Solid red screen with white Verizon logoSupport

1. nik lauder

nik lauder Member

I have a Verizon GS4 with JB 4.3. When I pulled my phone out of my pocket, the screen was solid red with a white Verizon logo. The logo tail shows a pulse and my blue notification led is pulsing.

Rebooting, battery pulls, wipe data partition, and repeated factory data resets, in recovery mode, have not changed this display when the phone reboots. (I even tried a fdr with the SD card out of the phone.) I can get the screen to go dark with the power button but the power off option never appears.

I'm thinking that somehow the KK update started in my pocket because the phone was warm when I pulled it out and I have never seen this display before.

Is there some other way to interrupt what is going on and go back to JB?

Advertisement
  2. MYKEL61

MYKEL61 Well-Known Member

Not sure how you can go back, but that is definitely one of the Kit Kat changes from Verizon.. the big red Verizon screen
  3. lotus49

lotus49 Well-Known Member

Can you boot into recovery? If so, you can flash a new ROM from there.

If not, can you get into download mode? If so, you can use Odin to flash a ROM.
    nik lauder likes this.
  4. nik lauder

nik lauder Member

How do I flash a ROM? Isn't that rooting? I am standard JB or was.
    Isn't Odin also rooting?
  5. nik lauder

nik lauder Member

Took the phone into Verizon. They said that all that could be done I had already done. They couldn't reflash to solve the problem. They will provide a replacement.
  6. lotus49

lotus49 Well-Known Member

Flashing a ROM and rooting are two separate things. You can use Odin to flash a ROM and if it's a stock ROM, your phone will stay unrooted. If you flash a third party ROM it will normally be rooted already.

Fortunately for you, it looks as though you needn't worry about any of this if you are going to be given a new phone.