1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Soft keyboards on par with Sense UI

Last Updated:

1. Quboid

Quboid Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I presently have an HTC Hero (EU unlocked on Vodafone UK, running stock 1.5) and I'm thinking about upgrading in the nearish future. I'll definitely get another Android device, but I think I would miss the Hero's keyboard - it really is excellent and the default one, well, isn't (admittedly I have fairly little experience with it).

Are there other software keyboards available that compare to the Sense UI keyboard? I love things like it auto-correcting typos, changing cant to can't or Icll to I'll and multitouch for fast typing. I'd rather not be stuck to HTC when upgrading (although there's worse!).

Advertisement
  2. peadar

peadar Well-Known Member

I love the sense keyboard too and have put it onto my nexus one following these instructions from xda-developers.

Another friend of mine has done the same thing on his Acer Liquid 1. So, it shouldn't be any problem to use it whatever android phone you pick up next :)

3. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

Whats wrong with being stuck to HTC?!? The Desire is an awesome phone!

Anyway you can pretty much buy any android phone and run a Sense ROM on it, so don't worry too much about which android to get :p

4. Quboid

Quboid Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Don't these ROMs have problems with things like Bluetooth? I certainly don't want to void my warranty anyway.

As for being stuck with HTC ... yeah it's not too bad and it is the Desire I am probably going to get. Still, if I stick with the Hero (hardly a bad phone!) and upgrade in 6 months instead, maybe there will be something awesome arriving then like the Evo. Oh wait, that's HTC too. Damn those guys are on form :D

5. peadar

peadar Well-Known Member

1) There were problems with earlier iterations of this keyboard, so I uninstalled it for a while. More recent editions are bug-free and work extremely well.

2) You do not need to root in order to follow this procedure -- it is *not* a ROM. Therefore, you will not void your warranty by doing so.

6. ericDylan

ericDylan Well-Known Member

Even if it were a rom, (i have the leaked 2.1 rom on my eris btw) I think it really depends on the sales rep you're talking to as to weather it's a problem or not.