• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Software Update

I get an error after trying to download the update. It says download failure "device runs out of memory." The file is 71,202 KB (about 70 MB) and I have over 700MB available in all 3 of my storage locations. I guess it's just failing and giving me a generic failure message. I'm downloading over 4G. Anyone else successful or unsuccessful downloading the update on 4G????

Update: After trying 2 or 3 times, now my phone tells me that there is no update available. WTF???

Upvote 0
I get an error after trying to download the update. It says download failure "device runs out of memory." The file is 71,202 KB (about 70 MB) and I have over 700MB available in all 3 of my storage locations. I guess it's just failing and giving me a generic failure message. I'm downloading over 4G. Anyone else successful or unsuccessful downloading the update on 4G????

Update: After trying 2 or 3 times, now my phone tells me that there is no update available. WTF???
I am on 3G and had no problem downloading and installing. It worked on the first try. I could only wish we had 4G in this area. I can not see where that would make a difference. I would call tech support and see if they can help.

Upvote 0

What do you mean by "700MB available in all 3 of my storage locations"? The error code was written by a developer, who normally calls RAM memory, of which there is only 512MB, but really only max 368MB available. What are the other two storage locations you're referring to?

I'm going to create a new thread entitled "RAM-constrained phone" or some such. We're always seeing problems when RAM gets around 70MB. I have to use Superbox's "Free Memory" button all too often to free memory (RAM), because the freeable memory that is supposed to be freed up when needed, never seems to get freed up before I see problems.

Upvote 0
What do you mean by "700MB available in all 3 of my storage locations"? The error code was written by a developer, who normally calls RAM memory, of which there is only 512MB, but really only max 368MB available. What are the other two storage locations you're referring to?

I'm going to create a new thread entitled "RAM-constrained phone" or some such. We're always seeing problems when RAM gets around 70MB. I have to use Superbox's "Free Memory" button all too often to free memory (RAM), because the freeable memory that is supposed to be freed up when needed, never seems to get freed up before I see problems.

You're definitely on to something. I use a home screen app called "GO Launcher EX" which has a feature that shows available memory when you access the app drawer and select "Running" apps. My availalble memory hovered around 100mb routinely until I deleted several widgets that I had which used considerable memory just being there. (CBS News, CNN News, SI, YouTube, a couple of e-mail widgets and some others.) I found that I really didn't need the widgets and replaced them with shortcuts that don't have any memory use, but launch the apps just as well. Now, the free memory shows 144mb routinely and the phone functions considerably better. I didn't realize widgets had so much memory use and perhaps individually they don't. But, add together several screens full of them and they add up. I also reduced the number of home screens since I now only show shortcuts. I still run widgets for a weather app and music player, but otherwise I'm fine now. - MarkC

Upvote 0
Yeah, and lag? In my observations, the cause seems obvious: lag is inversely proportional to available RAM.

But there are more knowledgeable people than me on this and other forums, and since I've never seen it stated like that anywhere else, I'm hesitant to make such a claim.

Glad I didn't get the smaller-RAM Samsung Charge. I suppose rooting and freezing would help, but not sure.

I'm thinking you judge an Android smartphone's specs like how you'd judge an old XP laptop. 1 GHz processor, 512MB RAM: processor is good enough, RAM is too low.

I've said here about what I wanted to say in a separate thread. But I may do a separate one anyway so it's more searchable, and add my RAM numbers from the list in Running Services for two different times when I wrote down all of what was taking up my memory.

Upvote 0

I don't doubt for a minute that you might have too little available RAM to apply the update due to the runnning services you have. As I mentioned in another post, I was running about 100mb and having lag and other issues. (The messaging app I use kept warning me I had too little memory.) If you have many screens with lots of widgets, try temporarily deleting some of the widgets (that you can easily add back later), then reboot the phone and try applying the update manually (from the Settings menu, About Phone, Software update, etc.). Make sure you have WiFi, BT and GPS off and whatever else you don't need. You can't stop all the pre-installed bloatware unless you root the phone, but you should be able to clear enough RAM to get the update on. Then you can reasses what widgets and processes you need and go from there. Good luck. - MarkC

Upvote 0

Thank you all for your replies, but if you read my original post it was a download failure. Not a installation failure. How could the phone run out of RAM from downloading a file??? I downloaded the same exact file (.bin) from a post on XDA forums. Of course on the Revolution there is little you can do with the file since there is really no recovery. I suppose I could have tried ADB, but I just ended up doing a factory data reset. I tried clearing all the cache that I could, but it always (every single time) failed when I got to 50% downloaded.

The storage I'm referring to is my 32GB SD Card, the 12GB internal SD Card (cannot be removed, they call this "Internal Memory") and what they call "Internal Phone Storage"(about 1.5 GB before installing apps). I'm convinced that LG and Verizon are putting this download file into some internal storage that the regular user cannot write to or delete from. My freakin' Droid 1 never had an issue downloading an OTA!!! With far less RAM and internal phone storage than the REVO.

