1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Solar ChargersAccessories

1. yzingerr

yzingerr Well-Known Member

Anyone have any luck with solar chargers for the Droid?
    I bought some cheapo ebay thing, and my phone refuses to charge with it... BIG surprise! :rolleyes:

Advertisement
    :
  2. FrayAdjacent

FrayAdjacent Well-Known Member

I haven't checked any, but I'd think most won't provide a constant current.

I did see a project in Popular Mechanics (IIRC) that used a solar panel to charge a 12v battery, with a 12v cigarette lighter socket connected so you could charge your phone from there.
  3. Gladiator341

Gladiator341 New Member

I have a solio solar charger it works good in an emergency but it can not hold a very big charge so it needs sunlight while charging the phone to fully charge it, and takes a few hours if the battery is low.
    sithman93 likes this.
  4. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

Yeah. And the problem with an inconsistent current is that the damn screen turns on every time you unplug it so you'd probably keep losing what you just charged back up if it's really intermittent.

And that's an interesting project, but assuming you're referring to a 12V lead-acid battery, that's hardly portable. What a workout to keep that thing in your bag! :p
  5. yzingerr

Yeah, I should mention that it must be light and portable
    sithman93 likes this.
  6. DarcMasta

DarcMasta Active Member

I remember that I had to build one for a Solar Energy Final a few years back. Although it looked rickety, it somehow was able to charge the battery. Not amazingly but from 15%->40%. Solar Chargers are a great concept, but I feel they dont have enough funding yet =(, wish it did cause then I can take advantage of this sunny weather......and not complain about how the A/C isn't working.
    {at least then ill be hot and have a charged phone =-p}
  7. Shootr

Shootr Well-Known Member

8. yzingerr

arggggh!
    Im outdoors all of the time without a power receptacle to plug into (though I usually have plenty of sunshine!)
    especially when camping!
  9. FrayAdjacent

It's definitely not portable. The panel it used was one of those 3'x1' panels putting out about 45W, IIRC. It also had an optional inverter to power 110VAC devices. It ran off of one of those small 12v lead acid batteries and had a charge regulator. You could add multiple batteries in parallel for more juice.

It would be a home-based thing to charge your phone and other small devices from solar power.
  10. FrayAdjacent

When photovoltaic panels are available for $1/watt or less (some up and coming technologies should be closer to $0.10/watt) it will be more economically feasible to set up a home power system. I'd like a system that can get 6-10kW peak so I can run everything in my house and have spare power to charge a battery bank.
  11. Slodog

Slodog New Member

I just got a Brunton Explorer solar charger and it will not charge my Droid. From what I can gather it puts out 1000aM at 5v and this seems to be pretty standard with the other chargers I've seen. Is this just not enough juice or is there something I'm missing.
  12. shadowdude777

The official Droid wall charger is 850mA@5V so 1000mA@5V should definitely suffice. But yeah, this is what I feared about solar chargers, the fact that they just don't put out continuous power.

I'm not quite sure about this, it's just speculation, but perhaps you could put a supercapacitor (maybe around 1F@5V) in series with the panel.
  13. skunkpbguy

skunkpbguy Well-Known Member

I'm still looking for the inertial based chargers that have been promised.. anyone found a source for these?
  14. shadowdude777

You mean like a "shake-to-charge" concept like they use in some flashlights? It's a terrible idea. It doesn't help in the slightest.

Circuit - Modified Shake to Charge Flashlight - page 2

That's the circuit. You would replace the white LED with a USB port, basically. But if you go to page 3 you can see why this is a terrible idea.
  15. skunkpbguy

skunkpbguy Well-Known Member

The versions I'd read about were vastly improved over the flashlights, but none of the cell chargers have ever made it to market.. at least I cannot find them listed for sale.
    The main purpose of my search is I walk constantly at my job and if generating a 'free' charge is possible, I'm all about doing it while keeping my phone in my pocket.
  16. yzingerr

17. shadowdude777

I call BS. The Droid has a 4.8Wh battery. They're saying you get about 2.4Wh in 20 minutes? That's a claim of 7.2W of power from a Droid-sized solar panel.

In comparison, this 5x5" solar panel square generates 1.25W.

Unless they're using some magical, non-silicon based technology, it's all lies. But then they must be using something magical to bump up the price on an el cheapo solar cell with a MicroUSB plug attached to it to $40. It couldn't be a marketing scheme.

You'll need to carry around a square foot or so of solar panels to charge your phone at their claimed speeds. Solar panels just do not work for mobile charging; they work if you have an array on your roof, not if you have one sewn into your backpack.
  18. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member