[Softkeys MOD] Galaxy Nexus (ICS Blue Softkeys) For Jelly Bean (4.4.1)

1. kevin95

kevin95 Well-Known Member

*First Softkey Mod Post*

Just thought I'd share my custom softkeys with everyone :)

FOR ROOTED PHONES ONLY

INTENDED FOR JELLYBEAN USERS
    (It might work on ICS but but I can't guarantee that it will)

TESTED ON YAKJU JELLYBEAN 4.1.1

How to install:

1. Open up root explorer.

2. Scroll down to system, then app.

3. Change from Mount R/W to Mount R/O

4. Search for SystemUI.apk

5. Copy it somewhere

6. Rename the copied SystemUI.apk as SystemUI.apk.backup

7. Move it to system/app

8. Download my SystemUI.apk from the link below. If you're on a PC, move it to the Download folder or any folder you like. If you downloaded it from your phone, open up root explorer, scroll down to sdcard or storage/sdcard0 and go on the Download folder.

9. Move it to system/app and overwrite it.

10. *IMPORTANT* Change the Permissions to rw-r--r-- (Owner - Read/Write, Group - Read, Others - Read). Press okay, then restart your device.

Download Link: SystemUI.apk

How to restore original softkeys:

Delete the SystemUI.apk from system/app and rename SystemUI.apk.backup back to SystemUI.apk. Make sure the permissions are set as rw-r--r--, then restart your device.

Here's how the custom softkeys look like:

[​IMG]

ENJOY!

Advertisement
    :
    scary alien likes this.
  2. VoidedSaint

VoidedSaint Resident Ninja VIP Member

moved to All Things Root, OP is there a way you can repost this in each individual ATR forums?
  3. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary Moderator

I can do that for you, Kevin, or you can simply create a new thread and copy / paste the first post's contents to the new destinations.

I did want to ask if there might be an issue with knowing you're replacing the same version of the SystemUI.apk with your modded one. Ii.e., I'd be afraid that there would be folks with various versions of Android whose SystemUI.apk didn't match the version of the one you published (not sure which version of Android this is for...).

I guess you could pull the SystemUI.apk files from each of the published factory images and compare them and/or create a modded version for each, but that's of course, up to you :).

Cheers!
    VoidedSaint likes this.
  4. kevin95

kevin95 Well-Known Member

I'm currently running Yakju JellyBean 4.1.1, Build JRO03C. Should I add that to my post?
  5. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary Moderator

Yeah, I think so...unless you know that your modded SystemUI.apk will work for other devices, you might want to indicate that's what is was created for and tested on. Otherwise, you might get folks (like us VZW customers trying to install a JB system .apk file on an ICS ROM--I can't imagine that would work ;) :)).

Cheers and thanks for your contribution! :)

edit: actually, I see that your thread title reflects the version information (which is really good that you put that in there! :) -- but it wouldn't hurt to re-iterate it in your post, too). Kudos!