queens, but also those in the media/government who need an alias for obvious undercover reasons). It's been a PR mess.
Left FB a few years ago. Can't say I miss it.
I signed up for an invite to Ello a couple weeks ago and still haven't heard back. Not terribly interested in being active, just wanted to see what it's about.

Upvote 0
I am already quite active on Google+ and Facebook. I see no need to join another site that I'm told, "sucks less than Facebook."
I think people will soon start moving to Google Plus. I heard somewhere that Facebook will now start charging like $3 for the use of the application to be a member of Facebook. If that's true, then people will refuse to pay for that and move to the free Google Plus.

Facebook is a profit business now, not a social network. Google Plus, we'll you are the poduct, and they use your information to make a business.

Upvote 0
I don't want to be a product, that's the problem. I had/have a plus account and any messages are banned and marked as spam by IMAP. As long as FB can make a buck by thinking it's selling, I doubt they'll charge.

I simply don't fit my demographic, so sending me any advertising that I should be interested in (by demographic) I ain't. It's another form of stereotyping.

There's still plenty of stereotyping around, too. I still get asked why I have the 4WD pickup truck and the Vulcan has the Infiniti. I also get asked why I'm dealing with the phones instead of the Vulcan.

Upvote 0
I heard somewhere that Facebook will now start charging like $3 for the use of the application to be a member of Facebook. If that's true, then people will refuse to pay for that and move to the free Google Plus.
Last time I saw the FB login page it still announced the it was free and always will be.

Of course that is, as Zuben says, because you are the product. But remember that is true with Google too.

Upvote 0
I think people will soon start moving to Google Plus. I heard somewhere that Facebook will now start charging like $3 for the use of the application to be a member of Facebook. If that's true, then people will refuse to pay for that and move to the free Google Plus.

Facebook is a profit business now, not a social network. Google Plus, we'll you are the poduct, and they use your information to make a business.

I think you fell for the same hoax that goes around every year or two :p

Facebook isn't charging anything. They make a LOT of money off of advertising. They would be foolish to rock that boat.

I don't CARE that I'm the product. I don't put any information into the internet that I'm not OK with being used by 3rd parties. I accept and understand that advertising is a legitimate business and that companies that provide a service deserve to make money for that service. But people will turn this into a people vs. evil corporation deal.

Upvote 0
It's stereotyping. I don't mind ads if they are pertinent, but if you look at the choices of catagories, anything I want doesn't exist. Fashion doesn't interest me, unless it's finding patterns and fabric for what I want (never advertised). I don't buy ready made for a lot of items. Except for stuff being easy to clean, I don't care about style. That leaves out half of the sales ads right there.

The other is dealer exclusives. If you want a camera, you might see ads from various companies that sell cameras. But all of said companies use the same ad whether it be put out by Canon, Nikon, Pentax. The ads never give total specs, either. They won't give price (fair trade) but specs? Those ads are useless. You have to hunt on the net to find the specs.

Hobbies aren't broken up. That's where the biggest demographic info is way off. Men are taking up quilting and machine embroidery. It may sound funny, but both are computerized. Programming X,Y coordinates appeals to some. (I can digitize) If you program, you have to test. A lot of women and other men think these guys are weird. Therefore, most ads and magazines are geared to women. If the men don't care for this, I don't blame them. I'm not interested in kirke, kinde, kuche, either.

You can blame telephone and mall surveys. We ignore them. I've had some get outraged since I didn't give what they considered the "right" answers. The spammers are getting too pesty and a lot say they are a survey when they are selling. You see references to why people aren't being loyal to a certain product. Never the reason that maybe current product is buggy and so bad no one wants it.

Scraping likes from most social sites would probably be more accurate. Even getting info from current inventories of merchants would be more pertinent. The merchants usually know where their clientele is coming from.

There's been too much of this, and demands for more, more more. How about some way to make things more pertinent? And use quality not quantity.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones