• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Solution to Syncing Outlook on the Droid

What I really would like to see is an app that RELIABLY and CONSISTENTLY synchs MS Outlook contacts, calendar, notes and tasks, WITHOUT GOING THROUGH GOOGLE and WITHOUT USING MS EXCHANGE.

The only app I have found that is remotely close to Palm-type synching is Companion Link/DejaOffice. However, having tried two versions of their SW (CL USB and CL Express), the results have been less than thrilling. For example, calendar events not all synching, different calendar events synching with each new synch, contacts not always merging with the Droid contacts app, inability to use the Droid "star" function in Droid contacts after synching with CL, exceedingly long synch times, etc. Frankly, it's been a bit of a nightmare.

Does ANYONE know of a better, non-Google integrated/non-MS Exchange, way to synch MS Outlook with Droid (similar to how I used to synch my Palm device with Palm Desktop)?

Upvote 0
For calendar, I use gSyncit (one way Outlook to Google Calendar) and it works great. I tried Google Calendar Sync and had a ton of problems (not syncing everything for one reason or another) in addition to the lack of features (like being able to sync to a non-primary calendar). Unfortunately my company has disabled the ability to directly sync with Exchange, hence having go go down this route. I don't use it to sync anything other than the calendar, though.

Upvote 0
joncarwash: I had the exact opposite experience of you. I purchased gsyncit, and it worked pretty well w my contacts, but terribly with my calendar! It doubled all my info from google to outlook. Items in outlook that were dismissed from up to 12 years ago where now showing back up in outlook when I synced!

gcal did a very good job for me on the calendar sync. I wish that they would just add in support for the contacts! Sorry to the OP for conflicting statements, I too would love to have a good solution.

I was recently at a national sales meeting where 2 others had a droid, and both said they had very good luck with companionlink. I might try that, though I am bothered about spending money on gsyncit and now on another program that doesn't have a stellar rating...

Upvote 0
I'm a little confused by all the 3rd party apps being discussed here. I have a Droid Eris and was syncing with Outlook with no problems and not using Google apps. I have outlook using MS exchange at work. Then 2.1 OTA came along and it wiped all of my contacts. When I re-synced everything got jumbled. For some asinine reason, you cannot access Sync Manager until after you hook up and sync so I could not choose the right option. Now I try adding family to the Sense favorites app and every time I sync it removes them from the favorites. Any solutions besides 3rd party apps? Why did it work fine in 1.5 and not in 2.1?

Upvote 0
What I really would like to see is an app that RELIABLY and CONSISTENTLY synchs MS Outlook contacts, calendar, notes and tasks, WITHOUT GOING THROUGH GOOGLE and WITHOUT USING MS EXCHANGE.

The only app I have found that is remotely close to Palm-type synching is Companion Link/DejaOffice. However, having tried two versions of their SW (CL USB and CL Express), the results have been less than thrilling. For example, calendar events not all synching, different calendar events synching with each new synch, contacts not always merging with the Droid contacts app, inability to use the Droid "star" function in Droid contacts after synching with CL, exceedingly long synch times, etc. Frankly, it's been a bit of a nightmare.

Does ANYONE know of a better, non-Google integrated/non-MS Exchange, way to synch MS Outlook with Droid (similar to how I used to synch my Palm device with Palm Desktop)?

It amazes me that review pundits ignore the most popular PIM in the world, "MS OUTLOOK." I guess if the media ignores it so does the developers.

Android needs to meet the business world as well as the kids.

Please, Android developers, integrate seamlessly with Outlook before Windows phones hit the market in October.

Upvote 0
Haven't tried gsynchit or the google synch application yet, but have already tried Companionlink. With Vista/32 and Palm Desktop 6.2.1 (6.2.2 doesn't synch everything with my Treo650 correctly), Companionlink starts to run, then bombs and fails in the Palm Calendar. It's only been 6 business hours but still, no response from them as to why.

So much for the higher priced spread.<G>

Upvote 0
Okay Folks,

I have the solution that works perfect! I am not an IT guy, but I refuse to be thrashed about by such an inept reality as not being able to adequately synch and edit calendars with my exchange server and Outlook.

My biggest gripe has been the inability to edit calendar events on the Droid X that were created on Outlook. In my case (which is probably yours too), I was able to edit events created on the handheld (either in Outlook or the handheld), but if created on Outlook, I could only edit them in outlook. The choice on the handheld (Droid X) was to delete it - ONLY!

So here's the trick, and it works perfectly:

Synch your handheld calendar with gmail.
De-select synching your calendar with your exchange server on the handheld.
Have your outlook synch with your exchange server

With these settings, you do not get double events, and you are able to edit to your hearts delight on the handheld. AND....because you are still tied into the exchange through your Outlook, folks can still see your calendar for scheduling meetings.

These setting allowed me to uninstall Touchdown, which worked but was a pain (I used it only to edit events. How silly.)

I hope this all makes sense.

Good luck!

DG

Upvote 0
Just to throw another idea into the fray... There is an app available on the Market called VCOrgainzer. It is a paid app and costs something really odd, like $7.39. The Dev has a PC companion app that will either sync your stuff (all your stuff) to an internal PIM (which actually doesn't look too bad) or to Outlook. I have been using it about a month and it works great. I sync over a WiFi network directly to Outlook 2007. It doesn't use the cloud and as long as it is on either the phone or in Outlook, it ends up in both places. You might want to give this a try. I have had ZERO issues (knocking on wood while typing is somewhat difficult.)

BigRedGonzo

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Hi everyone. I'm probably a future Droid owner, but I have a great doubt that I would like if someone could help me with. I'm using a Windows mobile phone, and I syncronize all my email folders perfectly with Outlook 2007. I want to know if Android has an app o program that syncronizes email folders apart from the calendar, contacts, tasks and notes. I've been reading for a couple of days diferent forums, apps markets, etc., but I really can't find this. Thanks for your possible help. Roman.

Upvote 0
I'm new to this Forum and totally new to the idea of Syncing Outlook with my Motorola Xoom/Droid (Honeycomb). When downloading Companion do I download it on my laptop or Xoom or both?

Hello KayMW,

In the end, I was unable to get the whole system to work flawlessly with outlook. I bailed completely, and am now using Gmail, Gcalendar, etc., etc. It works perfect!

I simply have my corporate email server redirect all professional email to my gmail. Once again, it works great.

Good luck.

DG

Upvote 0
Hello KayMW,

In the end, I was unable to get the whole system to work flawlessly with outlook. I bailed completely, and am now using Gmail, Gcalendar, etc., etc. It works perfect!

I simply have my corporate email server redirect all professional email to my gmail. Once again, it works great.

Good luck.

DG

Thanks DG. Now that I have Outlook synchronized with Google calendar, how do I sync it with my Xoom tablet calendar so I can access the calendar when I'm not within a wifi hotspot?

KayMW

Upvote 0
Thanks DG. Now that I have Outlook synchronized with Google calendar, how do I sync it with my Xoom tablet calendar so I can access the calendar when I'm not within a wifi hotspot?

KayMW

KayMW,

I'm no expert, but if no Wi-Fi is available, you'll need to sync via a cable. Whether it is wi-Dick or cable, your lastsync will remain on your Zoom and Outlook. Tricky,the Wi-Fi only. Insoluble accustomed to 3g synching in real time with Google. Good luck.

Upvote 0
This thread started over a year and a half ago... is there really still no easy solution for syncing between Droid and Outlook?

I got a D3 yesterday, after being on BB for the last 3 years, and quite frankly - I am addicted to the ease of synchronization between my BB and Outlook. (I use it for work and have no choice on the Outlook platform... and I really, really miss my synchronized notes, tasks, emails, contacts and calendar.)

I tried the Corporate Sync, but I'm getting login errors... I downloaded Touchdown, but even when I tell it to fetch emails from the last two weeks, it only returns with the handful of emails I've gotten since I installed it... (and it doesn't have notes and the calendar won't sync with the calendar widget on my homescreen.)

I need the older emails and I need an easy way to sync back and forth between my phone and my Outlook... help? anyone?

Upvote 0
I want a product/solution to sync Outlook to Gmail/Google. Then have my Droid sync to Gmail to pull down all of this information. Or some solution, so that Gmail and my Droid have the same information as my Outlook client.

I have 4 different Contacts folders in Outlook, not sub-folders that I would like to sync. I would like the name, name prefix, name suffix, contact pictures, company, address, email address, website, phone numbers, birthdays, anniversaries to be synced.

Will the product sync all 4 folders of contacts to Gmail/Google?

Will it create the same 4 folders with the contacts in them in Gmail/Google as they are in Outlook?

Will the product sync all Tasks?

Will products sync all calendar events?

Has anyone found a product that can match this wishlist?

Upvote 0
having had the og droid from day 1, a d2g and d3 now and coming from a BB here is what i learned.

1. if you have exchange, droid works great in sync with outlook on your desktop
2. if you have pop, works sort of ok, but not like BB. remember, with bb, it was going thru their server, not your pop.
3. with google calendar sync, you can sync outlook calendar very well.

But after all this time, pop/outlook still not as nice as BB

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones