Solar powered charging belt-clip caseAccessories

Last Updated:

1. HittingSmoke

HittingSmoke Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Jun 8, 2010
    I intend on buying this solar charger after I get my Evo, but this and some DYI solar projects I've seen got me thinking...

This is a big phone. Big phone = lots of surface area on the case. Why can't I mount a small solar panel on the outside of a hip case with a very short USB cable to plug into it? Might be able to work in some kind of quick release in the cable for easy disconnect when answering calls too but that's all trivial compared to the basic design.

You can get small durable weather resistant solar panels for crazy cheap by buying outdoor solar lights and popping the panels out. Wire it up to a chopped USB cable with a small 5V voltage regulator from Radio Shack and mount it to the outside of a case similar to this.

I'm worried I might not get enough amperage though. I don't have any experience working with solar panels and I've heard of issues when part of a cell is in the shade but don't know the specifics of it.

Anyone have any experience with a DYI project like this? Any input would be appreciated.

2. Karuk

Karuk Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2009

If you are trying to be green go out and plant a few trees.