• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Solution to not being able to connect to wifi

M

Member654093

I found an issue I believe is due to Android operating system, and it might cause some of the reported wifi problems.

It seems that in bad cellular coverage (it seems to be mainly where there is only 2G coverage) trying to connect to a wifi access point with god signal strength, there is a bug that get the phone to reset the wifi connection all the time making it impossible to use the wifi connection nor cellular connection.

The symptoms when you turn on the wifi can be
* "Obtaining IP Address from XXXX" and it never finish
* "Obtaining IP Address from XXXX" works fine and then the next step never finish

I have seen this on a Sony Ericsson X10 min pro and Samsung G3 on two different continents.

The solution is simple, change the (hidden away menue) setting to
Menu -> Settings -> Wireless and network -> Wifi settings -> Menu -> Advanced -> Wi-Fi sleep policy -> Never
or
Menu -> Settings -> Wireless and network -> Wifi settings -> Menu -> Advanced -> Wi-Fi sleep policy -> Never when connected
instead of the default.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones