Solar Power Charger!

Last Updated: 2012-07-23 05:24:26
  1. archaleus

archaleus New Member

I was tipped off to this solar powered battery charger and I have to say, it is a fantastic deal for the price. Not only does it charge via the solar cells, but it has a built in battery to store this power to use when not in direct sunlight. All of this for a price that is under half what I have seen for lots of other portable battery pack without the solar capabilities. It is compatible with everything through the usb plug. If you are looking for a great universal charger at a price you can't beat, check it out here.
    0.4W 2600mAh Digital Mobile Solar Power Charger for iPod - DinoDirect.com

Advertisement
  2. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate! Moderator

Looks interesting.

Are you looking to get one yourself?
  3. archaleus

archaleus New Member

Yeah. I have been in several situations and with this I wont have to search for batteries to put in it or remember to plug one in so I am definitely trying this out. For that price I am for sure
  4. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate! Moderator

Can you post in here or drop me a PM when you've have had the opportunity to test. I'd be interested in getting one myself.
  5. Harry2

Harry2 Well-Known Member

I own a solar powered battery charger (Energy-Trends) and it works fine (with enough sunshine over a long time ;) ).

But with enough sunshine the charger (and the battery !) gets very hot.
    As I know, charging circuits interrupt the charging process when the temperature of the Li-Ion battery goes above +45C (+113F). So I think, the charging process isn't very effective.

And I think, its better to have mobile charger and solar panel as two separate devices.
    I've seen very nice backpacks with solar panels back on it.
    Maybe my next project :)

EDIT: Today I ordered a solar panel (18x13x0.3cm) for attaching on a backpack.

Harry
    SeekerOfTheWay likes this.
  6. Aprilc

Aprilc Guest

thanks OP.Can you post in here once you get the charger?
  7. Harry2

Harry2 Well-Known Member

This morning was sunshine and I could test my new solar panel.

I connected my HTC Desire directly to the solar panel and ... there was no charging :(

OK, I had no dessert sun and so I measured the charging current.
    125mA wasn't enough current to put the Desire in charging mode.

But 125mA was enough current to charge my mobile charger (JustMobile Gum Pro).
    OK, I will need several days to charge fully the JustMobiles 4400mAh battery ;)

>> At daytime solar panel charges JustMobile, at night time JustMobile charges Desire <<

Concluding remark:
    With relative small solar paneles that low output current is a general problem.
    As in my post above mentioned, I own a solar charger (solar panel with built-in battery) ET3000.
    The ET3000 also needs 1-2 days sunshine to charge fully its 3000mAh battery, depends on sunshine.

Harry
    SeekerOfTheWay and El Presidente like this.
  8. Aprilc

Aprilc Guest

hello Harry,
    where did you get your new solar panel? I am considering buy one.
    maybe i will buy the Solar Power Charger @dinodirect.
  9. Harry2

Harry2 Well-Known Member

Energy Trends
    http://www.energy-trends.eu/
    Sorry, their site is only in German.

But you can compare the specs :)
    Note the the electrical power output of the solar panels.
    Rough calculation:
    That e.g. 0.4W power you have to divide with 5V output voltage ...
    that is about 0.08A = 80mA charging current for the battery.

Harry
  10. bitsybobsy

bitsybobsy Well-Known Member

i remember when there was a time a lot of people were complaining about car chargers that do not charge htc desire. or data cable, dont remember which one but if the case was data cable, then even 500mA does not charge the htc desire. I am sure these solar chargers will need a lot more power to charge a smart phone these days.
  11. SeekerOfTheWay

SeekerOfTheWay Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the Info on solar chargers! I'm thinking of getting one for hiking and camping. Getting a panal for my backpack is a great idea! Cool!
  12. Aprilc

Aprilc Guest

Thank you Harry. But in German,that is a problem.
    thank you anyway. :)
  13. Harry2

Harry2 Well-Known Member

14. Aprilc

Aprilc Guest

15. BYUFanatic

BYUFanatic New Member

Did anyone ever buy/try the solar charger mentioned by archaleus?

I have a solar charger that I picked up at Walmart on a whim (it was on their clearance shelf). It works great, but doesn't hold as much of a charge as I'd like. So, I bought one off eBay that looks exactly like the one pictured in archaleus' post (only mine is black). Unfortunately it doesn't work. It won't charge my Droid 3. However, I can plug my digital camera into it, a Droid Incredible, and a couple other USB-chargeable devices and they will all charge just fine.

I'm wondering if it's a compatibility issue between that particular solar charger and my phone, or if there's something wrong with one or the other. I've actually come up with a work-around of sorts. I plug my Droid into my smaller charger, then plug my smaller charger into my larger charger. That keeps my smaller charger charged while my Droid is recharging from it. Goofy, but works really well! I just don't want to have to be carrying around two solar chargers and two cords all the time.

So, any thoughts as to why my smaller charger works fine, but my larger charger will charge other devices, but not my Droid? The larger charger says that it has an output of "Dc 5.5V 800m A" and has a battery of "2600ma/h."

Thanks!
  16. Harry2

Harry2 Well-Known Member

Solar charger (with solar panel as build-in or as external ) have Li-Ion batteries like mobile chargers.
    Li-Ion batteries holding their charges for months.

Harry
  17. mareasy

mareasy New Member

solar power charger only can use when there is a strong light now,and it last short.
    we have to charge it if we want it last long and charge quickly!
    HOPE we can see the more powerful soloar charger!
  18. xiaoneitie

xiaoneitie Member

it's so cool i also bought one from suntekstore . so nice....
  19. Harry2

Harry2 Well-Known Member

Hope you have bought a "stand-alone" solar cell panel ... ;) not such one with a build-in battery like that solar charger you asked about in the other thread ... :)

Harry
  20. lwestlie

lwestlie Member

Anything less than 5 watts is a joke when it comes to actually charging your gadget. Something that cheap and weak will just frustrate the user hoping to charge with the sun. I use a 10w model and it brings my EVO from 50% to 100% in under 2 hours.
    Harry2 likes this.
  21. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum Moderator

You might want to be a little more honest in your responses and let our members know you are the developer of that particular product.
    Crashumbc, Slug and Harry2 like this.
  22. Harry2

Harry2 Well-Known Member

Yes, he should've been more honest this way!

But the essence of his statement about solar panels with less than 5W is true :)
    I've made this experience too.

Theoretical, 5W means 1A by 5V.
    The actual max current which the panel of 5W is able to charge a phone would be about 0.8A, less than a wall charger's.

Harry
  23. lwestlie

lwestlie Member

I apologize for not being more clear. I started my small business because I was getting very frustrated that I couldn't find a solar charger with adequate power at an adequate price. Most chargers are too weak or too expensive. I've come to these forums not to just promote my product but to hopefully find someone interested in helping me develop and improve it. At the moment I am the sole employee.

Also thanks for not deleting my post :)
  24. Have you ever got it?I need some suggestions.
  25. Harry2

Harry2 Well-Known Member