Soft key light disable?

Last Updated:

1. bravozero

bravozero Member This Topic's Starter

I apologize if this has already been brought up...

I understand having the soft keys on the DROID is nice and everything, but a lot of times I'd like to have them not illuminate at all. Is there an app or something that can disable the soft key illumination?

Advertisement
  2. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

Nope. No app for it. :( In fact, I'll go as far to say that it's not possible. The dev for the app "Bedside" is working with Google to rectify this issue.

3. BLSCHMITZ

BLSCHMITZ Member

Hahaha, I get very excited every time I see a new thread on this. I've searched and read them all, because this is probably my biggest (and only really) gripe. I am a very light sleeper and these things shine in my face like Hollywood spotlights at night. I can't wait for when I open one of these up and there's a period instead a question mark, lol.

4. messenger13

Perhaps y'all wouldn't mind taking a moment to add to this thread. Just login using your Gmail account. If enough people would complain, it would get fixed a lot sooner.

5. BLSCHMITZ

BLSCHMITZ Member

6. messenger13

There is a solution for rooted phones. Checkout this thread.

That dev rules! Do him a favor and buy his Bedside app. :)

7. raphytaffy

raphytaffy Well-Known Member

Wait, I'm a bit confused.. are you talking about the LED notifications or the keyboard illumination? If it's the keyboard, I've been having issues with mine NOT lighting up. This makes texting in the dark kind of crappy, so I guess I'm wondering the opposite of what you're asking. How do I keep the soft key lights on?

8. messenger13

Tapping the camera button quickly turns the LEDs back on. If that isn't good enough for you, there are several widgets that will keep the screen on and the LEDs as well. The one is like is called "ScreenModeWidget".

This thread is regarding the LEDs that stay on ALL night while the DROID is docked in the multimedia dock. Not conducive to the DROID also acting like your alarm clock radio when it's lighting up the entire room all night. :( Fortunately for us rooted folks, a dev has found a cure until Google fixes the issue.

9. raphytaffy

raphytaffy Well-Known Member

Nifty little trick! Sorry didn't mean to thread jack anyone.

10. aneki

aneki Active Member

So, long time reader here. Finally decided to join the fun. I actually booted my Droid up this morning to find my soft key and keyboard lights disabled. Admittedly, I have installed a few apps from my compy, bypassing the app store.. any ideas? Not really upset
    As I'm assuming this may save me an iota of battery, just like to know if I screwed something up.

PS. Tried tapping camera button, no dice.

11. aneki

aneki Active Member

And now they are on. Put phone in standby, tapped camera, lights on. Does not however turn them back off.. I'm just never satisfied.

12. messenger13

No, what you are experiencing is a bug in 2.0.1. When you first boot, the LEDs are disabled until you use the brightness control or the phone goes in standby one time. Perhaps even pulling out the keyboard will make them work again.

Don't worry. You know how to deal with it for now. And the 2.1 update is just days away. ;)

13. sing1gnis

sing1gnis Member

messenger13

Have you tried the new version of LEDs Hack on v4 of Pete's Bugless Beauty ROM? I upgraded to the new version of LEDs Hack and now it doesn't seem to work when plugged into the dock. Just curious if you're having the same issue.

14. messenger13

I have both the new version of LEDs Hack (available on the Market), and the .4 ROM. Both worked WONDERFULLY last night, without fail.

The app is pretty straight forward, so I doubt there's anything you can be doing wrong. :confused:

Are you rooted? And did you have to give the app root permissions?

15. sing1gnis

sing1gnis Member

That's weird. I'm going to wipe and restore and see what happens. Thanks.

16. sing1gnis

sing1gnis Member

I'm at a loss. I've tried two different ROMs and nothing works with the new version. I'm rooted and have permissions set. What could I be doing wrong to mess this up? It's so simple. Anyone have any suggestions?

17. Superfoot

Superfoot New Member

I think the place that the keys bother me the most is when I am watching a movie that I have copied to the phone. I usually watch at night in bed till I'm reading to go to sleep. The soft keys get really annoying after a while. I think they should fade out while video is playing and come back if you touch the screen, that would be sweet.