"Software conflict" GN isn't very well.Support

1. shepst0rm

shepst0rm Member

Hi all.

My GN is going through a rough patch and I can't nail down why.

Basicly, to keep this brief, the rear/media speaker is buzzing, crackling, static(ish) when any sound is played through it. It sounds a little like electrical interference, most of the time a bzz and a crackle.

I also noticed last night whilst watching a youtube video, that video playback freezed during a noticeable buzz from the speaker. Additionally, scrolling through the phone/browser seemed less responsive, slow and pausing for half a second on occasion. I'm unclear as to whether this is me looking for problems or an actual one, but I'm throwing it out there.

I figure the phone is beginning to die on me but I really can't tell if this is a hardware fault or software.

I contacted Samsung all I got was what seems to be a default reply;

What is the easiest way of solving this?
    I've tried a factory reset before through the phone menu's and also reset through boot.

Apparently I need to 'reflash' the software or software reset.

Running 4.1.1.

I don't mess with kernals.

Installed Volume+ after sound issues to see if I can improve sound thru EQ, but have not increased volume.

Any help would be awesome.

Thanks.

Advertisement
    :
  2. AntimonyER

AntimonyER AF Addict VIP Member

Welcome to AF, shepst0rm!

I believe they are talking about a factory reset. You can do this by going to settings, backup & reset, and then choosing the factory data reset option. Be aware this will wipe everything on the phone, so back-up your pictures, files etc. prior to doing this.
    shepst0rm likes this.
  3. sik00

sik00 Well-Known Member

Is your Nexus the GSM or CDMA version? I ask because I see you're on 4.1.1 and was wondering if the ROM was official or from a dev. If its a custom ROM, I'm wondering if maybe the dev has the volume turned up higher than normal. The ROM I use has this, and my speaker will start to sound "tinny". Turning the volume down one notch below max fixes it.
  4. shepst0rm

shepst0rm Member

Thanks Anti :) Usually the first place I come to lurk for the latest Android news.

I've done that already to no avail. I feeling I get is they want me to go to a support center so they can wipe the phone and reinstall/flash Android, or something along those lines.

Problem is, I don't drive and the nearest center is 30 or 40 miles away on the outskirts of London, not exactly local or convenient.

I figure, if it truly is a software conflict, the best thing to do would be do as said, reinstall android JB or something along those lines.

Ski00 - GSM mate, received OTA, 100% official. I don't tamper with custom ROM's etc.

I'm still not convinced whether this is a software fault or hardware, Video playback is somewhat sketchy during a prolonged buzz from the speaker on some youtube video's, and the phone has moments where it is sluggish.

In other news; I just ordered a Nexus 7, BOOM.
  5. AntimonyER

AntimonyER AF Addict VIP Member

Congrats on the N7, I want one too, but already have an A500, and pretty happy with it, and my wife won't let me have two.

If you have done a factory reset, and still doing the same thing, at this point I think it is time to cash in on the warranty. I don't see how it could still be a software issue after that.
  6. Tim K

Tim K Well-Known Member Contributor

Doesn't sound like hardware if you are getting screen freezes at the same time as the buzzing. It does sound like a 'software' or OS problem.

I'm going to assume you already tried a battery pull and reboot and that didn't help?

I would recommend you back everything up and do the hard reset.
    shepst0rm likes this.
  7. shepst0rm

shepst0rm Member

Thing is I've done a reset via menu and also done one via boot, none of which helped. I'll reset through boot again on the off chance I did it incorrectly.

The only thing I haven't tried is rolling back to ICS and upgrading OTA to Jellybean again, or simply reinstalling jellybean (flashing is the term?). I've yet to find a guide or tutorial that explains how to do this in laymen's terms.

If I could wipe everything off the phone and install JB again, that would be a good endgame to whether this is software or hardware and be able to cash in on the warrenty.
  8. shepst0rm

shepst0rm Member

If I do a hard reset, it should put the phone back to how I first recieved it correct? So the phone will need to update itself back to jellybean?
  9. jova33

jova33 Well-Known Member

No, jelly bean should stay. It just erases all your apps and data.
    shepst0rm likes this.
  10. shepst0rm

shepst0rm Member

If that is the case, then I think rolling back somehow and upgrading again might be best, if possible.

Any ideas?

11. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female Guide

If you've already done a factory reset, then any corrupt files would have been replaced with fresh clean system files. If you've performed a factory reset more than once and you still have the same issue, then it most certainly is a hardware issue. Chances of getting the same corrupt system files after 2 factory resets are just about slim to none.

I agree with AnitmonyER. Time to cash in on that warranty.