• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Solar Wars - the game (early Alpha)

LucidHead

Lurker
Jul 9, 2011
Hello everyone!

I've this year I have joined the dark side of programming and I became a Java developper. After many less or more successful applications - with one on market already, I would like to start a completely new project: Solar Wars.

Solar Wars are intended to be a 2D space battle game for mobile phones (propably only Android) where player steers a space ship in real time to defeat his opponents in varius battles. Game will be available for free.

I am aware that there are propably many games like that already on store, but I've decided to create something more:
- really complex damage system
- well developped missle balistics
- realistic collision effects
- possibility of improving and creating space ships from parts

I have already put some work into it and developped a part of sophisticated 2D engine.

Here are some rough screens of what I already have:

11vmubm.png

2ufrq82.png

What we can see on the screens are:
- 2 circles - they are used as joysticks - no graphical fireworks yet;)
- 2 ships - one of them is AI controlled (standing still yet
- one is player controlled
- beautiful background

Ships consists of 4 parts - 3 squares and 1 triangle - of course engine is ready to add more different shapes, colors, images, etc, but I was too lazy to draw them yet.

I am aware that this is only a seed of a game, but I estimate to finish it by september, with playable beta versions being available to download by 15th of August at worse. I've decided to create that topic, as from my personal experience people have sometimes awesome ideas, which cannot be easily included when game is already released + making the project public will give me more determination to work on it and polish it. I would also like to hear your opinions if there is a niche for such game in your opinion.

Lucid Head Games

(I would prefer to stay anonymous for some time, as I shouldn't really be working on such a project in my free time)

Hey, here we go, very, very alpha version, yet shooting, moving and killling is implemented.

I tested it on HTC Sensation, so game might suck big balls on lower resolution phones (I had only chance to see it on HTC Hero, and it was a bit messy there)

Few infos:

left square - move
right circle - shot

top bar - energy

Steering

- left part of square - turn left
- right part of square - turn right
- top part of square - move forward (the higher you touch, the faster it will move)

Clicking on square multiple times works much better than holding ur finger on it (I need to solve it out)

- If you fly too long in one direction, you will be teleported on the other edge of map (noticable by background change)

Kill em all!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones