1. HUGE Androidforums.com UPDATE! Learn what's new (and download the new app!)
    Dismiss Notice

Software UpdateSupport

Last Updated:

1. Bubs09

Bubs09 New Member This Topic's Starter

Im actually quite confused about this. I have a Samsung Galaxy Luna SM-S120VL, and Straight Talk Wireless is my carrier. I called Samsung one night requesting information about software update availability. They told me they cannot assist me because my device is a TracFone Wirelles service. I contacted Straight Talk Wireless, and they told me Google would push the update. Still curious, I had an online chat with TracFone Wireless, and their response was that the manufacturer (Samsung) would release the update. I'm currently using Android version 6.0.1 and my device has never been updated. So I have no idea what or who to believe. I haven't contacted Google just yet, I'm at the point I don't even know if my phone could ever receive a software update or not. Can somebody please help???

Advertisement
  2. kate

kate Dreaming of Bugdroid. Guide

Welcome to the site! :)

When you buy a carrier phone Android updates usually go:
    Google -> Device Manufacturer -> Carrier

Depending how Straight Talk handles updates you'd get it from Samsung or Straight Talk. Some prepaid carriers rarely update their own phones so you may or may not get one.

Google only directly updates Nexus and Pixel devices.

Dannydet and Jfalls63 like this.
  3. Jfalls63

Jfalls63 VIP Member VIP Member

Google makes a Android version and releases it to the phone manufacturers like Samsung.
    Samsung gets it and adapts it to their devices and releases its modified version to the carriers.
    The carriers get it and add their own modifications to it then push out the OTA update to their branded handsets.
    Normally, Straight Talk does not make or release updates to their branded devices. Basically what is on the device when you bought it is it.
    It's hard to even find stock firmware for their branded devices if needed to reflash the system.
    If you ever get a update, consider yourself lucky.

Dannydet and Bubs09 like this.
  4. Bubs09

Thank you for some insight on this issue. So what would be my possibilities? I mean, just because Straight Talk is a 3rd party carrier and they are not required to release updates, really shouldn't mean, in my opinion, that they should refuse to release the updates. I've never used any other carrier I love Straight Talk' s service. And I'm not speaking for any of their other customers, but they are a hell of a success. If they released the updates, and allowed for more privileges (for lack of better terms) their business would more than double. Their service and devices are cheap, and reliable. I just want a software update haha but how can i receive one without taking the chance of never receiving it from Straight Talk?

Jfalls63 likes this.
  5. Dannydet

Dannydet Well-Known Member

Well if it's any consolation, most of us are on the same boat as you. Updates are a joke, really on any Android phone...

Jfalls63 likes this.
  6. Jfalls63

Jfalls63 VIP Member VIP Member

Have been using Straight Talk for years but I don't buy their branded devices. Currently using a Motorola X Pure Edition. Even Motorola has been slow with updates since been bought by Lenovo.
    Luckily the bootloader can be unlocked and lots of custom development can be found giving me the choice to stay at 6.0 or flashing the latest available.

7. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

Luna? Is that Straight Talk's branded version of Samsung Galaxy J1? Also called Ace or Young I believe, depending on region. If it's got 6.0.1 Marshmallow on it, that means it has been updated. Originally J1 came with 5.1.1 when it was first released AFAIK.

8. Bubs09

The device had Android Version 6.0.1 Marshmallow installed when I took the device out of the package. And I've had the Samsung Galaxy Ace previously, and the devices are completely different. The Luna resembles the Grand Prime, in my opinion.