Note: Sorry if I wasn't clear, after the factory data reset my phone downloaded and installed the OTA update just fine.

Upvote 0
Just got updated in Omaha NE. So far it's a bit snappier. NETFLIX is definitely better. No more choppy streaming.

Huh, NETFLIX has worked great for me except for an update or two that caused it to fail to connect to the Netflix server (fixed by rebooting whenever it happened). I've never had choppy streaming, even on 3G.

I'm glad to hear it's working better for you now!

Upvote 0
... after the factory data reset my phone downloaded and installed the OTA update just fine.

A reboot or reset is the surest way to free up RAM. And again, your error message was written by a programmer, so I suspect more that when they refer to "memory" they mean RAM. (Though any individual programmer could be sloppy and ambiguously call everything "memory".)

Also, I have experienced failed downloads that worked as soon as I freed up memory (I use Superbox to do that, maybe there are other utilities that free RAM, and it's quicker than a reboot).

For me, this (unrooted) phone's worst constraint is not the battery, it's RAM. I've had to give up having my four e-mail accounts on the phone (other than my Gmail account) because the Email process was taking up 50MB.

How could the phone run out of RAM from downloading a file???

Why not? RAM is always used. Every bit that flows into phone storage hits RAM first.

Upvote 0
A reboot or reset is the surest way to free up RAM. And again, your error message was written by a programmer, so I suspect more that when they refer to "memory" they mean RAM. (Though any individual programmer could be sloppy and ambiguously call everything "memory".)

Also, I have experienced failed downloads that worked as soon as I freed up memory (I use Superbox to do that, maybe there are other utilities that free RAM, and it's quicker than a reboot).

For me, this (unrooted) phone's worst constraint is not the battery, it's RAM. I've had to give up having my four e-mail accounts on the phone (other than my Gmail account) because the Email process was taking up 50MB.

Why not? RAM is always used. Every bit that flows into phone storage hits RAM first.

1st, I downloaded the same exact .bin file from XDA Forums among thousands of other files that never failed to download. 2nd, the OTA update always failed at the exact same point, 50%. Everything points to the target download location running out of space. I'm just looking at the evidence.

Please also note that a developer labeled the internal SD card "Internal Memory" as it seems this is the basis for you thinking it's a RAM issue. If were talking terminology here.

I wish I would have found this app before doing my factory reset: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.a0soft.gphone.acc.free&feature=search_result

Upvote 0
1st, I downloaded the same exact .bin file from XDA Forums among thousands of other files that never failed to download. 2nd, the OTA update always failed at the exact same point, 50%. Everything points to the target download location running out of space. I'm just looking at the evidence.

Please also note that a developer labeled the internal SD card "Internal Memory" as it seems this is the basis for you thinking it's a RAM issue. If were talking terminology here.

I wish I would have found this app before doing my factory reset: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.a0soft.gphone.acc.free&feature=search_result

The evidence you've provided so far really doesn't point to storage. I'll give you my reasons, but not engage anymore in this discussion.

1. VZW download site only says it takes 70MB. That seems the requirement for free space. Did you have that much internal storage (you only reported a combined figure of 700MB)? If you had less, then yes, that's the problem, but you wouldn't have omitted that obvious key piece of information.

2. XDA download success vs. VZW OTA app failure during download points more to RAM depletion, because of the difference in what they're doing:

--- XDA download: a simple FTP.

--- VZW OTA app: very probably has more built-in checks, because it's important that the download is complete, not corrupt, and timely (for people who don't have good signal). For example, maybe at 50% it does extra file corruption checks, and then checkpoints the download. That takes more RAM than a simple FTP. <===== This is my guess of the problem.

3. If you had enough storage, like 75 MB internal storage, then we could go with something like your theory that you say you're convinced of, that there's a special kind of limited temporary storage used, even though VZW only says "Note: The size for this software upgrade is 69.5 MB." That would mean they are giving the wrong requirement, and there is a terrible bug that you and others will experience even though you have well more than 70 MB available. Could be true, but seems less likely than RAM depletion.

4. It could be some other bug, different from RAM or storage. But the error message said "memory." So this too seems less likely.

5. The OTA download worked once you cleared RAM (reset the phone). (The alternative theory of some special limited download memory space being released could also hold, but certainly you cleared RAM.)

6. This is a RAM-constrained phone, where RAM depletion is a common cause of all sorts of problems. It is definitely not a storage-constrained phone. Again, likelihood to RAM depletion.

P.S. That app you linked to seems to be only a cache cleaner, which frees internal storage. Of all the phones in the world, the Revo least needs a cache cleaner. We have 1.5GB of user-usable internal storage (the LG Optimus has only 179 MB!) But the LG Optimus has more available RAM than our Revo (thanks in part to the Revo's VZW crapware). We're memory constrained, and something like Superbox has a "Free Memory" button (it also has a cache cleaner, but you've gotta have a gaggle of apps installed on the Revo and none moved to the SD card before a cache cleaner is a necessity).

Upvote 0
The evidence you've provided so far really doesn't point to storage. I'll give you my reasons, but not engage anymore in this discussion.

1. VZW download site only says it takes 70MB. That seems the requirement for free space. Did you have that much internal storage (you only reported a combined figure of 700MB)? If you had less, then yes, that's the problem, but you wouldn't have omitted that obvious key piece of information.

2. XDA download success vs. VZW OTA app failure during download points more to RAM depletion, because of the difference in what they're doing:

--- XDA download: a simple FTP.

--- VZW OTA app: very probably has more built-in checks, because it's important that the download is complete, not corrupt, and timely (for people who don't have good signal). For example, maybe at 50% it does extra file corruption checks, and then checkpoints the download. That takes more RAM than a simple FTP. <===== This is my guess of the problem.

3. If you had enough storage, like 75 MB internal storage, then we could go with something like your theory that you say you're convinced of, that there's a special kind of limited temporary storage used, even though VZW only says "Note: The size for this software upgrade is 69.5 MB." That would mean they are giving the wrong requirement, and there is a terrible bug that you and others will experience even though you have well more than 70 MB available. Could be true, but seems less likely than RAM depletion.

4. It could be some other bug, different from RAM or storage. But the error message said "memory." So this too seems less likely.

5. The OTA download worked once you cleared RAM (reset the phone). (The alternative theory of some special limited download memory space being released could also hold, but certainly you cleared RAM.)

6. This is a RAM-constrained phone, where RAM depletion is a common cause of all sorts of problems. It is definitely not a storage-constrained phone. Again, likelihood to RAM depletion.

P.S. That app you linked to seems to be only a cache cleaner, which frees internal storage. Of all the phones in the world, the Revo least needs a cache cleaner. We have 1.5GB of user-usable internal storage (the LG Optimus has only 179 MB!) But the LG Optimus has more available RAM than our Revo (thanks in part to the Revo's VZW crapware). We're memory constrained, and something like Superbox has a "Free Memory" button (it also has a cache cleaner, but you've gotta have a gaggle of apps installed on the Revo and none moved to the SD card before a cache cleaner is a necessity).

I just gotta say one thing. Shouldn't a regular reboot, or as you say "reset" clear the RAM??? I performed several reboots at times between download attempts. The Factory Data Reset I did obviously cleared all of the internal storage (to include cache) but a regular reboot should clear the RAM. You are not very convincing. It's all in the past anyways at this point.

Upvote 0
I just gotta say one thing. Shouldn't a regular reboot, or as you say "reset" clear the RAM??? I performed several reboots at times between download attempts. The Factory Data Reset I did obviously cleared all of the internal storage (to include cache) but a regular reboot should clear the RAM. You are not very convincing. It's all in the past anyways at this point.

That is new evidence. You never told us you rebooted and the OTA update didn't work.

When you say, "or as you say "reset"...", it seems you're taking what I thought was helpful knowledge (you didn't know RAM was involved in a download [so what, I don't know a lot of stuff], and I happen to have had 10 years of low level [C and assembler] coding experience, including designing software updates) the wrong way. I could sense that before, and that was the reason I didn't want to engage further. You were the one that stated you did a reset, so that's why I said reset. You never said reboot, so I couldn't say you did a reboot.

Reactions: sandystorm
Upvote 0
No more then 2 hours ago while on the phone, I get another call and my phone vibrates next to my ear. I say to myself, "Man, they really need to fix that." An hour passes and I get the auto-update. I see this in the patch log:

Call Features
+ When on a call while in Vibrate mode and an incoming call is received,
a short beep notification will sound instead of a vibration.

You are welcome, Android community. Please click the Thanks button. :)

Upvote 0
im having problems aswell, but the update downloads 100% then the phone goes to install the update, the lg welcome screen opens..then the android with the open box and arrow. the bar fills about twenty percent, then the phone reboots, then straight to a verizon update failure screen. any ideas? btw im rooted, using the rage.apk and su to manage.

Upvote 0
im having problems aswell, but the update downloads 100% then the phone goes to install the update, the lg welcome screen opens..then the android with the open box and arrow. the bar fills about twenty percent, then the phone reboots, then straight to a verizon update failure screen. any ideas? btw im rooted, using the rage.apk and su to manage.

Don't think you can do OTA updates in the usual manner if you're rooted. Don't know what to suggest, but someone with more knowledge will hopefully chime in. - MarkC

Upvote 0

I had to de-root my phone and de-bloat (or re-bloat) my phone. I use bloat remover so I had to unfreeze everything. Then unroot. Then try. If it still doesn't work (mine didn't) I did a factory reset and then downloaded the update.

Btw my phone runs amazing now. I had some battery issues that I solved with rooting but my phone was kinda buggy because I froze soo much stuff. This update has seen my battery last all day on 4G. Very happy with it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones