• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Solution for screen brightness?

Entayan

Lurker
Oct 28, 2012
Hey all,
I am really new at this, and was wondering if anyone had a solution for getting the screen auto brightness working on the LG Shine Plus? I know that LG killed the driver, but I was wondering if anyone knew of a custom rom or mod that fixes this problem.

Hey all,
I am really new at this, and was wondering if anyone had a solution for getting the screen auto brightness working on the LG Shine Plus? I know that LG killed the driver, but I was wondering if anyone knew of a custom rom or mod that fixes this problem.

Hey,

I actually found a workaround a while back, but never posted it... It's not super "user friendly" either. It involves messing with scripts and such.

I've also enabled the actual checkbox in my custom ROM, although it does nothing... The light sensors don't seem to register anything.

Here's the script I built for myself. What it'll do is auto adjust your brightness according to the light sensor... But you can't play around with it unless you mess with the script itself.

To run the script, unzip it, save the 99autobright.sh on your SD card. You have to get Script Manager from the Play Store, run the script in it and have it run on boot (Checkmark). This solution is a temporary one... The real fix would be to import proximity/light sensor code from another phone (Like the p500h) into our kernel. I don't have enough time to actually do this though. So I don't think it'll happen. ;)

View attachment 99autobright.zip

Reactions: Entayan
Upvote 0
Thanks!
I think that I shall give that a try. Would this temporary fix be dependant on the script manager downloaded? If you uninstall the script manager, will it not run on boot?
I've always wanted to understand this kind of stuff, but never really had the time to. How did you get the script to take input from the light sensor, anyways? It's disappointing that this feature doesn't automatically come with the phone, as it is already a hardware feature ;)
Anyways, your efforts are most certainly appreciated, as I now have another mini-project to do (endless fun when it comes to computers and such; the tinkering, I mean). Thanks again! :)

Upvote 0
Thanks!
I think that I shall give that a try. Would this temporary fix be dependant on the script manager downloaded? If you uninstall the script manager, will it not run on boot?
I've always wanted to understand this kind of stuff, but never really had the time to. How did you get the script to take input from the light sensor, anyways? It's disappointing that this feature doesn't automatically come with the phone, as it is already a hardware feature ;)
Anyways, your efforts are most certainly appreciated, as I now have another mini-project to do (endless fun when it comes to computers and such; the tinkering, I mean). Thanks again! :)

See, the hardware is there... But the software doesn't interact with it anymore. Which is why we don't have auto brightness and that LG disabled it (Probably because they couldn't get it running on Gingerbread).

What the script does is feed values directly to registers that interact with the hardware (Simplifying alot, but you get the idea). When you reboot, the default values are brought back because it's not the driver interacting with it, you're feeding values which just don't stick. The script just works around not having an ambient light sensor driver inside the kernel. I'd actually add the driver to the kernel if I had time to learn how, but... If LG couldn't do it, don't really think someone who isn't code oriented like me could.

Upvote 0
Thanks! I put the file on my sd and got it running at boot just like you suggested. I think it's working now, though I can't tell (I'm pretty sure that's the point, anyways). Thanks for the solution!
I was actually wondering, since I have a terminal app on my phone (and plan to use it), if you could help me with some of the basic scripting (and terminal . . . errr . . . ing). I'm pretty sure that it uses a lot of the same commands as regular linux (right?) but obviously cut down. I run Slackware on one of my old machines (trying to get dsixda's kitchen working on it) and I guess I'm used to the fact that it has so many command packages (I don't know if you know what I mean, because I can't think of the actual term for some reason) many of which are extremely similar to command prompt in windows.
I know that I must come across as very green when it comes to all this (party because I am), but I am very interested in learning how this all works. I know that, since I learned scripting in windows, it became very useful for doing tasks that I used to do by hand. Thanks for all your help so far, by the way :)

Upvote 0
Thanks! I put the file on my sd and got it running at boot just like you suggested. I think it's working now, though I can't tell (I'm pretty sure that's the point, anyways). Thanks for the solution!
I was actually wondering, since I have a terminal app on my phone (and plan to use it), if you could help me with some of the basic scripting (and terminal . . . errr . . . ing). I'm pretty sure that it uses a lot of the same commands as regular linux (right?) but obviously cut down. I run Slackware on one of my old machines (trying to get dsixda's kitchen working on it) and I guess I'm used to the fact that it has so many command packages (I don't know if you know what I mean, because I can't think of the actual term for some reason) many of which are extremely similar to command prompt in windows.
I know that I must come across as very green when it comes to all this (party because I am), but I am very interested in learning how this all works. I know that, since I learned scripting in windows, it became very useful for doing tasks that I used to do by hand. Thanks for all your help so far, by the way :)

Well, to be honest, with busybox, you have most of the standard linux commands which can be used... So scripting is just like linux shell scripting.

If you wanna mess with your phone through a console though, I strongly suggest you read up on getting adb installed. adb exists in linux and windows and can be installed with the Android SDK. Some standalone solutions exist though, so you can look for that...

I personally have an Ubuntu partition for kernel compiling and cygwin for messing around with dsixda's kitchen...

I'd love to help further, but I don't really have time to play around with Android as much anymore... Sorry! I'm happy with what's been accomplished with the Shine Plus for the time being, so... All the left over quirks, I can live with. ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones