Support "Software conflict" GN isn't very well.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by shepst0rm, Aug 9, 2012.

1. shepst0rm

shepst0rm Member

Aug 9, 2012
    Hi all.

My GN is going through a rough patch and I can't nail down why.

Basicly, to keep this brief, the rear/media speaker is buzzing, crackling, static(ish) when any sound is played through it. It sounds a little like electrical interference, most of the time a bzz and a crackle.

I also noticed last night whilst watching a youtube video, that video playback freezed during a noticeable buzz from the speaker. Additionally, scrolling through the phone/browser seemed less responsive, slow and pausing for half a second on occasion. I'm unclear as to whether this is me looking for problems or an actual one, but I'm throwing it out there.

I figure the phone is beginning to die on me but I really can't tell if this is a hardware fault or software.

I contacted Samsung all I got was what seems to be a default reply;

What is the easiest way of solving this?
    I've tried a factory reset before through the phone menu's and also reset through boot.

Apparently I need to 'reflash' the software or software reset.

Running 4.1.1.

I don't mess with kernals.

Installed Volume+ after sound issues to see if I can improve sound thru EQ, but have not increased volume.

Any help would be awesome.

Thanks.

Advertisement

2. AntimonyER

AntimonyER AF Addict
    VIP Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Statesboro, GA
    Welcome to AF, shepst0rm!

I believe they are talking about a factory reset. You can do this by going to settings, backup & reset, and then choosing the factory data reset option. Be aware this will wipe everything on the phone, so back-up your pictures, files etc. prior to doing this.

shepst0rm likes this.
  3. sik00

sik00 Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2011
    Indiana
    Is your Nexus the GSM or CDMA version? I ask because I see you're on 4.1.1 and was wondering if the ROM was official or from a dev. If its a custom ROM, I'm wondering if maybe the dev has the volume turned up higher than normal. The ROM I use has this, and my speaker will start to sound "tinny". Turning the volume down one notch below max fixes it.

4. shepst0rm

shepst0rm Member

Aug 9, 2012
    Thanks Anti :) Usually the first place I come to lurk for the latest Android news.

I've done that already to no avail. I feeling I get is they want me to go to a support center so they can wipe the phone and reinstall/flash Android, or something along those lines.

Problem is, I don't drive and the nearest center is 30 or 40 miles away on the outskirts of London, not exactly local or convenient.

I figure, if it truly is a software conflict, the best thing to do would be do as said, reinstall android JB or something along those lines.

Ski00 - GSM mate, received OTA, 100% official. I don't tamper with custom ROM's etc.

I'm still not convinced whether this is a software fault or hardware, Video playback is somewhat sketchy during a prolonged buzz from the speaker on some youtube video's, and the phone has moments where it is sluggish.

In other news; I just ordered a Nexus 7, BOOM.

5. AntimonyER

AntimonyER AF Addict
    VIP Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Statesboro, GA
    Congrats on the N7, I want one too, but already have an A500, and pretty happy with it, and my wife won't let me have two.

If you have done a factory reset, and still doing the same thing, at this point I think it is time to cash in on the warranty. I don't see how it could still be a software issue after that.

6. Tim K

Tim K Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Male
    Phila, PA
    Doesn't sound like hardware if you are getting screen freezes at the same time as the buzzing. It does sound like a 'software' or OS problem.

I'm going to assume you already tried a battery pull and reboot and that didn't help?

I would recommend you back everything up and do the hard reset.

shepst0rm likes this.
  7. shepst0rm

shepst0rm Member

Aug 9, 2012
    Thing is I've done a reset via menu and also done one via boot, none of which helped. I'll reset through boot again on the off chance I did it incorrectly.

The only thing I haven't tried is rolling back to ICS and upgrading OTA to Jellybean again, or simply reinstalling jellybean (flashing is the term?). I've yet to find a guide or tutorial that explains how to do this in laymen's terms.

If I could wipe everything off the phone and install JB again, that would be a good endgame to whether this is software or hardware and be able to cash in on the warrenty.

8. shepst0rm

shepst0rm Member

Aug 9, 2012
    If I do a hard reset, it should put the phone back to how I first recieved it correct? So the phone will need to update itself back to jellybean?

9. jova33

jova33 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    militar
    El Paso
    No, jelly bean should stay. It just erases all your apps and data.

shepst0rm likes this.
  10. shepst0rm

shepst0rm Member

Aug 9, 2012
    If that is the case, then I think rolling back somehow and upgrading again might be best, if possible.

Any ideas?

11. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female

Jun 13, 2011
    Female
    Annoying my X-Husband
    Hanover Park, IL
    If you've already done a factory reset, then any corrupt files would have been replaced with fresh clean system files. If you've performed a factory reset more than once and you still have the same issue, then it most certainly is a hardware issue. Chances of getting the same corrupt system files after 2 factory resets are just about slim to none.

I agree with AnitmonyER. Time to cash in on that warranty.

Tags: