• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help software update 11/12/14

I downloaded the update immediately upon powering on my new GL on Metro. It downloaded and installed seamlessly.
"Immediately upon powering on my new GL on Metro"": Does that mean that you just got the phone? That would, of course, be the perfect time to install an upgrade, before you get any apps loaded or data accumulated. I've had my phone a little over a month; I first saw the upgrade notice almost two weeks ago. But between you and Codawg, perhaps I'll push the button and roll the dice. Beginning to seem like it's not as much of a gamble as the warning flags suggest.

Upvote 0
"Immediately upon powering on my new GL on Metro"": Does that mean that you just got the phone? That would, of course, be the perfect time to install an upgrade, before you get any apps loaded or data accumulated. I've had my phone a little over a month; I first saw the upgrade notice almost two weeks ago. But between you and Codawg, perhaps I'll push the button and roll the dice. Beginning to seem like it's not as much of a gamble as the warning flags suggest.
Yes, brand new out of the box. Having seen this thread, I didn't wait on the message, I went straight to the OTA update after activating.

Upvote 0
Hello, all,

I should probably let you know that I pushed the button within the last 24H. So far, so good. Update went smoothly; I haven't noticed any problems with apps or data. I did notice, as did samsung_guy and Codawg, that the mobile hotspot app changed its name and icon (cosmetic, I'm sure) and, as Codawg mentioned, I did find the change in build number as described above. It appears this update is safe from deleterious consequences. I wish it had fixed the problems with the MP3 player (I think that's in another thread); perhaps I'll have to find a better player and try to make it the default for everything, if possible, to include ringtones, alarms, and notifications as well as multimedia. But enough off-topic drivel for one night/early morning. Gonna stick my head out to see if we get 3-5 inches of snow or if we get nothing. I doubt highly it'll get any worse.

Upvote 0
You'd notice the difference - if not on call quality, then in the call app itself. It says "HD Voice" during calls in the TMO version (after VOLTE was enabled), and there's a little equalizer button thing that you can use to adjust some kinds of settings.

It's confusing to me that T-Mobile would continue to develop 2 (very different) versions of the same phone for 2 aspects of the same company. I'm not sure how that's cost-effective, but I guess I understand very little of what motivates any of these companies.

Upvote 0
You'd notice the difference - if not on call quality, then in the call app itself. It says "HD Voice" during calls in the TMO version (after VOLTE was enabled), and there's a little equalizer button thing that you can use to adjust some kinds of settings.

It's confusing to me that T-Mobile would continue to develop 2 (very different) versions of the same phone for 2 aspects of the same company. I'm not sure how that's cost-effective, but I guess I understand very little of what motivates any of these companies.
A Q&D Googling of "voice over lte metro pcs" gives me the impression you won't be happy, jbreaker. I got reads like this, and they're all a few years old already. Apparently, Metro PCS created VoLTE because they were stuck w/o a lot of bandwidth, something they got by merging with T-M.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
***My comments are for T-Mobile customers and not necessarily for MetroPCS users.***

Myself and others have been fighting with T-Mobile since this baseband version of the firmware was released -- it causes the phone to randomly reboot. I have done a lot of troubleshooting, e.g., factory data reset, etc., as have others and the bottom line is that the OTA software update ended up being corrupted for many users and is causing the random reboot issue. For anyone that hasn't downloaded this update from T-Mobile, please save yourself a lot of trouble and do not update to this baseband version. T-Mobile technical support has been notified of the issue, but has yet to announce an upcoming software release to fix the problem. Given the age of this phone, some are wondering if an updated software fix will ever be released.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones